Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    Has this thread got into the wrong place? Took me a while to find it....
    No, this thread is where it's always been. Some off-topic posts were moved to a new thread about other recordings discussed on RR.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

No, this thread is where it's always been. Some off-topic posts were moved to a new thread about other recordings discussed on RR.
      That's odd. On my version, it comes up in Record Review general, not in BAL.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

That's odd. On my version, it comes up in Record Review general, not in BAL.
        BaL has always been in Record Review. If you click on Building a Library on the homepage you go straight to this sub-forum. If you click on Record Review you have to scroll down to see the topic titles. But there are now two stickies above it.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

BaL has always been in Record Review. If you click on Building a Library on the homepage you go straight to this sub-forum. If you click on Record Review you have to scroll down to see the topic titles. But there are now two stickies above it.
          Other BAL threads are here https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...ding-a-library

The War Requiem thread here is misplaced

Comment

Originally posted by vibratoforever View Post

Other BAL threads are here https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...ding-a-library

The War Requiem thread here is misplaced
            Yes, it seems I was wrong. I will see what can be done about it

I think this has fixed it.

Comment

Back in right place, thank you!

Comment

Yes, it seems I was wrong. I will see what can be done about it

I think this has fixed it.
                Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post

While you might be lucky enough to find a copy by chance in a Charity Shop, they are not available commercially either as CDs or downloads, so it seems perfectly sensible to exclude them from consideration from BAL.

It would be a very strange BAL that chose a BBCMM CD in 1st place with the instruction to go searching in charity shops to try and find a 2nd hand copy.
                  That 1943 Menuhin/Boulr recording of the Brahms Violin Concerto would be a worthy contender as would Ida H's last ever Prom of the Britten from 1994.

Comment

As this was the last morning BAL ironic it was another example of the random nature of their choices for BAL - it was done in 2009 and 2017 before today and some great works disappear for 20-30 years from BAL.

Britten won in 2009 according to Presto and Hickox was also recommended in 2017 not clear who won .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      As this was the last morning BAL ironic it was another example of the random nature of their choices for BAL - it was done in 2009 and 2017 before today and some great works disappear for 20-30 years from BAL.

Britten won in 2009 according to Presto and Hickox was also recommended in 2017 not clear who won .
                      I think you'll find that the 'also recommended' applies to the Sinfonia da requiem.
                      You have to be careful with the Presto site; it's not always clear which element of a compilation won the accolade.
                      The BBC BaL spreadsheet listing shows that the War Requiem was covered in 2009 and the Sinfonia in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I think you'll find that the 'also recommended' applies to the Sinfonia da requiem.
                        You have to be careful with the Presto site; it's not always clear which element of a compilation won the accolade.
                        The BBC BaL spreadsheet listing shows that the War Requiem was covered in 2009 and the Sinfonia in 2017.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio3/b...1999-2023.xlsx
                        Yes, the Hickox Sinfonia recording is paired on CD with the War Requiem hence the confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Bemusedbyitall View Post

Yes, the Hickox Sinfonia recording is paired on CD with the War Requiem hence the confusion
                          Sinfonia playing right now on 'Classical Live'.

Comment

Oh I see

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio3/b...1999-2023.xlsx
                              And prior to 2009, Peter Paul Nash chose John Eliot Gardiner in May 1998. I do recall that the Hickox received lots of accolades when it first came out...

Comment

Working...
                              X