• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 26.05.18 - Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex

Building a Library: Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex with Kate Molleson.
    Stravinsky's "Opera-oratorio after Sophocles" is scored for orchestra, speaker, soloists, and male chorus. Jean Cocteau's French libretto was translated by Abbé Jean Daniélou into Latin but the narration is performed in the language of the audience. This dramatic and exciting work is from the beginning of Stravinsky's neoclassical period, and is one of the his finest works.

Available versions:-

Lajos Kozma, Tatiana Troyanos, Franz Crass, Luigi Ron, Franco Jacopucci, Giancarlo Sbragia, Orchestre symphonique de la radio italienne de Rome, Claudio Abbado *

Ivo Zidek, Vera Soukupova, Zdenek Kroupa, Karel Berman, Eduard Haken, Antonin Zlesak, Jean Desailly, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Prague Philharmonic Choir (Czech Philharmonic Chorus), Karel Ancerl

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Paul Pasquier, Ernest Ansermet

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly

Martyn Hill, Andrew Greenan, Jennifer Lane, Joseph Cornwell, David Wilson-Johnson, Edward Fox, Simon Joly Male Chorus, Philharmonia Orchestra, Robert Craft

Jessye Norman, Thomas Moser, Alexandru Ionita, Michel Piccoli, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Colin Davis

Harold Blackburn, Ronald Dowd, Sir Ralph Richardson, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Sadler's Wells Opera Chorus, David Tod Boyd, Sir Colin Davis *

Ferenc Fricsay

Jennifer Johnston, Stuart Skelton, Gidon Saks, Fanny Ardant, Gentlemen of the Monteverdi Choir & London Symphony Orchestra, Sir John Eliot Gardiner (SACD)

Gérard Depardieu, Sergei Semishkur, Evgeny Nikitin, Mikhail Petrenko, Ekaterina Semenchuk, Alexander Timchenko, Mariinsky (Kirov) Orchestra, Mariinsky Chorus, Valéry Gergiev (SACD)

Franz Grundheber, Gabrielle Schnaut, Günter von Kannen, Peter Svensson, Rudolf Rosen, Ruben Amoretti, Jean Piat, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Romande Chamber Choir, Lausanne Pro Arte Choir, Brassus Choral Society, Neeme Järvi

Aldo Bertocci, Arnoldo Foà, Nicolai Gedda, Mario Petri, Magda Laszlò, Nestore Catalani, Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma della RAI, Coro di Roma della Rai, Herbert von Karajan

Philip Langridge, Florence Quivar, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, James Levine

Jessye Norman, Peter Schreier, Bryn Terfel, Harry Peeters, Robert Swensen, Michio Tatara, Saito Kinen Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa (DVD)

Simon Estes, Hans Sotin, Anne Sofie von Otter, Nicolai Gedda, Patrice Chereau, Hans Sotin, Esa-Swedish Radio SO, Pekka Salonen

Peter Pears, Kerstin Meyer, Donald McIntyre, Benjamin Luxon, Alec McCowen, Sir Georg Solti

Martha Modl, Helmut Krebs, Peter Pears, Heinz Rehfuss, Jean Cocteau, Otto von Rohr, WDR Symphony Orchestra, West German Radio Symphony Orchestra, Cologne Radio Chorus, Igor Stravinsky

John Westbrook, George Shirley, Donald Gramm, Chester Watson, Shirley Verrett, John Reardon, Loren Driscoll, Washington Opera Society Orchestra, Washington Opera Society Chorus, Igor Stravinsky

Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Alastair Miles, John Mark Ainsley, Lambert Wilson, John Tomlinson, Marjana Lipovsek, Peter Coleman-Wright, London Philharmonic Choir, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Franz Welser-Möst, *

* Download only
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 26-05-18, 10:53.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Phew! Looks like one of the finest, Bernstein, is out of the catalogue at the moment. It's on Youtube but seems not even to be available easily as a download.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Many thanks, Alpie.

The Karajan recording with Gedda is available in CD format - in this box:

... and separately:

I have that boxed set - mainly for those interested in Stravinsky performance history, and sound quality varying from the execrable to the tolerable. Karajan's performance is ... interesting: in the same mould as his Philharmonia recording of the Jeu de Cartes (also in this box - badly transferred). It would have been interesting if he'd returned to these works with an orchestra that wasn't so obviously unfamiliar with the Music. Not a serious contender (and it won't be mentioned, of course) but worth picking up if you see it in a Charity Shop, or suchlike.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Many thanks, Alpie.

The Karajan recording with Gedda is available in CD format - in this box:

... and separately:

I have that boxed set - mainly for those interested in Stravinsky performance history, and sound quality varying from the execrable to the tolerable. Karajan's performance is ... interesting: in the same mould as his Philharmonia recording of the Jeu de Cartes (also in this box - badly transferred). It would have been interesting if he'd returned to these works with an orchestra that wasn't so obviously unfamiliar with the Music. Not a serious contender (and it won't be mentioned, of course) but worth picking up if you see it in a Charity Shop, or suchlike.
        Oh good! We've only had one asterisk-free BaL in recent times.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Any details on the Fricsay would be appreciated. It's listed on the Presto website, without mentioning the other performers (unless I've missed it).

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Any details on the Fricsay would be appreciated. It's listed on the Presto website, without mentioning the other performers (unless I've missed it).

and https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-1594704.html

Comment

• Mal
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Simon Estes, Hans Sotin, Anne Sofie von Otter, Nicolai Gedda, Patrice Chereau, Hans Sotin, Esa-Swedish Radio SO, Pekka Salonen
              This "displaces all rivals, even the composers own" for Penguin 1999. Is it in that big Salonen box set that has just come out?
              Last edited by Mal; 18-05-18, 14:06.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                Missing the chorus: it's "Eric Ericson Chamber Ch."

This "displaces all rivals, even the composers own" for Penguin 1999. Is it in that big Salonen box set that has just come out?
                It is certainly in the 7 disc Salonen Stravinsky box:

It's disc 58 in the big box.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                  • Nov 2010

Pears, sadly, is all over the place in both his recordings. Koĺlo (for Bernstein) is far superior, though the close miked narration on that version sounds a bit too much like a fireside chat. Ancerl is pretty good but the narration is in French. Davis gets a dated recording in his earlier version. I would be interested to hear Salonen (Vinson Cole? Who he?).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    (Vinson Cole? Who he?).
                    One of Karajan's last "discoveries" - he's on the Digital Beethoven #9, and the "Italian Tenor" in the DG Rosenkavalier.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Pears, sadly, is all over the place in both his recordings. Koĺlo (for Bernstein) is far superior, though the close miked narration on that version sounds a bit too much like a fireside chat. Ancerl is pretty good but the narration is in French. Davis gets a dated recording in his earlier version. I would be interested to hear Salonen (Vinson Cole? Who he?).
                      I wonder what Stravinsky thought about having the work performed in French. There's a separate discussion waiting to be had concerning translations from Latin into modern languages, I feel. Citing "Oedipus Rex", the left-wing composer Hanns Eisler designated this work to be the one in which Stravinsky abandoned modernism and became a reactionary composer. One assumes Eisler's objections to have been along lines that use of Latin was a decision that distanced the work from having any relevance to the working class - an interesting deduction to make, and one at variance with Peter Maxwell Davis's opera "Taverner", whose main theme the composer intended as a protest against the modern Roman Catholic Church's abandonment of Latin as the international lingua franca to be used for its religious services, which PMD saw as a betrayal of the unificatory significance of a common language binding all adherents or observants. I never did understand PMD's position on this, actually - to be frank, it seemed an odd position on a purely religious issue for an atheist to take!

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Ancerl has a tremendous chorus, tremendous presence. The narration was originally in French, surely?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I have this on that composer box set, so it be good to hear about others.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

The narration should be in the language of the intended audience. The singing should always be in Latin.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The narration should be in the language of the intended audience. The singing should always be in Latin.
                              Ah, didn't know that. thanks for that explanation Bryn.

Comment

Working...
                              X