No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 9.03.24 - Schubert: Symphony No 9, Great

I don’t envy EA this list !
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 15-03-24, 09:55.

I have lots Barbirolli ( both versions prefer the 1960s one) Krips, Furtwangler,Solti ,Savall ( probably favourite to win and very good) , Erich Kleiber ( another cracker) , Beecham,Boult,Blomstedt ,Jochum, Abbado,Bernstein(DG). Too many though I like them all.

Comment

This is another work open to different interpretations, so recommending one version is surely otiose. I've often heard it said that it's a very difficult work to conduct ; not technically, of course; one can simply beat time; but managing the tempo changes without an overall plan can be tricky.

There are many 'classic' versions: my short list would include Furtwangler, Klemperer, Colin Davis (Boston S.O.) and Boult. More recently , many will recall Bernard Haitink's superb performance at the 2015 Proms (goodness, already nearly nine years ago!) which was televised. I've recently listened tohis 1975 Concertgebouw recording which is utterly satisfying.

Comment

For me the most satisfying version of this symphony has to be that of Le Concert des Nations under the baton of Jordi Savall. Other recordings which are worthy of attention include but are not limited to Minkowski; Norrington; Jacobs; Bruggen; Gardiner.et al.

Comment

What a huge field. My own favourites include – in no particular order – Boult (LPO/EMI – though the pre-war BBCSO is fascinating and there's a terrific late BBCSO performance), Jochum, Mackerras (all three versions – OAE, SCO, Philharmonia), Bruno Walter, Kempe (Munich PO), Klemperer, Solti (VPO), Bernstein (Concertgebouw on CD and BRSO on DVD), Böhm (Dresden), Barbirolli, Munch (Boston SO), Szell (Sony), Wand (several different versions), Brüggen – and I'm sure there are more I've forgotten. Only one or two I actively dislike.

Comment

The Mackerras/Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment version is very fine. And Roy Goodman with the Hanover Band has often been commended, too.

Comment

We did our Summer BaL in 2015. https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...n-c-major-d944
              Since then in addition to the ones I chipped in with there I have acquire three more - all good, all older

Carl Schuricht - Stuttgart Radio Orch (1957) now a favourite
              Tennstedt - LPO (Live Festival Hall 1984) BBC Legends Vol 3 Box
              Herbert Blomstedt - Staatskapelle Dresden (1981) Good value Brilliant Classics Complete Schubert Symph reissue

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                The Mackerras/Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment version is very fine. And Roy Goodman with the Hanover Band has often been commended, too.
                That's the version I have.

The BBC MM offering (Volume 2, Number 5) is a 1991 Proms performance by the BBCSSO under Takuo Yuasa.
                The fourth movement also features on the recent incomplete works Scottish Chamber Orchestra 50th anniversary issue (Volume 32, Number 4), conducted by Maxim Emelyanychev, taken from their Linn recording.

Comment

I've much enjoyed the Scottish Chamber Orchestra/Maxim Emelyanychev issue but it might be a bit quirky as a BaL choice. More recently, I bought the Leipzig Gewandhaus/Herbert Blomstedt in Hong Kong a couple of months ago (as a Japanese MQA-SHM CD). Mainstream, yes; old-fashioned, no. I think it's terrific.

Comment

Several years ago I was complaining on here about being unable to find a Schubert 9 that satisfied. Fast forward to now and I think I've found the ones that do the business.

Cleveland Orchestra/Szell (1957, Sony)
                    Leipzig Gewandhaus/Blomstedt, (2022,DG)
                    Dresden Staatskapelle/Bohm (1979, DG)
                    Philharmonia/Klemperer (1960, EMI/Warner)

My total favourite, though, has to the COE/Haitink Prom already mentioned. I was present at that performance and found it ideal in every way.

Any recordings that have underpowered timpani and/or end the work on a diminuendo are ruled out of court for me. Prefer not to have the unnecessary and contrived finale repeat too.
                    Last edited by Petrushka; 02-03-24, 23:09. Reason: Klemperer added!
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      You have reminded me that I recently acquired Hangover/Goodman from a giveaway box at the Kölner Hochschule and haven’t spun it yet. And if the first movement of Schubert 9 (or 8 as the Germans often call it) isn’t breakfast music I don’t know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

You have reminded me that I recently acquired Hangover/Goodman from a giveaway box at the Kölner Hochschule and haven’t spun it yet. And if the first movement of Schubert 9 (or 8 as the Germans often call it) isn’t breakfast music I don’t know what is.
                        Love it!
                        Did they all spend too much time in the pub after their last gig?

Comment

I forget where I first came across that nickname but it stuck!

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                            I forget where I first came across that nickname but it stuck!
                            Tony Halstead​ should be able to confirm or deny how apposite the sobriquet was!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Tony Halstead​ should be able to confirm or deny how apposite the sobriquet was!
                              THE Tony Halstead?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X