Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've discovered that I have two copies of the Lea Pocket Scores (must have forgotten or not had the UK-bought set with me when living abroad for a while).
    If anyone would like one, send me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the post.

Comment

Weren't they wonderful! And 60p each at one time. A good way to acquire quite a lot of the old 'collected editions': Bach Gesellschaft,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        Weren't they wonderful! And 60p each at one time. A good way to acquire quite a lot of the old 'collected editions': Bach Gesellschaft,etc.
        Yes: those 'ones I bought earlier' were indeed 60p each. Makes $1.35 look positively excessive (unless that was for both; the price is pencilled on only one of the volumes). Still on offer to a good home.

Comment

Bumping the thread in anticipation of this morning's edition.
          Scores still available if anyone would like them.

Comment

I find I bought the Gester record. I assume this must have been after a positive review in IRR as Lindsay Kemp in Gramophone is dismissive . I should probably dig them out before this morningā€™s BAL for a quick spin but have been enjoying Barbirolliā€™s Schubert 9 too much.

Comment

Oops! Going well (and showing that a twofer can work if the reviewer is not constantly interrupted) until the start of the fifth concerto!
              Some nice contrasts in approaches to the music.

Comment

Ah well, the winner has been sitting in my library for quarter of a century.

Comment

A summary of all that for those that are interested. A very good Bal I thought. Hats off to those in the studio that was lot of short clips. The numbers refer to the time approx the music was played .

AAM/Manze (D)

10.38 Op6 no 2 (nice playing EH )

10.48 No 4 (lovely string playing EH) reviewer likes the feeling of space

10.56 No, ? Larghetto (I prefer this one so far )

10.59 No. 9 Larghetto (they like this elegant)

11.02 No 10 Overture fugue section - again wonderful say the reviewers and I agree

WINNER quick silvered , drama , nothing left unsaid

11.09 final clip No 12 2nd movement

AAM Berlin/Forck (CD) (2019 recording)
                  10.58 No 9 bit of a cold recording they think

ASMF/Brown (PCD, D)
                  10.36 Op. 6 No.2 -recording left out at 10.55 ish

Avison Ensemble/Beznosiuk (D)
                  10.46 No..4
                  11,05 No 10 lyrical and virtuosic and elegant in the fugue , good string playing

English Concert/Pinnock (D)
                  10.33 Op.6 No. 1 light springy playing
                  10.43 No.3 4th movt (well articulated)
                  10.59 Oops ā€¦No.5 eventually..they like this
                  11.01 No 10 Overture Standish on fiddle

Giardino Armonico//Antonini (D)
                  10.44 No 3 v different from Pinnock , (rather rustic village band in feel EH)
                  10.51 No 5 - good violin attack and two harpsichords
                  10.53 No. 5 not deep and rich enough , better live ? Goodbye at this point

Concentus Musicus Wien Harnoncourt
                  10.31 Op. 6 No 1 heavy recording out at 10.55

ā€‹

Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 16-03-24, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                    Ah well, the winner has been sitting in my library for quarter of a century.
                    AAM/Manze, highlighted in the original post (though perhaps not in the same red that Alpie used; I'm still learning my colours!).

And thanks to EH for his summary of coverage.

Comment

I missed the programme - what was the recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

AAM/Manze, highlighted in the original post (though perhaps not in the same red that Alpie used; I'm still learning my colours!).

And thanks to EH for his summary of coverage.
                        No problem. I tuned in under the mistaken impression it was Madama Butterfly this week. Iā€™m glad I did because it reminded me what wonderful works these are .
                        I suspect the extracts will be longer next week ā€¦.it will also I think be much harder to choose a winner . There are half a dozen plus outstanding recordings recorded by most of the greats of verismo spinto soprano singing ..

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
                          I missed the programme - what was the recommendation?
                          AAM/Manze (as mentioned in my post of 11:15, and now highlighted in the original listing).

Comment

As I said of AAM/Manze in an earlier post (#10 - "a joy") but I'll forego the smug emoticon as it could just as easily have been Pinnock - which I particularly like listening to in its original vinyl form. I acquired the Antonini when it was released but didn't much take to it probably because, well, it wasn't Pinnock. So it has been gathering dust pretty much ever since. Sarah M-P was a refreshing stand-in for A McG and the discussion less discursive than has sometimes been the case. Many thanks to EH for his detailed exegesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

AAM/Manze (as mentioned in my post of 11:15, and now highlighted in the original listing).

Thank you

Manze again. Bit pointless, really.

Comment

I had a friend, recently retired, inthe Orpheus CO who kindly gifted me their set in the late nineties and I added the Beznosiuk Alison ensemble set to have one in SACD and HIPP. They have scratched that itch for a few decades now

Comment

Working...
                                X