X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I too was slightly underwhelmed hearing it on R3 this morning. For me there was a tad too much rubato in the slow movement, and a feeling of the ensemble only just hanging together at the breakneck speed of the last. Also balance between violin and oboe seemed very skewed in favour of the oboe. I'll stick with Holliger/Kremer.

On a wider issue, was this a slightly unusual choice of work to review in BAL?

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Rachel Podger not winning this? Must've ben a slip up by the reviewer(I've not heard the programme yet but seems rather surprising)
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Catching up having heard this BAL this morning.

Poor old Barenboim, chosen as the punch-bag! Mind you he deserved it - sounded bloody awful!

I heard nothing in the survey to displace my affection for the Café Zimmermann version. The only other one to get my attention was the John Butt/Dunedin recording, which sounded great I thought.

Glad to hear AMcG carefully specifying in advance who was playing the very first extract - perhaps they've learnt the lesson from recent complaints (inc from me) about the first illustration remaining anonymous

What struck me from the quick-fire succession of short extracts in this BAL was how important I found the recording acoustic. A number of otherwise good versions - including the 'winner' - suffered I thought from the 'soup tureen' effect, reverberant yet constrained, the sort of murky sound I dislike.

PS Intern season at R3 - pretty glaring cock-up on the old 'extract from the double violin concerto' front

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Confusing our Rs with our Oboes?
        That too!

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Well taken ferney, those don't come up very often
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
        X