X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    All the great conductors seem to have blind spots so I would not want to hold the Bruckner thing against Mr Previn.
    Nor me.

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Must say I am a bit surprised by Hinters apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of the Marthe 'reload'!!
    I would by no means claim it to be encyclopædic although I have read what he's written about his work with the 3rd and 9th and listened to the results of both; my knowledge extends to but not beyond those experiences.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Normal Service was indeed Resumed, it seemed - with a little spare time today I decided to give him a chance, and indeed the intolerable guff of his conversations/interviews/trailers that's got him blackballed from Caliban Towers of late, appears to have fallen away with this scripted, scholarly exercise. The Service that one enjoyed some years back resurfaced. I haven't heard all the programme yet, but the exposition of the versions was very clear, and it was attractive to hear him argue one should forget all that and concentrate on the musical values of performances. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow.

Yes, that’s the essence of it. Enjoy!

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

After all, it's all about the music itself.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Tintner 3 and 6 in charity shop today for a quid each . Interested to see if finale of 3 such a massive fail as TS suggests .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Tintner 3 and 6 in charity shop today for a quid each . Interested to see if finale of 3 such a massive fail as TS suggests .
            Not a "massive fail" for me, Barbs - it served me very well for nearly twenty years - but, in comparison with the Blomstedt (or even the Inbal) it certainly doesn't meet the top grade. (And if you thought the Blomstedt performance demonstrated how long the 1873 version is - - - )
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

p. g. tipps

You got the veritable bargain!

That's simply TS momentarily reverting to the hyperbolic guff (if somewhat less breathessly).

Tintner was not my favourite Brucknerian but he didn't half do the composer's reputation a huge favour with that cheap (if hardly 'cheerful') symphonic cycle of the first versions.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Hiya Barbirollians,

Maybe the ones I chucked out! I can't take to Tintner for some reason.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                  • Jun 2014

This one could well become my favourite Brucknerian ... even John Berky seems impressed.

Bruckner: Sinfonie No. 5, Sofia Philharmonic, Dirigent : Ljubka Biagioni

Move over, Skrow!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                    This one could well become my favourite Brucknerian ... even John Berky seems impressed.

Move over, Skrow!
                    Thanks for posting this Scotty. I don’t have time this morning, but hopefully I’ll be able to listen to this later today. The music-making in places like Bulgaria and Hungary have been largely overlooked for years, IMHO. The first time I realised that there was a healthy music scene in eastern Europe was back in the late 80s/early 90s when I started buying Naxos, Hungaraton et al, budget CDs.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post

Move over, Skrow!
                      Not a single CD to be had with her conducting, and that appears to be the only complete symphonic performance from her on Youtube, though there is an extract from a Bruckner 8, and also a complete Walton Viola Concerto. Perhaps this situation will change soon.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        this excellent BaL (more essay than survey, and very aptly too)
                        Thank you for this comment jayne which prompted me to overcome reservations and listen to this BaL, finished this morning. Discovering the original version of the 3rd has been the main result for me - I realise that all the versions I've known and loved till now happened to be the 'final' version more or less.

I was sorry the LPO/Stan Skrow version got short shrift. I hadn't noticed unsettling tempo variations in this great performance, but the short extract selected did sound second-best to the extract with which it was juxtaposed (Tennstedt? can't remember). Anyhow, I liked the emphasis given to impetus in Bruckner, plenty of pulse as opposed to something marmoreal. And the Blomstedt does sound pretty terrific - good job the whole thing was played on Sunday morning - just listening again.

Pretty wilful of Mr Service to choose an unavailable version. Bet there must be a few BaL reviewers out there who were gnashing their teeth, having kept to the 'rules' and in their reviews ruled out unavailable although preferred versions. Presumably TS, who seems to have licence to do what he likes when he likes on R3, was able to shrug off any attempt to keep him in line.

That said, in this day and age where most things can be downloaded somehow, even if not actually on a shop shelf somewhere in CD form, it's probably preferable for me to hear a 'straight' recommendation irrespective of 'current availability' rules.

PS: The extract from the Schuricht version really held my attention!
                        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 06-01-17, 14:57.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I was so blown away by the Blomstedt version on Sunday morning (have yet to catch up with the actual BAL, having been busy showing Antipodean relations a good time) that I ordered the complete set - (something I should have done long ago), currently N/A, but I can now forget about it and get a nice surprise whenever Amazon tell me it's back in stock.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I really enjoyed the Tintner 3 not sure about the failed synthesis in the finale the orchestra did sound a bit tired though . I loved the sparer less plush SNO strings and it seemed to me to unfold naturally without being pushed .

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

This is the disc through which I've got to know the original version...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Having heard two of his performances with this orchestra at the Proms, this (released today) is tempting... (inc. the 1877 version of No. 3...)

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X