BaL 27.04.2024 - Monteverdi: Vespers (1610)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Parrott recording - very fine as I recall but I have not listened to it in ages. Monteverdi is one of those composers I admire rather than want to listen to much.

Comment

I appreciate the distinction you make there; I do it with several composers : Bartok and Messiaen, for instance. I'd never deny their importance or originality, but they're not favourites .

I do think, for all his originality, Monteverdi is limited; he tends to write the same sort of music all the time, and he wrote scarcely any instrumental music . But I have to remember that if we had all those missing operas we might have a different view of hm.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I appreciate the distinction you make there; I do it with several composers : Bartok and Messiaen, for instance. I'd never deny their importance or originality, but they're not favourites .

I do think, for all his originality, Monteverdi is limited; he tends to write the same sort of music all the time, and he wrote scarcely any instrumental music . But I have to remember that if we had all those missing operas we might have a different view of hm.
        I am not all that fond of either Poppea or Orfeo - find them very long and static .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I am not all that fond of either Poppea or Orfeo - find them very long and static .
          The worst of them for me is The Return of Ulysses. I remember going to a performance of it at Sadler's Wells many years ago and I thought it would never end.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            There was also an all-male version from Regensburg forces under Schneidt in the mid-70s on Archiv. It was considered quite ground-breaking at the time. I gave it a listen the other day and the 'period' violins now sound rather dated, if you see what I mean!
            I've owned an LP copy of the Regensburg realisation for over 40 years.
            It was high time that I moved on so I was pleased to see that Jeremy Summerley was leading today's BaL for he oozes authority combined with an unquenchable enthusiasm for comparing interpretations. By the time he'd finished I'd gone on-line and ordered a copy of Parrott at an extraordinary bargain basement price complemented by Jeremy's winner- the invigorating new 'in my beginning is my end' version with Pygmalion under the direction of Raphaël Pichon which almost views Monteverdi through the ears of Anton Bruckner. My birthday comes up soon(on the same day as the late Dennis Brain), my wife has paid for my fresh discs but can I wait a fortnight to listen in?
            Last edited by edashtav; 28-04-24, 09:27.

Comment

Recommended version:

Pygmalion / Raphaël Pichon
              Harmonia Mundi HMM90271011​

Comment

... I wasn't totally convinced by Pichon/Pygmalion as a 'library choice'. In concert it wd be thrilling, and for occasional listening his wilful choices - the thrill of the unexpected - would be wonderful. But for repeated listening?

It was so good to hear the range of interpretations of this work, all of them with something to say. Of course I wd also like him to have discussed Stubbs/Tragicomedia, Higginbottom/NCO, Maletta/Madrigale, Kuijken/Petite Bande, Boterf/Ludus Modalis, Bernius/Musica Fiata Koln, Schneidt/Regensburger Domspatzen....

Comment

I had only the second JEG (sorry teamsaint) and ordered a cheap copy of the Parrott after hearing the impressive excerpts today - understandable why it was almost picked again. I liked what I heard of the Pygmalion/Pichon, though, and their Mozart Requiem mashup was one of my highlights of the Proms last year.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... I wasn't totally convinced by Pichon/Pygmalion as a 'library choice'. In concert it wd be thrilling, and for occasional listening his wilful choices - the thrill of the unexpected - would be wonderful. But for repeated listening?

It was so good to hear the range of interpretations of this work, all of them with something to say. Of course I wd also like him to have discussed Stubbs/Tragicomedia, Higginbottom/NCO, Maletta/Madrigale, Kuijken/Petite Bande, Boterf/Ludus Modalis, Bernius/Musica Fiata Koln, Schneidt/Regensburger Domspatzen.....

The Proms plug at the end was a bit rich - there's only ~12mins of Monteverdi

Comment

Error

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Error
                        The loss of Record Review Extra?

I enjoyed this RR & esp. Jeremy Summerly, but hearing the whole Pichon / Pygmalion Vespers (which I don't have) would have helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                          The loss of Record Review Extra?

I enjoyed this RR & esp. Jeremy Summerly, but hearing the whole Pichon / Pygmalion Vespers (which I don't have) would have helped a lot.
                          Indeed. I suppose the loss of RRX may be caused by the cost of 'needletime' but I shall miss it.

Comment

No I posted something from misreading on Presto’s site . I didn’t really enjoy that Mozart Requiem mash up by Pichon so shall stick with my occasional listening to Parrott.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              I bought the Pichon when it was released on the strength of his Matthew Passion which I very much like. I wholly agree with Monsieur V. that, so far, it has not lent itself to repeated listening. I've forgotten who commented above that Monteverdi wasn't necessarily the first composer they turned to if they wanted to listen to something 17th C and choral but I rather agree. I went through a period of over-listening to the JEG recording which then rather put me off the Vespers. I had hoped that the Pichon might rekindle my enthusiasm but, so far, the jury is definitely out on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X