BaL 27.04.2024 - Monteverdi: Vespers (1610)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an admirer of Christine Pluhar, I immediately bought her version when it first came out, but was so disappointed by it.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... I wasn't totally convinced by Pichon/Pygmalion as a 'library choice'. In concert it wd be thrilling, and for occasional listening his wilful choices - the thrill of the unexpected - would be wonderful. But for repeated listening?

It was so good to hear the range of interpretations of this work, all of them with something to say. Of course I wd also like him to have discussed Stubbs/Tragicomedia, Higginbottom/NCO, Maletta/Madrigale, Kuijken/Petite Bande, Boterf/Ludus Modalis, Bernius/Musica Fiata Koln, Schneidt/Regensburger Domspatzen....

I have just listened to the programme. Though Pichon takes some liberties, I have to say that I was won over by the gorgeously rich sound quality. Think I may have to add it to my other versions !

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Pichon takes some liberties, !
        More than this fella?

At least one former forumite will be disappointed that it appears not to have been discussed!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          More than this fella?

At least one former forumite will be disappointed that it appears not to have been discussed!
          Just listened to a selection on Naxos Music Library.
          No, thank you!

BTW what is a Faux-bourdon? DeepL suggests a false bumblebee.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            Just listened to a selection on Naxos Music Library.
            No, thank you!

BTW what is a Faux-bourdon? DeepL suggests a false bumblebee.
            A touch of the AIs?* Although the translation "false drone" could be seen as having some connection with a bumblebee...
            However this might be more helpful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauxbourdon

*Which reminds me, a Zoom session(for the volunteer garden team) last week provided some amusement watching the live text transcription at the bottom of the screen. A combination of the speaker not always speaking very clearly nor being consistent in pronunciation, made for some interesting attempts. Repeated mention of Buxus hedges at one point never did get sorted properly - perhaps the best attempt was "boxers[sic] heads". Some post-session speculation as to whether saying "box hedges" instead of unnecessary use( in this instance) of the Latin might have worked better.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              A touch of the AIs?* Although the translation "false drone" could be seen as having some connection with a bumblebee...
              However this might be more helpful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauxbourdon

*Which reminds me, a Zoom session(for the volunteer garden team) last week provided some amusement watching the live text transcription at the bottom of the screen. A combination of the speaker not always speaking very clearly nor being consistent in pronunciation, made for some interesting attempts. Repeated mention of Buxus hedges at one point never did get sorted properly - perhaps the best attempt was "boxers[sic] heads". Some post-session speculation as to whether saying "box hedges" instead of unnecessary use( in this instance) of the Latin might have worked better.
              Thanks oddoneout, that helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

More than this fella?

Ooh my goodness, yes, I remember the lavish praised heaped upon it by that forumite - it certainly wasn't shared by me!

Comment

I see from the June 2024 edition of BBC Music Magazine, which arrived this morning, that the Pichon recording of Monteverdi's Vespers won their Choral Award.

Comment

Working...
                  X