Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILER ALERT - if you don't want to know the selected performance (I'll be listening later this afternoon).

Per the page on Sounds (set out, on far right, below):
    Handel and Haydn Society Orchestra
    Harry Christophers (conductor)
    Coro COR16181​

Comment

Not so surprising perhaps with our Sir Velo flagging up winner and Heighesy odds on to go HIPP.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Not so surprising perhaps with our Sir Velo flagging up winner and Heighesy odds on to go HIPP.
        Should have gone to the bookies and had a flutter on that pairing. Think we would have got very good odds!

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
          A surprising result, but not an unreasonable one. Personally, I’m a big fan of the runner-up, Minkowski’s set of all of the London symphonies.
          But can you live with his "Surprise" symphony on repeated hearings?

Comment

Only four responses post library build, maybe some sort of record. Has the apathy around the programme already started with the ridiculous afternoon slot pending?

Comment

Only four responses post library build, maybe some sort of record. Has the apathy around the programme already started with the ridiculous afternoon slot pending?
              To be honest, I took away the impression this was one of his more forgettable symphonies. And I don't always mind the two-person format, but on this occasion A McG drove me mad...

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

But can you live with his "Surprise" symphony on repeated hearings?
                Well, here’s the thing. It’s disqualified itself as a library choice, but I’d only listen to this symphony once every five or ten years, so it’s quite fun to be surprised by such a surprising….er surprise.

Back to 100, I’ve just listened to Christopher’s, much enjoyed it, reminding me why I love Haydn’s music so much. Can’t ask much more than that.

Comment

I understand your reasoning ! It's a bit like Harnoncourt's Paris symphonies set...not for repeated listening, but fun to hear every so often.

Comment

Possibly a reflection of the level of interest in Haydn symphonies in general and this one in particular?

Comment

Strange though it was a HIPP winner he seemed to like in particular the very noisy percussion which he seemed to admit included a number of instruments not in the score .

Was Colin Davis even mentioned ?

Comment

Yes, IIRC Colin Davis was the first to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Strange though it was a HIPP winner he seemed to like in particular the very noisy percussion which he seemed to admit included a number of instruments not in the score .

Was Colin Davis even mentioned ?
                          Admired early on as an example of good old big band Haydn. If I wanted that approach, the Davis set is certainly very fine - but it is rather leaden-footed, occasionally sluggish, compared with Minkowski and Christophers.

Comment

I liked the Christopher with the Turkish Percussion. It put me in the mind of the Mozart VC with the Turkish Episode

Comment

Odd that Heighes dismissed Kuijken's harpsichord continuo choice - London instrument makers were still producing large harpsichords at that time and I don't see why it might not have been used. Whether you like it or not is another matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X