• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 01.06.2024 - Elgar: Symphony 1

3.00pm
    Mark Lowther joins Andrew to explore Edward Elgar's moving First Symphony, whittling down available recordings to come up with the ultimate recommendation to buy, download or stream​

Presto listing here:

The BBC MM CD issue (Volume 14, Number 12) is of a Proms performance on 28 July 1976: BBCSO under Boult.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

In addition to the BBC MM release, the following versions are on my shelves:

Philharmonia/Barbirolli
    Philharmonia/Haitink
    LPO/Handley
    BBCPO/Hurst
    LPO/Thomson

All have their merits, I feel; it's usually pot luck which one I choose to listen to.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 15-05-24, 21:54. Reason: Thompson changed to Thomson!

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

O Lor' ! What a difficult task to choose just one version of this sublime, immortal work. In the last few years I've been especially pleased to hear so many fine performances on Radio 3 which I don't suppose have been issued on CD, by the BBC Philharmonic conducted (variously) by Vassily Sinaisky, Gary Walker (in Kendal of all places) and Juanjo Mena, and others by Andrew Manze, who has taken the work into his repertoire. It shows that the symphony is still very much alive and not a museum piece.

In addition to the many famous recordings of the work I've found particular pleasure in some less-well-known ones. For instance, Lani Spahr assembled a version from Elgar's 1930 KIngsway Hall sessions inwhich sevenof the eleven sides are unpublished first takes. This produces a more lithe and spontaneous performance, perhaps closer to what Elgar would have done in the concert hall. It's available in a SOMM box, 'Elgar Remastered'. Another inteersing alternatiev perofrmance is onthe LPo's own label, with Vernon Handley conducting a performance interestingly different from his famous studio version.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

My favourite by a long way is LPO/Solti. I bought the LP in 1975 and now have it on CD in the Solti in London box. I took to the work immediately and would rate it as one of the truly great symphonies of the 20th century.

Solti modelled his interpretation on Elgar's own 1930 recording, itself a tremendous recording and one aspect of the piece was apparent to me from the start: how easy it is to spot the transformations of the opening motto theme. One of the most thrilling moments in the Solti is the glorious transformation of the opening of the finale theme, itself yet another version of the motto.

Second favourite is Philharmonia/Barbirolli.

My favourite live performance was the BBC SO/Haitink at the 1982 Proms.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

One of my favourite recordings, which I’m sure won’t get a mention, is of James Judd conducting the Hallé Orchestra on Pickwick. I’ve many recordings of this wonderful work but he is the only conductor who, in the last movement when all the crash, bang wallop has happened, brings the wonderful melody on the second and first violins back at a genuine pianissimo at figure 130. Most conductors, Boult x 3 included, begin at a health mezzo forte but Judd keeps a lid on the dynamics which gives the climax so much more involvement. IMHO, a wonderful recording.

It’s available on Amazon for £1.07. If you love this work then do yourself a favour and purchase it for almost no money. I guarantee you will not regret it.
          Last edited by pastoralguy; 15-05-24, 20:55.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            In addition to the BBC MM release, the following versions are on my shelves:

Philharmonia/Barbirolli
            Philharmonia/Haitink
            LPO/Handley
            BBCPO/Hurst
            LPO/Thomson

All have their merits, I feel; it's usually pot luck which one I choose to listen to.
            I have: the Boult BBC MM recording, plus:

Philharmonia/Barbarolli
            LPO/Thomson
            LPO/Handley
            LSO/Elgar

and also

BBCSO/Brabbins (an off-air TV recording from the 2012 Proms)

Whichever one I choose is guaranteed to satisfy!.
            Last edited by Pulcinella; 15-05-24, 21:55. Reason: Surname spelling in quoted text.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I have: the Boult BBC MM recording, plus:

Philharmonia/Barbarolli
              LPO/Thomson
              LPO/Handley
              LSO/Elgar

and also

BBCSO/Brabbins (an off-air TV recording from the 2012 Proms)

Whichever one I choose is guaranteed to satisfy!.
              I think my absolute favourite is Previn’s recording with the RPO. Those horns!

Comment

• oliver sudden
                • Feb 2024

The recording I have listened to the most is undoubtedly the shamelessly high-octane Staatskapelle Dresden/C Davis. The Dresden palette is an excellent fit for Elgar’s orchestration, with its definite Straussian aspects, and the interpretation is nothing if not gripping. At the same time I’m not sure if I would pick it as a single version in the BaL sense…

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

It looks like the BBC MM Boult Proms performance is also available commercially on this release:

Sir Adrian Boult conducts Brahms & Elgar. ica classics: ICAC5063. Buy CD or download online. BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sir Adrian Boult

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    It looks like the BBC MM Boult Proms performance is also available commercially on this release:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...s-brahms-elgar
                    Ought to win ! It’s a stupendous performance . Barbirolli ‘s live King’s Lynn performance very shortly before his death is also exceptional . I would not be without Boult and Barbirolli in the studio , the composer’s recording , Elder’s first recording , Solti , Barenboim or Menuhin.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

I’ve not long finished listening to the new Elder Hallé recording of the First Symphony. Ever so slightly underwhelmed…

Comment

• Pianoman
                        • Jan 2013

This is one to really blow the cobwebs off....

It comes in at 48 minutes, faster than Solti. Have to say I find it convincing and these days can't really abide the stodgy, rather indulgent approach of some conductors to this music (Mark Elder, i'm looking at your latest effort....)

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

I have two recordings each from Boult, Barbirolli, C Davis, A Davis, plus others by Previn, Solti, Haitink, Thomson, Oramo, Tate, Mackerras, Elder, Gardner and Barenboim - but my favourite by far is Philharmonia/Sinopoli.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I have tried many times to get to appreciate the Elgar symphonies. I just listened to Gardner in the Second two days ago. After many years, I quit

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              I have tried many times to get to appreciate the Elgar symphonies. I just listened to Gardner in the Second two days ago. After many years, I quit
                              I had the same problem with Bruckner and quit - which gave me much more free time than I would have gained had I fallen out of love with Elgar's wonderful symphonies.

Comment

Working...
                              X