Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 21.05.11 - Schubert: Piano Trio in B flat, D.898

Stephen Johnson with a personal recommendation from the available recordings of Schubert's Piano Trio in B flat, D.898

Available versions:

Max Brod Trio
    Jean-Claude Pennetier (piano), Régis Pasquier (violin) & Roland Pidoux (cello)
    Storioni Trio Amsterdam
    Renaud Capuçon, Gautier Capuçon & Frank Braley
    Jean-Philippe Collard, Augustin Dumay & Frédéric Lodeon
    Borodin Trio
    Beaux Arts Trio
    Beaux Arts Trio
    The Florestan Trio
    Wiener Schubert Trio
    Marc Coppey (cello), Ilya Gringolts (violin) & Peter Laul (piano)
    The Schubert Ensemble
    Klaviertrio Amsterdam
    Odeon Trio
    Haydn-Trio Wien
    The David Trio
    Suk Trio
    Fujita Piano Trio
    Trio Wanderer
    The Gryphon Trio
    Guarneri Trio Prague
    Israel Piano Trio
    Pinchas Zukerman (violin), Lynn Harrell (cello) & Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano)
    Trio Italiano
    Lars Vogt (piano), Antje Weithaas (violin), Tanja Tetzlaff (cello)
    Vienna Piano Trio
    Artur Schnabel (piano) Joseph Szigeti (violin), Pierre Fournier (cello)
    Pablo Casals, Alfred Cortot, Jacques Thibaud
    Stuttgart Piano Trio
    Emanuel Feuermann (cello), Jascha Heifetz (violin), Arthur Rubinstain (piano)
    Abegg Trio
    Stefano Barneschi (Violin), Federica Valli (Fortepiano), Paolo Beschi (Cello)
    Yefim Bronfmann (piano), Renaud Capuçon (violin) & Gautier Capuçon (cello)
    Arion Trio
    Gerhard Taschner (violin), Ludwig Hoelscher, Walter Gieseking & Hubert Giesen
    András Schiff (piano), Yuuko Shiokawa (violin) & Miklós Perényi (cello)
    David Oistrakh (violin), Sviatoslav Knushevitsky (cello) & Lev Oborin (piano)
    Yehudi Menuhin, Maurice Gendron, Hephzibah Menuhin
    Stern, Istomin, Rose
    Fournier, Janigro, Badura-Skoda
    Rubinstein, Szeryng, Fournier
    Trio di Trieste
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 10:11. Reason: Additional recording

How could you miss out Stern/Istomin/Rose?

Comment

Because it's not effectively available, Don?

Comment

I've always found Amazon quite effective?

Comment

And - Fournier/Janigro/Badura-Skoda (Available from Pristine).

Also - Rubinstein/Szeryng/Fournier (Amazon).

[Not playing a game against Alpen here, just that I keep thinking of recordings that I value, or of interest.]
          Last edited by Guest; 08-05-11, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

[Not playing a game against Alpen here, just that I keep thinking of recordings that I value, or of interest.]
            Not taken in that way at all, DP. I'll add these versions to the list.

Comment

Another one I rate highly would be that by the Trio di Trieste, on DG, though currently only available from some Amazon vendors, it would seem, rather than Amazon itself, so maybe not in play?

Although - Are downloads included these days? I now see that the Trio di Trieste DG 5CD box set, which of course includes D898, can be downloaded from Amazon for less than £23.

Of course, you can just download the four tracks of D898, if my maths is correct, for £4.46.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-05-11, 10:17.

Comment

I appear to have Oistrakh/Knushevitsky/Oborin, Heifetz/Feuermann/Rubinstein and (my first) a very ancient Saga LP by Galimir/Varga/Nadas. I'll re-listen to them.

Comment

I have Schneider, Casals, Istomin on a very precious LP, the record and the giver were special to me.

Comment

There's an extremely good period instrument version on Sony with Jos van Immerseel, Vera Beths and Anner Bylsma.
                    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

My introduction to this work as a student in the 70s was Stern, Rose, Istomin - nice to see that DP apparently holds it still in high regard. Then Busch, Busch, Serkin on LP, then Beaux Arts (r.1960s) and Cortot, Thibaud, Casals on CD.

I haven't got a digital version!!!!
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                        There's an extremely good period instrument version on Sony with Jos van Immerseel, Vera Beths and Anner Bylsma.
                        I agree - other good HIP versions:

Mozartean players (Steven Lubin/Stanley Ritchie/Myron Lutzke)

and my favourite:-
                        la Gaia Scienza (Federica Valli/Stefano Barneschi/Paolo Beschi)

Comment

Zukermann/Harrell/Ashkenazy is rather fine, if you're happy with a very slightly aggressive sound.

Comment

A DVD of both Schubert Trios, performed by the Beaux Arts, was issued in January this year on ICAClassics:

This recordings took place in the Signet Library, Edinburgh on 21st Nov and 13th Dec 1978.

The fiming of these performance was, I believe, one of the last activities of the Beaux Arts Trio as the cellist, Bernard Greenhouse retired shorly afterwards.

I was sorry to hear that Bernard recently died (aged 95) - on May 13.

Bernard Greenhouse, who died on May 13 aged 95, was the founding cellist of the Beaux Arts Trio, a celebrated ensemble that became a mainstay of chamber music venues and summer festivals for more than 50 years.

Comment

well i was so looking forward to this and did greatly appreciate the extracts but the coverage of the field was so thin i was left feeling very let down ...
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X