Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 28.01.17 - Sibelius: Tapiola Op. 112

Building a Library: Andrew Mellor sifts through some of the available recordings of Sibelius's Tone Poem Tapiola.
    Tapiola is Sibelius's final masterpiece for orchestra and, it has been said that, had he written nothing else, this haunting work alone would rank him among the greats. The head of the score sets the scene: "In Pohjola there are thick, dark forests that dream wild dreams, forever secret. Tapio's eerie dwellings are there and half-glimpsed spirits, and the voices of twilight."

Available versions:

L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ernest Ansermet
    Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Thomas Beecham (download)
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Thomas Beecham (download)
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Eduard van Beinum
    Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Paavo Berglund
    Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Paavo Berglund
    San Francisco Symphony, Herbert Blomstedt
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Adrian Boult
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Anthony Collins
    Boston Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis
    London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis
    Scottish National Orchestra, Alexander Gibson
    Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi
    London Symphony Orchestra, Robert Kajanus
    Lahti Symphony Orchestra, Okko Kamu
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert von Karajan
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert von Karajan
    BBC Symphony Orchestra, Serge Koussevitzky
    Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Lorin Maazel
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo
    Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Hans Rosbaud
    Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Petri Sakari
    Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jukka-Pekka Saraste
    Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Leif Segerstam
    Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra, Vassily Sinaisky
    Lahti Symphony Orchestra, Osmo Vänskä
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-01-17, 14:17.

One of my favorite pieces of music. The one time that I heard a concert performance was Esa Pekka Solonen conducting in Chicago and it was overwhelming.
    No recording has ever approached that experience for me, but Karajan/EMI and Vanska in Lahti are the two that I play.
    This is one piece that cries out for a good high resolution recording. Are there any?

Comment

Looks like 2 of my more historic recordings are not currently available, Beecham Helsinki PO and Hannikainen LSO, the former's on CD too. Both really should be made available.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        This is one piece that cries out for a good high resolution recording. Are there any?
        I agree although it's amazing how exciting Beecham makes it despite the sound, somehow he always seems to get the spine tingling quality in Sibelius in a way that many more modern recordings don't.

Comment

One of my favorite pieces of music. The one time that I heard a concert performance was Esa Pekka Solonen conducting in Chicago and it was overwhelming.
          No recording has ever approached that experience for me, but Karajan/EMI and Vanska in Lahti are the two that I play.
          The only high resolution offerings as QOBUZ appear to be transfers of analogue recordings. Otherwise, Vanska in 24 bit 44.1kHz sampling looks like being the closest to high res. for a modern recording.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
            Looks like 2 of my more historic recordings are not currently available, Beecham Helsinki PO and Hannikainen LSO, the former's on CD too. Both really should be made available.
            Mike
            The Beecham/Helsinki does seem to be on the Presto website.

Comment

One of my favorite pieces of music.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

It's in my top 2 anyway. For me, Philharmonia/Karajan, without question. Not readily available though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post

It's in my top 2 anyway. For me, Philharmonia/Karajan, without question. Not readily available though.
                  In its remastered guise, it's in the early 1950s Warners Karajan remastered box. Fantastic.

Comment

I have a soft spot for Philharmonia/Ashkenazy but it has to be Karajan on EMI in 1976 for the winner's enclosure. I've got quite a number of recordings of Tapiola but it's actually not a piece I listen to very often. It'll be interesting to do a BeefO immersion to see how they stack up.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I have a soft spot for Philharmonia/Ashkenazy but it has to be Karajan on EMI in 1976 for the winner's enclosure. I've got quite a number of recordings of Tapiola but it's actually not a piece I listen to very often. It'll be interesting to do a BeefO immersion to see how they stack up.
                      Like you, I don’t play it so often, at least not as often as it deserves. I quite enjoy an immersion in an excellent work. I hope to do one with Tapiola before the BaL is broadcast.

I have:

Karajan -
                      Philharmonia 1953 EMI
                      BPO 1964 DG
                      BPO 1976 EMI
                      BPO 1984 DG (c/w Nielsen 4, The Inextinguishable)

Berglund -
                      Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra Warner Classics
                      Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra EMI

Blomstedt - San Francisco Symphony Decca

Colin Davis - Boston Symphony Orchestra Decca

Sakari Oramo - CBSO Erato

Osmo Vanska - Lahti Symphony Orchestra BIS

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Philharmonia Decca

Petri Sakari - Iceland Symphony Orchestra Naxos

Alexander Gibson - Scottish National Orchestra Chandos

Concerning a favourite, it’s hard to say because I’m not terribly familiar with all the recordings I have, but from the ones I know well, it’s Ashkenazy Philharmonia, Karajan BPO 1964 DG or Karajan BPO 1976 EMI.
                      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 28-01-17, 13:49. Reason: Found the Gibson disc on the shelf!

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                        Mike
                        You could always download the Hannikainen from You Tube ...

Support us on Patreon and get more content: https://www.patreon.com/classicalvault --- Jean SibeliusTapiola, Op 112London Symphony OrchestraTauno Hannikainen...

Comment

I have:

Karajan/Philharmonia EMI 1953
                          Karajan/BPO DG 1964
                          Karajan/BPO EMI 1976
                          Karajan/BPO DG 1984

Colin Davis/LSO Sony

Berglund/Bournemouth SO EMI/Warner
                          Berglund/Helsinki PO EMI

Ashkenazy/Philharmonia Decca

Thought I had more than this - no Rattle for instance - but, unless I find others hidden away in boxed sets somewhere, it's enough to be going on with and a good opportunity to get to know the piece better.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Hannikainen's Sibelius, including "Tapiola" is available on a Magdalen 2 CD set at budget price (METCD8024). The transfers are excellent. I first got to know these performances from World record Club LPs, many years ago. "Tapiola" itself is also available on Ondine CD or download.

Comment

Confession time (well, we seem to be into that on the forum right now): not a piece I think I know, but I may well recognise it as soon as I hear the first few bars.
                              Easier and quicker for me than for others here to do a BeefO-type immersion as I find I have only three versions, all as fillers to symphony sets.

Colin Davis: Boston SO (Philips Duo incarnation; the original LPs I replaced were a babysitting thank you present from friends who went to Boston; not sure if they actually heard any Sibelius while they were there)
                              Colin Davis: LSO (RCA set)
                              Paavo Berglund: Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (EMI incarnation; I think BeefO has confused his orchestras or elevated Bournemouth to city status!)

Comment

Working...
                              X