BaL 29.04.17 - Schumann: Liederkreis (Op.24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 29.04.17 - Schumann: Liederkreis (Op.24)

Building a Library with Natasha Loges on Schumann’s song cycle ‘Liederkreis’, Op.24, composed in 1840, the year he almost exclusively devoted to song composition immediately after his marriage to Clara.

Available versions:

Olaf Bär, Geoffrey Parsons (download)
    Thomas Bauer, Uta Hielscher
    Florian Boesch, Malcolm Martineau
    Ian Bostridge, Julius Drake
    Jan DeGaetani, Lee Luvisi
    Brigitte Fassbaender, Irwin Gage
    Gerald Finley, Julius Drake
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Jörg Demus
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Hartmut Höll (download)
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Hartmut Höll (DVD)
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Hertha Klust
    James Gilchrist, Anna Tilbrook
    Matthias Goerne, Vladimir Ashkenazy (download)
    Walton Grönroos, Ralf Gothóni
    Werner Güra, Christoph Berner
    Wolfgang Holzmair, Imogen Cooper
    Christian Immler, Georges Starobinski
    Jochen Kupfer, Reinild Mees
    Sebastian Noack, Manuel Lange
    Mark Padmore, Kristian Bezuidenhout
    José Pizarro, David Aijón
    Christoph Prégardien, Michael Gees (download)
    Andreas Schmidt, Rudolf Jansen
    Maximilian Schmidt, Gerold Huber
    Peter Schreier Christoph Eschenbach
    Peter Schreier, András Schiff
    Peter Schreier, Norman Shetler
    André Schuen, Daniel Heide
    Gerard Souzay, Dalton Baldwin
    Toby Spence, Ian Brown
    Nathalie Stutzmann, Inger Södergren
    Roman Trekel, Oliver Pohl
    Per Vollestad, Sigmund Hjelset
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 29-04-17, 11:20.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Bostridge/Drake here. C/W Dichterliebe et al.

I’m not in the market for another recording.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I have the Partridge family, and Fassbaender/Gage - I don't intend buying any others, but look forward to eating my words and ordering half-a-dozen others after the broadcast. Many thanks again for the list, Alpie
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I have the Partridge family, and Fassbaender/Gage - I don't intend buying any others, but look forward to eating my words and ordering half-a-dozen others after the broadcast. Many thanks again for the list, Alpie
        This looks a pretty strong field! I'd be interested in hearing Fassbaender's rendition, because I love her voice, but am otherwise likely to stick with Schreier/Eschenbach. In a CD collection which does not run to multiple versions except in relatively few cases, I often lean towards artists I've heard live.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

I'm not crazy about lieder - unless it's Richard Strauss; so I'll wash the car instead!

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

I've had Schreier with Shetler on LP since the 1970s and never really got a grip on this cycle. Time to revisit and maybe reinvest.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for a great list. Looking forward to this: Schumann/Heine make a great team.

I first got to know this lovely cycle with Fischer-Dieskau and Hertha Klust as a student nearly 50 years ago. For the most part beautifully done by a young F-D but not quite so interestingly accompanied, so for me not a first choice. His later DG version with Christoph Eschenbach seems not to be on the list but is available on a recommendable, well-priced twofer. It could be that the pairing with Jörg Demus on the list above actually refers to this one. Demus accompanies other songs on there. I can't actually find an op 24 with Demus.

Christopher Maltman should probably be on the list. His version with Graham Johnson is part of the Hyperion Complete Schumann Lieder - individual disc seems to be download only but complete set is available on CD. Well reviewed (eg Alan Blyth in Gramophone) but again not an absolute top choice for me.

Of those recordings I have I would go for the Schreier/Shetler version on the list, but I have a soft spot for his late live Dresden recital with Andras Schiff on Orfeo, even though he was aged 67 and admittedly a bit past it (also my age, incidentally!) but I would probably end up picking Wolfgang Holzmair and Imogen Cooper - a superb performance.

Comment

• Karafan
                • Nov 2010

I am always disappointed if Richard Wigmore isn't utilised as the "go to" man for lieder criticism!
                "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Not my scene this, no matter how many times I have tried. I love English song though. Weird?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Not my scene this, no matter how many times I have tried. I love English song though. Weird?
                    Same here.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Mmm, can't rule out a purchase after this one!

I have the Fassbaender/ Gage and two NLAs: Ruud van der Meer/ Rudolf Jansen (probably a rarity in this country) and Wolfgang Holzmair/ Daniel Levy, not I suspect in the same league as EA's listed Holzmair/ Cooper.

PS Just found Schreier/ Schiff in the unplayed recent (or not so recent) purchases stack. Oh dear!
                      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 28-04-17, 20:40. Reason: Checking the To Play stack
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I only have the Bostridge I see . I tend to prefer female voices in Schumann's songs e,g della Casa and Ferrier in Frauenliebe und Leben . I look forward to hearing this though .

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I only have the Bostridge I see . I tend to prefer female voices in Schumann's songs e,g della Casa and Ferrier in Frauenliebe und Leben . I look forward to hearing this though .
                          Not many male recordings of Frauenliebe und -Leben for some reason Barbs! Though Alec Robertson's musical autobiography tells of his attempting a performance shortly after his discovery of Lieder but with no knowledge of German. His tutor at some point asked him if he was feeling all right; he said Yes.

Tutor expressed some surprise, telling him he'd just given birth

[PS Just checked the book (More than Music, Collins 1961): it was his accompanist, not his tutor!]
                          Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 28-04-17, 20:57.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Not many female versions of 0p 24. I don't know Brigitte Fassbaender but I'm sure she makes a good job of it. I'm a big fan of the French contralto Nathalie Stutzmann who sings the only female recording I have of Op 24. I have had a lot of enjoyment from her good value 5CD Schumann box. I also like her Schubert cycles - great versions and well-priced.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                              I am always disappointed if Richard Wigmore isn't utilised as the "go to" man for lieder criticism!
                              But Natasha Loges is one of the very best people to be heard on R3, I'll certainly be listening to this one!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X