Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The question is, are the glockenspiel notes actually played incorrectly, or are they as Mahler composed? In listening to the Tenth Symphony yesterday (especially in that extraordinary, almost shocking first movement) I was strongly struck by how much Mahler was an innovator in matters concerning what constituted "wrong" or "right" notes in given musical circumstances.
    Very true. But unless my memory is playing tricks the written notes for the glockenspiel are D in the first song and A in the last, which on the JB/JB recording are played as F and C respectively. It’s particularly bad in the first movement since floating between major and minor is so much of what it’s about, and then for the final sound to be the minor third as opposed to the bare tonic is just not on.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

Very true. But unless my memory is playing tricks the written notes for the glockenspiel are D in the first song and A in the last, which on the JB/JB recording are played as F and C respectively. It’s particularly bad in the first movement since floating between major and minor is so much of what it’s about, and then for the final sound to be the minor third as opposed to the bare tonic is just not on.
      Ok thanks, Oliver.

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
        I'm another who definitely prefers a baritone in these songs - and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gerhaher, with Ozawa and OS Montréal (or maybe I've missed the post?). Excellent recorded sound, and Gerhaher's singing is definitely to my tastes.
        I mentioned Gerhaher with Kent Nagano and the Montreal Symphony as a favourite earlier in this thread. Likewise surprised at lack of further mention here or on BaL.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I mentioned Gerhaher with Kent Nagano and the Montreal Symphony as a favourite earlier in this thread. Likewise surprised at lack of further mention here or on BaL.
          ... I had thought there was a further recording with Gerhaher and a chamber orchestra - but on a closer look it's the Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen with orchestra and the Kindertotenlieder with Gerold Huber on piano. But it's going cheap so I'm certainly going to get it!

Comment

Another joy of these threads: they encourage further exploration!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... or Kent Nagano?

Whoops, yes, of course!

Comment

Working...
              X