Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    There are still copies available on Amazon, from Germany and Japan - at higher prices.
    amazon.ca too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I can't understand why he chose the Blomstedt, despite his reasoning!!! ... But he did give a good lucid argument for his case.
      "A good lucid argument" that you "can't understand", Bbm?

It was very obvious (unless TS was going to do an Agatha Christie, and recommend a completely unexpected recording, like the Ballot) who was going to "win" - every time Blomstedt was mentioned, the tone of his voice lifted into reverential awe. From the excerpts (I shall be delighted to listen to the whole work tomorrow morning) it sounded to me that, whilst there were particularly impressive points of detail, there were also crucial features that were lost: the very opening demonstrated this - the ostinato accompaniment was superb (a real sense not just of "mystery" - most performances get that - but of menace, which really grabbed and held my attention) but the solo trumpet theme was barely audible. At current prices, I shan't be investing.

But I'm certainly going to buy the LPO/Skrowaczewski (blimey! I spelt that correctly before looking it up!) with its awareness of the rubato conventions of the late 19th Century that Bruckner might well have taken for granted (and so not written into the score[s])but of which TS seemed unaware; a most uncharacteristic lapse of scholarship from him. But on the whole I enjoyed listening to the review; agreeing with him when he got things right, and disagreeing when he didn't.

By the way - does anyone else find themselves listening to BaLs these days with a "subtext" running through their minds on the lines of "Ooh! Cali ain't gonna like that!" or "Barbi's going to need an extra Remipril now"?
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 31-12-16, 13:28.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        amazon.ca too.
        Looks as if Jonathan Swain will be playing the whole thing at 9 am tomorrow, should anyone be inclined towards a cheap cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
          It's sloppy. Surely the purpose of BaL is to choose a recording which is currently available? And no, reviewers aren't allowed to consider a recording as "available" if it's on sale from an Amazon marketplace seller.
          I agree the fact there are a few copies on the internet does not make for a library choice unless the Radio 3 audience is now considered so small that will do .

I know they changed the rules so nla records could be considered but I always understood that was so the reviewer could say I would have chosen X but it is nla .

I was less impressed than others with this BAL . Not only the Tintner dismissal - a recording that has been very well reviewed in the past but also the failure to deal with older recordings very common on BAL now .

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            The Blomstedt is stated to be an SACD and 'requires SACD compatible hardware' which (correct me if I am wrong) means it won't play on a non SACD player.
            They are hybrid SACD Hafod so will play. I bit the bullet for the Blomstedt box last week. Bloody expensive and I'm still not sure if I should have.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Phew! Hafod worried me even though amazon.de had said it was compatible.
              I have it and it is definitely a hybrid SACD. ;-D
              "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                I have it and it is definitely a hybrid SACD. ;-D
                I am currently ripping the CD layer as an emergency back-up. EAC is having no problems with this task.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                  It's sloppy. Surely the purpose of BaL is to choose a recording which is currently available? And no, reviewers aren't allowed to consider a recording as "available" if it's on sale from an Amazon marketplace seller.
                  Not sure I agree. Recordings so frequently come and go out of the catalogue that it doesn't make sense to exclude something which may only be temporarily unavailable. Moreover, any record company worth its salt, will reinstate a recording which has the BAL imprimatur.

Comment

What did the more knowledgeable Brucknerians here make of TS's concluding thesis that AB's (and later editors') continuing attempts to make this work, particularly the finale, coherent were doomed because the very essence of it is the incoherence/ incompatability of the thematic material? So better accept and embrace this than attempt a self-defeating synthesis.

[Probably I summarize too crudely... ]
                    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 31-12-16, 15:36. Reason: fhg's rewrite of my original word 'expert' in #220 ;-)
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      What did fellow Forumistas make of TS's concluding thesis that AB's (and later editors') continuing attempts to make this work, particularly the finale, coherent were doomed because the very essence of it is the incoherence/ incompatability of the thematic material? So better accept and embrace this than attempt a self-defeating synthesis.

[Probably I summarize too crudely... ]
                      An ... interesting one - certainly with much to attract me to it. As a point of conversation, I think it leads to some fascinating re-thinking(s) of the work (all of them). BUT, as a basis for choosing a BaL recommendation, it led to a rather blinkered overview that didn't allow due recognition for those performances which manage to forge the contradictory elements into an integrated compound. This might have helped TS to sieve out many of the numerous available recordings (given the meagre 45mins allotted to him), but resulted in too narrow an overview of the miraculous multi-faceted work(s).

With an apology for altering your text, LMP - we've had enough of experts, after all
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Arkiv lists the Blomstedt for $17 as available on 'back order '. I've ordered many discs from them that were in that status and usually they arrive within 2 weeks

Comment

I don't recall reading any reviews of the 3rd, but the Blomstedt Bruckner symphonies have gotten excellent reviews in Fanfare and the American Record

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                            They are hybrid SACD Hafod so will play. I bit the bullet for the Blomstedt box last week. Bloody expensive and I'm still not sure if I should have.
                            To put it in context I ordered the complete Phillips Brendel recordings--over 100 CDs- for the same cost as this Bruckner set

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              Not sure I agree. Recordings so frequently come and go out of the catalogue that it doesn't make sense to exclude something which may only be temporarily unavailable. Moreover, any record company worth its salt, will reinstate a recording which has the BAL imprimatur.
                              All the Bruckner/LGO/Blomstedt discs are currently indicated as being available from the German version of the Querstand site. Those not on Page 4 are on Page 5. The English version is shown as currently being under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                To put it in context I ordered the complete Phillips Brendel recordings--over 100 CDs- for the same cost as this Bruckner set
                                Exactly, but I've (almost) convinced myself that as we have so many good value choices available to us the odd expensive one can be tolerated.

While my wallet gently weeps...........

Comment

Working...
                                X