Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL recommendations list

In Googling in an attempt to see if Barber's piano music had ever been considered, I stumbled across this site, which at first sight seems a veritable treasure trove (and worth pinning at the top of the page?).
    Did anyone else know if its existence?

Recordings picked as first choices on BBC Radio 3's "Building a Library", with the year of broadcast and any supplementary recommendations. Perpetually ongoing. Spotify playlists (split into two owing to size): [http://open.spotify.com/user/camembert/playlist/5Kl1YePEt4N1FQ13Nr3Vy9,everything since 15 June 2013 in chronological order] and [https://open.spotify.com/user/camembert/playlist/0rZ0qPn6Bn6JwcYkEPtF2h, everything earlier year by year]

Building a Library recommendations

A list by stilton[List186794] | heart+247

Recordings picked as first choices on BBC Radio 3's "Building a Library", with the year of broadcast and any supplementary recommendations. Perpetually ongoing.

Spotify playlists (split into two owing to size): everything since 15 June 2013 in chronological order and everything earlier year by year
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 29-01-24, 15:02. Reason: Typo corrected and question mark added!

Many thanks, a great find, interesting and useful and a real labour of love to compile.

Comment

I hadn't see it before. It's quite amazing. I wonder who does this sort of thing and how much work it involves.

Comment

I found scrolling through a bit afflicted by intrusive adverts (particularly at the bottom of the page, where a bit of juggling was needed to go to the next page or jump ahead/back link), but indeed truly amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          I found scrolling through a bit afflicted by intrusive adverts (particularly at the bottom of the page, where a bit of juggling was needed to go to the next page or jump ahead/back link), but indeed truly amazing!!
          Astonishing…. V interesting to browse through.

(I’ve generally avoided Spotify but I suspect subscribers avoid the ‘adverts’ issue by paying them money?)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Astonishing…. V interesting to browse through.

(I’ve generally avoided Spotify but I suspect subscribers avoid the ‘adverts’ issue by paying them money?)
            I avoided adverts by having Adblocker. On this occasion they didn't plead with me to disable it either on account of the adverts supporting the website.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

... but isn't the BBC's excel listing easier to read? (See bottom of page, under 'Related Links' here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                ... but isn't the BBC's excel listing easier to read? (See bottom of page, under 'Related Links' here.)
                Ah! I thought that there was a list somewhere, but thought it had originally been as a side link here and hence when I didn't find it I went Googling elsewhere.
                Who'd have thought that the BBC were that organised?

Maybe this thread could be edited (maybe just its title) and/or a sticky created with both these links.
                This one I stumbled on also claims to have Spotify links, so might be differently useful.

Over to the hosts.

Comment

We have our own resource - apply to Darloboy, or wait for him to post the details he has.

In about May 1922 I sent him some printed yearly lists (apply to the Beeb with an SAE in those days of course, IIRC) for the period September 1988 to July 1991​ - and he said his lists went back to September 1991. Which it seems precedes the period of the spreadsheet linked to on the BBC programme page.

Comment

I had come across those Spotify BaL lists previously and posted links (during lockdown). They seemed to be useful at the time but I haven't actually used them that much. Interesting also to have stilton's nicely presented website list. (There's a cheese pseudonym thing going on here - the Spotify list compiler is called camembert.)

I don't seem to have mastered the art of linking to a previous post under the new system. The link below is a link to my search by which I found the post in question. This was the only way I seemed to be able to do it,

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      We have our own resource - apply to Darloboy, or wait for him to post the details he has.

In about May 1922 I sent him some printed yearly lists (apply to the Beeb with an SAE in those days of course, IIRC) for the period September 1988 to July 1991​ - and he said his lists went back to September 1991. Which it seems precedes the period of the spreadsheet linked to on the BBC programme page.
                      Thanks, I've put all of those recommendations into an Excel spreadsheet - I've also used the Radio Time genome to add whatever was covered in any given week going back to 1957 - as I think I've said previously, I've obviously got too much time on my hands. I'm happy to share if anyone's interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        In Googling in an attempt to see if Barber's piano music had ever been considered... ​
                        No, it hasn't. The only music by Barber which has ever been covered by BaL is: Knoxville (twice); Symphony Nos. 1 and 2 (in a single programme); and the Violin Concerto.

Comment

Working...
                        X