No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Collard/ONF/Maazel
    There’s a ‘grunt’ to the lower wind and strings (which can too often be unclear and murky) in this performance which I’ve long appreciated.

Having preferred the G major concerto for a decade or three, the Left-Hand concerto has overtaken it in recent years and it never fails to enthrall these days. Looking forward to hearing if there are some recent recordings I’ve missed out on…
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

There’s a ‘grunt’ to the lower wind and strings (which can too often be unclear and murky) in this performance which I’ve long appreciated.

Having preferred the G major concerto for a decade or three, the Left-Hand concerto has overtaken it in recent years and it never fails to enthrall these days. Looking forward to hearing if there are some recent recordings I’ve missed out on…
      I love the G major concerto on that disc too. There is absolutely no messing about and we know what Ravel thought of messing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I must listen to the Collard/ONF/Maazel again.
        I followed the score while I listened (on headphones) to the Gavrilov/LSO/Rattle this morning and was somewhat underwhelmed: unclear and murky is a good description of too many of the recordings, I fear, but perhaps understandable once you look at the score and see just how many notes are expected to be played.

In terms of two-handed 'cheating', the piano part is certainly displayed on two staves in places, sometimes simply to help distinguish the chords and sometimes with different time signatures: but this is done where 9/8 is set against 3/4, to help separate the melody (upper, 3/4) from the accompaniment (lower, 9/8).

My admiration for the piece has rocketed! My poor little left hand wouldn't stand a snowball's at attempting some of the reaches that are called for.

Comment

unclear and murky is a good description of too many of the recordings, I fear, but perhaps understandable once you look at the score and see just how many notes are expected to be played.
          The achievement of players, conductor and recording engineers in overcoming this difficulty would be a key factor were I doing this BAL, amid so many excellent pianists who all no doubt play the solo part with aplomb.

I’d expect Roth & his team to deliver in this regard, but I can’t recall if I’ve heard that performance - I need to rectify that

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

I love the G major concerto on that disc too. There is absolutely no messing about and we know what Ravel thought of messing about.

Comment

vade retro satanas!

... clearly Collard/Maazel will have to be added to the order too!

Comment

My admiration for the piece has rocketed! My poor little left hand wouldn't stand a snowball's at attempting some of the reaches that are called for.
              When Hugh Wood wrote his piano concerto for Joanna MacGregor the BBC decided to do a documentary charting the evolution of both the work and their collaboration. One of the most memorable moments came when, seated at the piano with Hugh beside her, she complained that a certain pitch was physically impossible to play as it was too far out of range to be reached in the time required in the score. Hugh Wood then said that playing the pitch in question was essential to the integrity of the structure - it being a 12-tone serial composition. Joanna then said, "Suppose i play that pitch an octave lower than it is at present, where I can reach it, would that be all right?" Wood, after a moment's hesitation, said "All right" - smiles all around!

Comment

Yes, that was sensible. Sadly it hasn't encouraged other pianists to play the work, and Wood's music generally remains shamefully neglected and underrated.

Comment

I must listen to the Collard/ONF/Maazel again.
                  I followed the score while I listened (on headphones) to the Gavrilov/LSO/Rattle this morning and was somewhat underwhelmed: unclear and murky is a good description of too many of the recordings, I fear, but perhaps understandable once you look at the score and see just how many notes are expected to be played.
                  To be fair, I think it's also Ravel's intention, at least some of the time. Double basses playing arpeggios on their open string to accompany a contrabassoon solo is presumably not intended to convey a breath of fresh spring air

Comment

Among the few recordings I have of this work, the most recent is Thiberghien, which has become a firm favourite. It's as much for the instrument(s) used, especially the piano, which has a much fuller but still 'period' sound than the Chevalier/ Immerseel. It's also sonically good.
                    I also retain a real fondness for John Browning's 1961 recording with Leinsdorf and the Philharmonia; he was a pianist I much admired, and don't think there's one recording of his that disappoints.

Comment

If only they’d done the Mallarmé songs in the full chamber version! Missed opportunity there.

Comment

To be fair, I think it's also Ravel's intention, at least some of the time. Double basses playing arpeggios on their open string to accompany a contrabassoon solo is presumably not intended to convey a breath of fresh spring air
                        Very true… but I like to be able to distinguish the double bass and contrabassoon sounds, rather than being presented with a bowl of thick sonic soupe à l’oignon

Comment

I have Zimmerman/ Boulez and am happy with this, although Tiberghien/ Roth intrigues me - I have greatly enjoyed Roth's Daphnis et Chloe.

On a different note, while there are a number of pieces (solo, chamber and contertante) for left hand only, are there any significant works for right hand only?

Comment

I have just had a bit of a Google to see what there is for right hand alone and cannot keep to myself the fact that there exists by Berlioz a ‘Valse chantée par le vent dans la cheminée d’un de mes châteaux en Espagne’.

Written for the album of Princess Marie…Wittgenstein.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Valse_chant%C...lioz%2C_Hector)

Comment

there exists by Berlioz a ‘Valse chantée par le vent dans la cheminée d’un de mes châteaux en Espagne’.
                              ... more details -

Comment

I don’t know if it has been mentioned up thread but there is a YT clip of Ravel conducting Wittgenstein, about 100 seconds long

Comment

Working...
                                X