• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    For the record (and since you mention him en passant), I don't think that Sullivan's symphony would similarly qualify...
    - no, indeed; but on the rare occasions I chose to listen to it, it always gives me enormous pleasure.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
      Though, on balance, I prefer the 1873 version of Bruckner 3 I can see (or hear!) the attractions of the other two and I'd travel miles through a storm to hear any of them in concert.
      magic sentiment

In reverse, when we all exited the RFH a few years back following Yannick’s mesmerising Christus Factus Est/Symphony #9/Te Deum, the heavens opened and London was blanketed in snow within an hour! Trains, buses, cars all immediately shut down and we had to walk home. Does that count?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        magic sentiment

In reverse, when we all exited the RFH a few years back following Yannick’s mesmerising Christus Factus Est/Symphony #9/Te Deum, the heavens opened and London was blanketed in snow within an hour! Trains, buses, cars all immediately shut down and had to walk home.Does that count?
        Yes!

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - no, indeed; but on the rare occasions I chose to listen to it, it always gives me enormous pleasure.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            But at least, thanks to you, I know that
            1889 Version (aka 1888/89)!

1888/89 is how it's listed on my recording (EMI Jochum, Dresden Staatskapelle), and I was very hesitant to ask what that designation meant!
            This is a lengthy thread, did you not see these earlier links (vide #6)...?

Marques:
            "1888/89 version is a revision made with the help of Franz Schalk during the years 1888-89. The work was further shortened, and the Coda of the Scherzo dropped again. Changes in the orchestration modified the whole climate of the work, bringing it closer to the sound world of the last symphonies. This version was published with some modifications by Rättig in 1890 (Second Edition). First performed on December 21, 1890 by the VPO under Hans Richter. The critical edition of this version is Nowak's (1959). Before the recent prominence of the 1877 version, it was the most played version."

Griegel:
            "The final revisions of the Third were made in 1889 for the purpose of a second edition of the symphony published in 1890. Nowak's edition of the 1889 version is based on the Stichvorlage for the 1890 edition, while the latter includes additional revisions presumably made in the proofs. It is possible that some of the latter alterations are authentic. In particular, there are two passages in the 1890 edition that differ from the Stichvorlage but follow exactly the 1878 version. Bruckner might well have cancelled the revised forms of these passages in the proofs. The 1890 edition was reprinted in 1961, edited by Redlich.

The most significant alterations in the 1889 version are in the finale; Bruckner based his revision of the movement on a version by Franz Schalk. Both passages marked with vi-de in the Stichvorlage of the 1878 version were cut in the 1889 version. The material following the second of these cuts was also completely rewritten by Bruckner, who did not accept Schalk's suggested text for the passage."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I can't help recalling W S Gilbert's comment upon hearing of the death of Arthur Sullivan; "With him, I never had to do that fatal thing: explain a joke" (but then Gilbert's jokes weren't as "trying-to-be-clever" as was mine).

I meant (as both scotty and BeefO noticed, I'm relieved to see ) that Bruckner's Third Symphony is itself (or "is themselves") three of the best Symphonies of the 19thC.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Alison & Petrushka

I have now purchased FLAC downloads of Haitink’s VPO Bruckner 3 & 8 and Sinopoli’s Staatskapelle Dresden Bruckner 3. I have put a wrong right!

It’s going to be a long night!!

(I’ll post my thoughts on my first listen of S&H’s #3 as soon as I can)

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Alison & Petrushka

I have now purchased FLAC downloads of Haitink’s VPO Bruckner 3 & 8 and Sinopoli’s Staatskapelle Dresden Bruckner 3. I have put a wrong right!

Be interested in your thoughts on both of these. The Haitink is very well known to me and has been my default Bruckner 3 since buying the CD on first issue. I've got Sinopoli's B5 and B8 and have been toying with the idea of getting the others he recorded via Presto CDs.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

159 posts, 2 day before the BaL broadcast. My word, you have all been having fun on a thread I've mostly ignored during my week of house/cat sitting in West Yorkshire, with only an iPhone to keep in touch with the forum.

As I've said before, I'm not a great Bruckner fan, but these BaL broadcasts can help to overcome deficiencies like mine, so I'm looking forward to 9.30 a.m. on Saturday. In the meantime, I'm going to spend this evening listening to the VPO/Böhm recording.

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

PJM has joined the list. Fair play Alpie

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Alison & Petrushka

Well done, Beef. I remember Richard Osborne writing how the Haitink sounded better on each hearing.
                        I don't think the Eighth (performance) is on the same exalted level.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Might get those two, myself.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            This is a lengthy thread, did you not see these earlier links (vide #6)...?

No, I didn't!

Also not a Bruckner fan, but I did get out my recording to listen through before the BaL.
                            And I have heard Haitink live in Boston, conducting number 7, I think (sadly, that 'I think' rather says it all: might have been number 8!), as I was staying with a friend who kindly got tickets for us. But I may well have tried to go anyway, just to visit Symphony Hall and hear the orchestra there rather than at Tanglewood, where I had heard them several times.

PS: Dear diary tells me it was Bruckner 8, on Tuesday 27 October 1998!
                            Last edited by Pulcinella; 30-12-16, 11:30. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

Okay, I'll finally buck up some unusual courage and now 'come out' as a complete and utter Bruckner nutjob ...

Even so I'd be greatly daunted by having to plough my way through the huge number of Bruckner 3 recordings listed here, and then expect to come to a decision as to which I considered the finest.

Great music can be interpreted in so many ways and still sound great.

Still, I do look forward to hearing Mr Service's personal opinion on the matter.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Playing Haitink's now.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X