X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

(Esfahani, 2009). That's my only harpsichord version (though I see he has now recorded all six on Hyperion) and I can't say that I'm one of his admirers.
    ... nor me neither

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

The purist in me would want to advocate Rousset or Pinnock, but for prolonged listening the harpsichord can be, dare one admit it, a trifle wearing?

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

In my view, Mahan Esfahani can play the harpsichord all right, though there are other players I prefer. What annoys me about him is his rather foolishly and garrulously-expressed opinions on music and music-making. I suppose this is Radio 3's fault in encouraging him to talk instead of sticking to what he does better. I was particularly annoyed by a sleeve-note to a CD where, presumably, he was invited because he plays the instrument. What he wrote was such utter tosh that it's put me off hearing him play since then.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

A recording has just been released using a late 18th century piano. Martin Helmchen. There's another one too on a Silberman piano by Genzoh Takehisa.

In addition to various types of piano recordings, there are some on clavichord - Menno van Delft, for example, and Richard Troeger. Andras Schiff too used a clavichord I think - I haven't heard it.

At least one person used an organ - a big 19th century job I think. I forget his name for the moment.

And Wolfgang Rübsam used a lute harpsichord too - very pleasant and light. There's also John Paul and his lautenwerk.

It may be that some partitas work better on one type of keyboard and others on another, as with WTC.

Joanna McGregor plays modern pianos. There are tons of recordings using that instrument I guess, including an excellent one from Wolfgang Rübsam.

There are also tons of recordings using different types of harpsichords, some delicate and some with big bass registers.
          Last edited by Mandryka; 10-05-24, 11:07.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            . . . for prolonged listening the harpsichord can be, dare one admit it, a trifle wearing?
            A justifiable risk, Sir, and diplomatically taken.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

A justifiable risk, Sir, and diplomatically taken.

... I have no problem with lengthy listening to the harpsickle. And I imagine Bach didn't neither

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

I have complete sets on harpsichord from Leonhardt and Pinnock (his earlier set on a DG Archiv Trio set), plus the first two on (modern) piano from Rudolf Buchbinder. I greatly enjoy Buchbinder's performances of the Viennese classics (can sony please reissue his Schubert D960?) but I am not convinced that Bach is his forte. The performances are too brisk and omit too many repeats for my taste.

Comment

• Darloboy
                  • Jun 2019

Last covered by BaL in December 2000, when Simon Heighes chose Christophe Rousset as first choice; Scott Ross as mid-price choice; Lipatti (No. 1 only) as historic choice; and Angela Hewitt as piano alternative recommendation

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

A new recording, released yesterday, on a 1790 piano!

Bach: Six Partitas. Alpha: ALPHA994. Buy CD or download online. Martin Helmchen (piano)

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
                      Last covered by BaL in December 2000.....….Angela Hewitt as piano alternative recommendation
                      Of course that would be Hewitt's 1997 Hyperion recording. I listened yesterday to her new (2018) one and I think this will do very nicely!

Listen to the release Bach: 6 Partitas, BWV 825-830 (2018 Recording) by Angela Hewitt on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/h5725licpkmib

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Of course that would be Hewitt's 1997 Hyperion recording. I listened yesterday to her new (2018) one and I think this will do very nicely!

Listen to the release Bach: 6 Partitas, BWV 825-830 (2018 Recording) by Angela Hewitt on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/h5725licpkmib
                        Earlier version here, in the 15CD bargain box:

Angela Hewitt plays Bach. Hyperion: CDS44421-35. Buy 15 CDs online. Angela Hewitt (piano)

I'll see if the later version is on Deezer: if so, it will beat listening to you know who this morning!
                        Actually, almost anything would fit that bill!

PS: Yes it is, so lined up for listening.
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 11-05-24, 08:14. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I'll see if the later version is on Deezer:
                          Great now Hyperion is on streaming services! Do you have a subscription with Deezer? What's it like compared with Spotify, for example? I ditched spotify for Qobuz, and never looked back.....the only thing I find with all I've tried is the search facility and track listing are poor for classical music on all of them - what's it like on Deezer?

Edit. PS Do you have an opinion on the Beethoven SQ Op 127 coming up tomorrow on La Tribune? - I've put my twopence-worth on the thread, but no one else so far - perhaps nobody else cares for the Beethoven Lates!
                          Last edited by Roger Webb; 11-05-24, 08:50.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Great now Hyperion is on streaming services! Do you have a subscription with Deezer? What's it like compared with Spotify, for example? I ditched spotify for Qobuz, and never looked back.....the only thing I find with all I've tried is the search facility and track listing are poor for classical music on all of them - what's it like on Deezer?

Edit. PS Do you have an opinion on the Beethoven SQ Op 127 coming up tomorrow on La Tribune? - I've put my twopence-worth on the thread, but no one else so far - perhaps nobody else cares for the Beethoven Lates!
                            We use Deezer (subscription) with our Sonos system.
                            Nothing really to compare it with.
                            Search is a bit hopeless (but there are ways round). Some CDs are 'loaded' crazily: all first movements then all second movements, but apparently (not tried) you can create your own playlist so could order tracks the way you wanted.
                            Only use (free) Spotify to listen to recordings that our choir music director recommends: he sends a compilation for each concert we're working on (apart from new works/premieres, obviously!).

Sadly, I've never got on with the late Beethoven quartets, or the early ones, for that matter.
                            Not my period.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... for a long time, Scott Ross was my 'go to' recording here, and I still think he is magnificent.
                              Agree on Scott Ross. My other hpschd version is Zuzana Růžičková on her excellent Erato Bach Complete Keyboard reissue. Only piano version is Gould ...

Comment

• ostuni
                                • Nov 2010

I've been enjoying Giulia Nuti's recent recording (Arcana, Jan 2024) on a Hemsch copy harpsichord. And so far just listened to the first Partita in Martin Helmchen's recording, on a 1790 tangent piano: intriguing. For modern piano, Jeremy Denk (who, when he was a regular blogger, wrote some fascinating posts on the partitas) is interesting, and sometimes a bit capricious. Never boring (whereas, for my taste, Angela Hewitt often is).

And Beethoven late quartets have played a Big Part in my listening (both live and recorded) for several decades now: I'll post in the appropriate thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X