Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 14.05.11 - Mozart: Piano Concerto no. 17

Robert Philip recommends a recording of Mozart's Piano Concerto no 17 in G K.453.

Available versions:

Brendel, Vienna Volksoper Orchestra, Angerer
    Andsnes, Norwegian Chamber Orchestra
    Katsaris, Salzburg Chamber Orchestra, Yoon Kuk Lee
    Anderszewski, Scottish Chamber Orchestra
    Uchida, English Chamber Orchestra, Tate
    Anda, Camerata Academica des Salzburger Mozarteums
    Anda, Cologne Radio Orchestra, Keilberth
    Anda, English Chamber Orchestra
    Askenase, Schuricht
    O'Conor, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Mackerras
    Zacharias, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne
    Voskresensky, Moscow Chamber Orchestra, Nikolaev
    Andsnes, Cleveland Orchestra, Welser-Most
    Richter, Moscow Chamber Orchestra, Barshai
    Balsam, The Haydn Orchestra, Newstone
    Ashkenazy, Orchestra di Padova e del Veneto
    Schornsheim, New Bach Collegium Musicum Leipzig, Glaetzner
    Casadesus, RAI Milan Symphony Orchestra, Previtali
    Pires, VPO, Abbado
    Bashkirov, Moscow Chamber Orchestra, Dubrovski
    Schmidt, Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra, Masur
    Shelley, London Mozart Players
    Immerseel, Anima Eterna
    Jarrett, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Davies
    Jando, Concentus Hungaricus, Ligeti
    Badura-Skoda, Prague Chamber Orchestra
    Brendel, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Mackerras
    Fischer, Edwin Fischer Chamber Orchestra
    Pires....
    Staier...
    Casadesus, Cleveland Orchestra, Szell
    Schnabel...
    Haebler...
    Barenboim, English Chamber Orchestra
    Egorov, Philharmonia Orchestra, Sawallisch
    Schiff, Camarata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg, Vegh
    Bilson, English Baroque Soloists, Gardiner
    Buchbinder, Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Fedossejew
    Engel, Mozart-Orchestre Salzburg, Hager
    Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra
    Sofronitsky, Musica Antiqua Collegium Varoviense, Karolak
    Brendel, ASMF, Marriner
    Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra

Of course, the cynic in me leads me to believe that all pre-2000 performances along with all those without the benefit of modern instruments will be mercilessly discarded in favour of something academic...
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 10:13.

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Of course, the cynic in me leads me to believe that all pre-2000 performances along with all those without the benefit of modern instruments will be mercilessly discarded in favour of something academic...
    I'm fairly sure that Robert Philip isn't that kind of reviewer, EA, or at least I hope not.

I have a soft spot for Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia in this, one of my favourite Mozart PC's.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

There's also the later Barenboim version with the BPO. I like the Ashkenazy/Philharmonia version too, and it's a pity that Andor Foldes' recording with the BPO is not available. What about Richard Goode & Orpheus CO - didn't they record this?

Comment

Nothing is likely to disturb my allegiance to Perahia - K453 is one of his very finest recordings. It was through Brendel's Vox recording that I got to know the work. The trouble with that is that he and his conductor do not maintain a consistent pulse throughout the variation finale.

Comment

I have Barenboim with the ECO, a precious LP of the above mentioned Andor Foldes with the Berlin P.O, and Hans Richter-Haaser with the Philharmonia and Kertesz. Also several taped performances.

When I hear it I always think it my favourite Mozart P.C. However I feel like that about others sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            I'm fairly sure that Robert Philip isn't that kind of reviewer, EA, or at least I hope not.

I have a soft spot for Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia in this, one of my favourite Mozart PC's.
            Robert Philip is definitely 'old-school' Petrushka, has a lovely broadcasting style for BAL and is as sharp as a tack. I'm looking forward to this one!

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              When I hear it I always think it my favourite Mozart P.C. However I feel like that about others sometimes.

You said it, Saly!

That's Mozart Piano Concertos for you

I seem to remember liking Mr Philp's style (the Dickensian name I like, too!) so I'm also looking forward to this
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

... harrumph ...

ignoring Alpensinfonie's predictable sneering reference - 'those without the benefit of modern instruments' - benefits! - psha! -
                I have to say I am currently enjoying enormously the marvellous set of the complete fortepiano concertos with Viviana Sofronitsky (daughter of the other one) with Musica Antiqua Collegium Varsoviense and Tadeusz Karolak on et'cetera - up there with Levin, Staier, van Immerseel, and Bilson...

Comment

A few versions I don't see here:
                  Pollini/VPO (directed from the keyboard)
                  Levin/NY Philomusica (modern piano)
                  Levin/AAM/Hogwood (period instruments, available from Arkiv.com)
                  Bernstein/VPO (directed from the keyboard, and one of LB's best Mozart performances - available on DVD)
                  Aimard/COE (directed from the keyboard - available as a download)
                  Dohnanyi/Budapest PO (directed from the keyboard - available from Pristine Audio)
                  Horszowski/Musica Aeterna/Waldman (was on Pearl - probably still available used)
                  Henkemans/VSO/Pritchard (available on Bearac BRC 2864)
                  Rubinstein/RCA Victor SO/Wallenstein (available of Sony/BMG)
                  Serkin's three recordings (with Szell, Schneider and Abbado) - surely at least one of them is still available, at least as a download?
                  Zacharias's earlier recording (EMI, with Marriner) is available from EMI France in a ludicrously cheap box of his EMI series.

There are more, but these ones are all worth putting into the mix. Levin's live NY Philomusica performance is one of my all-time favourites, as is Bernstein's live Vienna film, and Levin's AAM/Hogwood disc, mercifully rescued from oblivion by Arkiv.

Schiff's box set of the concertos with Vegh is, I think, still around on Decca too?

Comment

Makropulos -
                    yes, I treasure Levin/AAM.
                    And also the Zacharias/Stuttgart/Marriner on EMI.
                    And also Perahia..
                    And Habler...
                    And Anda....

Comment

I agree that this is one of the highlights of Perahia's cycle and is much my favourite.

Comment

Hello Vinteuil - I must confess I didn't know about this Polish HIPP cycle, when did it come out? I already have the Bilson cycle and the incomplete one from Levin, but never got round to acquiring Immerseel. I also have the handful that Staier did and like them very much.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Hello Vinteuil - I must confess I didn't know about this Polish HIPP cycle, when did it come out? I already have the Bilson cycle and the incomplete one from Levin, but never got round to acquiring Immerseel. I also have the handful that Staier did and like them very much.
                          Micky - it's recent - very good - and I picked it up cheapish from Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            Micky - it's recent - very good - and I picked it up cheapish from Amazon!
                            ... actually Amazon.fr - 43 euros for 11 CDs...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ignoring Alpensinfonie's predictable sneering reference - 'those without the benefit of modern instruments' - benefits! - psha! -
                              I wasn't really sneering, Vinteuil; it was more an attempt to shift the balance a little. Some reviewers are very dismissive of performances on modern instruments, and I think this attitude is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X