• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Not to drag this excellent thread too far off course - well maybe it's just the Bruckner thread now - I've been listening to the Venzago 2/1877 this week and I just can't move on from it - it's both beautiful and revelatory, even more so than when it appeared. It's rubato-rich in interpretative interest but almost unique in performance style. And what a wonderfully pure tone from the principal horn. I always felt earlier, quicker recordings of the various revisions (e.g. Jochum/Dresden) tried too hard to align it with the later, larger-scale, more dramatic Bruckner, whereas the 2nd is unique in its largely gentle lyrical, pastoral serenity... I feel we had to wait till Tintner really , to get at the truth of it.
    Have to give this a spin!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Update for anyone still chasing the top recommendation on silver disc. My order placed via amazon.de (with a ~'Marktplatz' seller presumably) seemed to be going through nicely, but amazon.de told me some hours later that it had been 'cancelled' by the vendor

I then placed an order on amazon.uk at c.£16 + p&p, putting less than total faith in their statement that more stock was anticipated. But they told me yesterday that my order will arrive chez LMP between 18 Jan and 9 Feb

Will let you know if my joy is confounded...
      It's just arrived! But the Amazon UK website is still saying it's out of stock so dunno what'll happen if you order it now
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

I am much taken with Inbal's recording on Teldec. It is, I think the 'first' version - whatever that actually may mean!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          I am much taken with Inbal's recording on Teldec. It is, I think the 'first' version - whatever that actually may mean!
          See above (at length....). It's simply the Original 1873 version, ed.Nowak, which was only published in 1977. Inbal's was the first recording of it in 1982, and very good it still sounds.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            See above (at length....). It's simply the Original 1873 version, ed.Nowak, which was only published in 1977. Inbal's was the first recording of it in 1982, and very good it still sounds.
            Inbal does seem to have this reputation of producing exceedingly good recordings, of whatever he turns his hand to. Seems rather sacrilegious, on my part not to have bought any!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Inbal does seem to have this reputation of producing exceedingly good recordings, of whatever he turns his hand to. Seems rather sacrilegious, on my part not to have bought any!!
              Sacrilegious? I think you're being a touch harsh on yourself, there, Bbm!

Yes, it was Inbal and not Tintner who originally introduced me to the first Bruckner versions.

Incidentally, though on this occasion he uses the inferior (immho!) 1878/80 version of No 4, there is a recent video recording of Inbal/FRSO on YouTube performing this particular work.

Anton Bruckner: 4. Sinfonie (Fassung 1878/80) ∙»Romantische«(Auftritt) 00:00 ∙I. Bewegt, nicht zu schnell 00:43 ∙II. Andante quasi Allegretto 18:40 ∙III. S...

Well worth a watch!

(Sorry to digress from No 3 once again ... )

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

My copy of the Blomstedt has arrived from Amazon today 3 weeks after ordering . Whether they have re-released it is not clear .

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  My copy of the Blomstedt has arrived from Amazon today 3 weeks after ordering . Whether they have re-released it is not clear .
                  My Blomstedt set arrived from Amazon the other day, marvellous stuff.

Comment

• Kamisama
                    • Mar 2015

The Blomstedt SACD finally on its way from Amazon UK.
                    Ordered on 23rd January at the fairly reasonable price of £12.34

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

There are so many possibilities with this symphony. I've parked the Bloomstedt for now (which is a super performance, but might be overrated, for some reason) and today I've been listening to:

Roger Norrington - London Classical Players
                      Herbert von Karajan - BPO
                      Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Orchestre Métropolitain

These are all amazing performances and if I had to choose, I'd go for the Norrington. Today. Tomorrow, who knows.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        There are so many possibilities with this symphony. I've parked the Bloomstedt for now (which is a super performance, but might be overrated, for some reason) and today I've been listening to:

Roger Norrington - London Classical Players
                        Herbert von Karajan - BPO
                        Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Orchestre Métropolitain

These are all amazing performances and if I had to choose, I'd go for the Norrington. Today. Tomorrow, who knows.
                        Hiya Beefy,

Bruckner's Third is a super work that I erroneously ignored for many years.

The live account from Yannick Nézet-Séguin with the Staatskapelle Dresden using the original version of 1873 on Profil is my first choice.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Hiya Beefy,

Bruckner's Third is a super work that I erroneously ignored for many years.

The live account from Yannick Nézet-Séguin with the Staatskapelle Dresden using the original version of 1873 on Profil is my first choice.
                          Heyy Stan - That Profil Nézet performance with the Staatskapelle Dresden is great, but I have a slight preference for the later (?) Orchestre Métropolitain account.

I am studiously ignoring version city !!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Heyy Stan - That Profil Nézet performance with the Staatskapelle Dresden is great, but I have a slight preference for the later (?) Orchestre Métropolitain account.

I am studiously ignoring version city !!
                            Having only heard it earlier this year, the Staatskapelle Dresden/Sinopoli has gone to the top of my list in this work. Terrific performance!
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

I see they're boxing up the Nezet Metropolitain discs for issue in the Spring chucking in a new 5.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Having only heard it earlier this year, the Staatskapelle Dresden/Sinopoli has gone to the top of my list in this work. Terrific performance!
                                I'm not surprised that you admire the Sinopoli, I do too, as the Staatskapelle Dresden is one the world's greatest orchestras and excel in Bruckner.

Comment

Working...
                                X