No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 11.05.24 - Stravinsky: The Firebird

Building a Library

Kate Molleson chooses her favourite recording of Stravinsky's ballet The Firebird.

The Firebird was written for the 1910 Paris season of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes company with a scenario based on the Russian fairy tales of the Firebird and the blessing and curse it possesses for its owner. It was a huge success, launching Stravinsky to international fame. Set in the wicked immortal Koschei's castle, the ballet tells the story of Prince Ivan, who fights Koschei with the help of the magical Firebird.

200 entries in Presto's rather indiscriminate listing here:

This page lists all recordings of The Firebird (L'oiseau de feu) by Igor Feodorovich Stravinsky (1882–1971).

I wonder if only the complete ballet will be considered, and not the suites.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-04-24, 19:36.

[Holding post for further information/comments.]

I see only a Suite recommendation in the BaL spreadsheet: maybe Darloboy can clue us in.

Too many versions on my shelves to bother listing here: all the usual culprits!

The complete 1910 ballet has featured on BBC MM CD Volume 19, Number 9: BBC SSO/Volkov (City Halls, Glasgow: 19 January 2006).

Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-04-24, 19:44.

Comment

There seems to be an awful lot of Stravinsky in BAL these days! This is not a piece I know well, but I have always enjoyed hearing it. I trust that KM will be considering only complete versions, not any of he suites?

Comment

A shout out from me for the LSO/Dorati recording made in 1960 on Mercury Living Presence. For recorded sound alone this knocks more recent efforts out of sight. Spectacular stuff and it is, of course, the complete 1910 ballet.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Actually not so many versions on the shelves as I thought.

In addition to the BBC MM version (BBCSSO/Volkov) I have

OSR/Ansermet
          Chicago SO/Boulez (DG)
          NYPO/Boulez (Sony)
          LSO/Dorati
          OSM/Dutoit
          LPO/Haitink
          Philharmonia/Salonen
          Columbia SO/Stravinsky

I too would give a thumbs up to the Dorati, and also to the earlier Ansermet recording with the New Philharmonia Orchestra, which I'm just streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Actually not so many versions on the shelves as I thought.

In addition to the BBC MM version (BBCSSO/Volkov) I have

OSR/Ansermet
            Chicago SO/Boulez (DG)
            NYPO/Boulez (Sony)
            LSO/Dorati
            OSM/Dutoit
            LPO/Haitink
            Philharmonia/Salonen
            Columbia SO/Stravinsky

I too would give a thumbs up to the Dorati, and also to the earlier Ansermet recording with the New Philharmonia Orchestra, which I'm just streaming.
            I know you worked hard for the Columbia SO/Stravinsky!

I'm resurrecting some vinyl at the moment, incl. Sir Colin Davis/Concertgebouw (three LP Philips box), sounds very fine. I think the cd version was on a Philips twofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

I know you worked hard for the Columbia SO/Stravinsky!

I'gm resurrecting some vinyl at the moment, incl. Sir Colin Davis/Concertgebouw (three LP Philips box), sounds very fine. I think the cd version was on a Philips twofer.
              Yes: the display edition in the big black box. Nice commission to be on at Pastoral Music!

Gave it away to an old school friend when I got the even bigger box set!

Comment

Yes: the display edition in the big black box. Nice commission to be on at Pastoral Music!

Gave it away to an old school friend when I got the even bigger box set!
                Hope it went to good home! I have the 'condensed' version with the cardboard sleeves and the impossible to read index! Priceless Perfs though!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Hope it went to good home! I have the 'condensed' version with the cardboard sleeves and the impossible to read index! Priceless Perfs though!
                  It did. A musical chum, ex-chorister at Liverpool Cathedral!
                  There was a (free/99p?) introduction to the 22CD set that contained a listing, which was what I used.
                  Might even have a spare copy if it would be of use.

Comment

[Holding post for further information/comments.]

I see only a Suite recommendation in the BaL spreadsheet: maybe Darloboy can clue us in.

Too many versions on my shelves to bother listing here: all the usual culprits!

The complete 1910 ballet has featured on BBC MM CD Volume 19, Number 9: BBC SSO/Volkov (City Halls, Glasgow: 19 January 2006).

The complete ballet doesn’t add anything worthwhile, mainly just a few connective bits. I wouldn’t even bother making a distinction in this case between the complete and the Suite.
                    Another work that must have hundreds of recordings. My personal preference is Ozawa/Chicago but I have at least a dozen on my shelf that I enjoy. My biggest disappointment was Haitink/Concertgebouw, a bland outing for one of my favorite artists

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

The complete ballet doesn’t add anything worthwhile, mainly just a few connective bits. I wouldn’t even bother making a distinction in this case between the complete and the Suite.
                      Another work that must have hundreds of recordings. My personal preference is Ozawa/Chicago but I have at least a dozen on my shelf that I enjoy. My biggest disappointment was Haitink/Concertgebouw, a bland outing for one of my favorite artists
                      Except that there are three suites: 1911, 1919, and 1945!

Comment

Those were done to preserve copyright royalties. The differences in the Suites are more interesting than the differences between any of the Suites and the full ballet

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                          Those were done to preserve copyright royalties. The differences in the Suites are more interesting than the differences between any of the Suites and the full ballet
                          Some interesting information about the three suites here:

https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Firebird_...ravinsky,_Igor)

Comment

It did. A musical chum, ex-chorister at Liverpool Cathedral!
                            There was a (free/99p?) introduction to the 22CD set that contained a listing, which was what I used.
                            Might even have a spare copy if it would be of use.
                            Thanks for the offer, but looking at it again it is just about useable, but why do CBS/Sony make a habit of illegibility (the Stravinsky booklet is white/grey on black). The CBS/Sony Bernstein edition is just as bad; although the period/retro mini LP sleeves are attractive.....unless, that is, you actually want to read the text!

Comment

I am very fond of the CBSO/Rattle recording of the complete ballet but I only have it on cassette . The Dutoit is very fine too . I have Barbirolli in the suite too.

Comment

Working...
                              X