Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have many recordings of the Sea Symphony but the one I always return to is Haitink. The sense of being drenched by a large wave as the choir sings "Behold the Sea" is overwhelming.

Comment

I had the pleasure of singing in a performance in Oxford Town Hall in May 2011.
      Sadly (rather like Boult's Tippett 2) things went awry a few bars in, and we had to start again!

Lots of wonderful music, but my favourite part (probably mentioned before) is the very short orchestral interlude (only some 6 or 7 bars long) just before rehearsal letter B in the fourth movement, between the words 'hidden prophetic intention' and 'Now first it seems', where the 'accompaniment' the choir has had suddenly bursts forth in its own right. Sheer magic!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I had the pleasure of singing in a performance in Oxford Town Hall in May 2011.
        Sadly (rather like Boult's Tippett 2) things went awry a few bars in, and we had to start again!

Lots of wonderful music, but my favourite part (probably mentioned before) is the very short orchestral interlude (only some 6 or 7 bars long) just before rehearsal letter B in the fourth movement, between the words 'hidden prophetic intention' and 'Now first it seems', where the 'accompaniment' the choir has had suddenly bursts forth in its own right. Sheer magic!
        Well these things can happen !!
        I don’t find it too long or too boring at all (!! ) and have a couple of versions, including the Spano/ Atlanta.
        We sang it once at the Southern Cathedrals Festival, great experience, perhaps the most memorable in terms of repertoire ( at the festival) alongside Spem in Alium and the Chichester Psalms.

This should be a good one, great work, fine reviewer. I don’t recall hearing the DON reviewing a choral work previously.

Terrible time for the programme by the way, for all the obvious reasons.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Well I’m here as I have been all day doing the annual accounts (as well as serial forum posting ) at the tense climax of which I got an email reminder from HMRC to not forget to do my annual self assessment return. It’s psychological abuse really….

Thank God for the untaxable RVW..

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The last time I heard the Bridge work broadcast the announcer confidently stated how well it exemplified the influence of Debussy's La Mer; however listening to it I can hear no Debussy influence whatsoever; there is plenty of Wagner in the stormy parts, Grieg (and possibly Delius) in the calm passages. Grace Williams's Sea Sketches I'm coming round to since hearing them the other night, possibly on TTN, having on first hearing found them too derivative. They may be derivative - Sea Sketches is a comparatively early work of Ms Williams - but, as in the case of the Sea Symphony, the derivations along with how they are blended are of interest in themselves, possibly indicating a changed viewpoint on such things on my part of late.
            Bridge wrote his The Sea whilst staying at The Grand Hotel Eastbourne, where Debussy corrected the proofs of La Mer...I wonder if Bridge found something tucked down behind the bed head in room 200?

Don't forget Jean Cras's 'Journal de Bord', one of the few 'sea' pieces actually written at sea (he was a naval officer)...now there is a piece showing the influence of Debussy!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

As for the Sea Symphony itself, I remember one Gramophone reviewer who blithely cited its "obvious debt" to Daphnis and Chloe. I hope somebody pointed out to that gentleman that the Vaughan Williams symphony was written between 1903 and 1909: much of it predates his "French polish sessions" with Ravel, and the work was first performed two years before the Ravel ballet!
              Yes, and don't forget VW played the whole work through to Delius in late 1907 (on the piano at the Langham Hotel) before he went to study with Ravel - Delius suggested d'Indy!

BTW d'Indy wrote some lovely 'sea pieces' after his retirement to Agay, Côte d'Azur, Poème des rivages and Diptyque Méditerranéen for example.

Comment

Recommended version:
                Geraldine McGreevy (soprano)
                Tommi Hakala (baritone)
                MDR Rundfunkchor
                MDR Sinfonieorchester
                Howard Arman (conductor)
                Querstand VKJK0731

​Not even in Alpie's list of available versions.
                (We had visitors, so haven't listened yet; any comments?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Recommended version:
                  Geraldine McGreevy (soprano)
                  Tommi Hakala (baritone)
                  MDR Rundfunkchor
                  MDR Sinfonieorchester
                  Howard Arman (conductor)
                  Querstand VKJK0731

​Not even in Alpie's list of available versions.
                  (We had visitors, so haven't listened yet; any comments?)
                  I bet hardly any one is listening . Just catching up now as I had to go for a post excel spreadsheet head clearing walk.
                  I do think DON is doing sterling work.

Comment

As you might expect, I listen to all of it. A very good review, but I wasn’t expecting that recommendation. As Pulci says, I did even know it existed. I was quite taken with the Bryden Thomson. It’s been added to my “to buy” list

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I bet hardly any one is listening . Just catching up now as I had to go for a post excel spreadsheet head clearing walk.
                      As it happens, I was working in the garage - making a jig for picture hanging. I loathe the sessions of the hanging committee in my household - thank goodness neither of my children live here now, to add to the complications in decision making.

I've always liked David Owen Norris, and he put me in the best frame (sic)of mind for what approaches. He fulfils the ditched mission - Informs, Educates and entertains. I'd already noted the positive comments here for Bryden Thomson's RVW and was very happy to hear the extract played of "the moment" Thomson had identified in the later movement - the same for me. But really, I could happily spend hours and hours listening to nearly all of those mentioned, and enjoying their individual merits.

Love the piece - sang it most recently at the Sage (it was still, then, I think the Sage) last year.

DON has chosen some difficult to hear versions. Paavo Jarvi's Cincinatti "The Planets" (Teldec) wasn't in any streaming service I could find and the CD took a bit of finding. Querstand were the publisher (they publish a lot of books) of the Blomstedt Leipzig Bruckner symphonies which had a limited supply, then at ever rising nla prices until - eventually - it was made available on Accentus. I subscribe to "You Tube Music" - note the full title - and frequently, mostly, I could find a recording not otherwise on streaming services. But not this recording of the Sea Symphony. And with some precision, we'll get to hear none of it now that Record Review extra is banished from the schedules in the first week of the "refresh" - thanks, Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I managed to listen and thought it an excellent survey. I thought both DON and AMG were quite lively and animated, and it was a good listen - not so sleepy now they don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn. Sometimes it could be difficult to catch the mid-morning slot, so I am of a mind to give the new timing a chance before passing judgment. Glad Previn got favourable comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post

I managed to listen and thought it an excellent survey. I thought both DON and AMG were quite lively and animated, and it was a good listen - not so sleepy now they don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn. Sometimes it could be difficult to catch the mid-morning slot, so I am of a mind to give the new timing a chance before passing judgment. Glad Previn got favourable comments.
                          Yep, enjoyed this, but I always enjoy the DON, and his approach does it for me.
                          Lots learned, lots to think about, probably dig out the Previn, and try to hear the winner and maybe the Bryden Thomson.

What I really like about him is the lack of insubstantive waffle, and everything he says is substantive and makes a point.
                          and AMG had a good day, adding just enough .
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Well my comments about hardly any one listening was both wrong and has perhaps flushed quite a few forum listeners out. Could it be there are more listening than would be AM ? Surely not ….

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              try to hear the winner
                              Good luck
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post

Unforeseen circumstances gave me the chance to listen, and I echo the favourable comments, although I was sorry to see some recordings eliminated because their running time made them 'outliers'.
                                The MDR is the oldest radio symphony orchestra in Germany, by the way. It celebrated its centenary last year.
                                Last edited by LMcD; 06-04-24, 19:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X