Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 4.06.11 - Beethoven: String Quartet in E flat, Op. 74 "Harp"

Harriet Smith with a personal recommendation from the available recordings of Beethoven's Quartet in E flat, op.74, often known as 'The Harp'

Available versions:

Alban Berg Quartet
    Alexander Quartet
    Amadeus Quartet
    Atrium Quartet
    Auryn Quartet
    Bartok Quartet
    Borodin Quartet
    Brodsky Quartet
    Budapest String Quartet
    Capet String Quartet
    Cleveland Quartet
    Emerson String Quartet
    Endellion String Quartet
    Engengard Quartet
    Gabrioli String Quartet (nla)
    Georgian State String Quartet (download)
    Guarneri Quartet
    Hungarian Quartet
    Kodaly Quartet
    Janacek Quartet (nla)
    Leipziger Streichquartett
    Lindsays
    Medici String Quartet
    Oistrakh, Bondarenko, Terian, Knushevitsky
    Orford String Quartet
    Oxford String Quartet
    Prazak Quartet
    Quartetto Italiano
    Quatour Sine Nomine
    Suske Quartet
    Takacs Quartet
    Talich Quartet
    Tokyo String Quartet
    Vegh Quartet
    Vermeer Quartet
    Vlach Quartet
    Wihan Quartet
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 10:10. Reason: additional versions

Just to get the ball rolling, I've a very high opinion of the Quartetto Italiano version, which I have on LP.

Comment

I wonder what 'filters' Harriet Smith will use before starting. Can she possibly review all those available versions?

Comment

A few more to add to Eine Alpensinfonie's long list. Some of these are still available, and some of them should be:
        Artemis
        Ciompi
        Delme
        Eroica
        Hungarian
        New Hungarian
        Orion
        Vlach
        Weller

Comment

Vegh should surely be in there but may only be in a complete set.

Comment

I've added a few of those versions suggested (one of which was already there in the list ), but others don't seem to be available in the UK.

Comment

It took me a while to get into this so-called Harp quartet. Longer than for others.

Partly, I think the problem was that it's not as "profound" as the Rasoumovskys which precede it, nor the late quartets that follow. And then there was the first recording I had of it - by the Hungarians from 1966. They play it in a rather genteel fashion, and that, coupled with a somewhat dim recording, rather put me off.

What a relief to come again to the life and energy that the Amadeus brings to it.

I've yet to re-listen to the Bartoks and the early Lindsays, the other two that I have. May report back!

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                It took me a while to get into this so-called Harp quartet. Longer than for others.
                You've got my attention. I'm just going to listen to my only CD version (Guarneri Quartet).

Comment

Partly, I think the problem was that it's not as "profound" as the Rasoumovskys which precede it, nor the late quartets that follow.
                  Just curious as to why you draw that conclusion, verismissimo. I find most of Beethoven's mature works profound in conception and nature, and whilst the late quartets do indeed reveal their secrets more obliquely, Op 74 is still a mighty impressive quartet with its light and sunny moments. Indeed, for me it's probably the most lovable of the set.

I have versions by the Endellion and Tokyo quartets. The latter are subtler (especially their "harp" effects) and have a more beautiful tone e.g. in the adagio and a gorgeous Harmonia Mundi recording, but the Endellion are wonderfully dramatic in the manic Presto third movement and slightly preferable there.

Comment

Partly, I think the problem was that it's not as "profound" as the Rasoumovskys which precede it, nor the late quartets that follow.
                    Having returned to the work, in anticipation of BaL, I too found this statement a little puzzling, but I suppose "profundity" is very personal thing, even in Beethoven.

Comment

So the Alban Berg Quartet's version came out on top. Quite a convincing review.

Comment

Did no-one else listen?

Comment

I didn't turn on until near the middle, and her rather flat delivery didn't entice me to stay.

Comment

String quartets don't seem to engender as much forum discussion as some other ensembles/genres. Anyway, whatever the sound of her voice, I thought she spoke a lot of sense - certainly I agree with her impressions of both the superslick Emersons and the dreadful Amadeus. And I already have 3 of her favourite recordings (ABQ, Takacs, Lindsays), so it's not an expensive BaL for me...

I still think the Vegh quartet (not currently available?) bring something special to all their Beethoven. Sandor Vegh's intonation is sometimes a bit wayward (as with Peter Cropper, the Lindsays' leader), but nobody could make their pianissimi sound as special as the Veghs. Harriet S mentioned the lack of HIP versions: I have 2, presumably nla: the British Eroica Quartet, and the Italian/French/Dutch Quatuor Turner.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Did no-one else listen?
                              Yes, I did EA.

I was sorry to hear what I thought was an unkind dismissal of the dear old Amadeus Quartet, and a quite snooty shot at the excellent Emersons. But there you go - ostuni was quite pleased at those remarks.

I must confess that it is some time since I listened to Op 74, but the presenter's remarks got me to play the version by the Takacs, which is on now. The only other version I had was a radio shot of the Chilingirian Quartet which I made years ago, and since the advent of CDs my tapes have had little play.

Much as I admire the ABQ, and the Beethoven Quartets, I'll pass on this one. I had hoped that the Leipzig Quartet would make a 'better' showing, but then there are so many great quartets to choose from, and since the Takacs got an honourable mention I'm happy with my lot.

Sorry, writing this has made me lose sight of the Harp. Back to the Adagio.

Comment

Working...
                              X