Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 18.02.12 - Bach Goldberg Variations

Following the first Chamber Prom, I would be interested in hearing the members’ opinions and preferences. We can talk about it in four categories:

1.Historical: you may not recommend it as the DC to buy but the performance(s) worth listening to for various reasons.

2.Recordings of currently (or almost currently) active performers. I think we can keep the question of availability as extra information.

3.On the piano: as the preferred or ‘could be recommended’ performance but let’s leave out the ‘I can’t stand it’

4.Arrangements and curiosities

All or any.

I am still holding on to Trevor Pinnock’s 1980 recording but if/when Mahan Esfahani releases his, I shall definitely buy it.

On LP:

Tureck (HMV mono) Piano
    Weissenberg (French HMV) Piano
    Malcom (L'Oiseau Lyre) Harpsichord
    Walcha (HMV) Harpsichord
    Landowska (RCA mono) Harpsichord
    Kirkpatrick (Archiv) Harpsichord

On CD:

Arrau (RCA) Piano
    Rosen (Sony) Piano
    Gould (Sony,1981 recording) Piano
    Gould (Sony 1959 Salzburg Festival debut recording, mono) Piano

If I had to chose one, I'd fight for two: Walcha on harpsichord, which is the performance from which I got to know the work, and Gould 1959 on the piano, because its Gould. On the Gould disc you get the rest of his recital too: Sweelink's Fantasia in D, Schoenberg's Suite Op. 25 and Mozart's Sonata K 330. I'm no pianist, but I reckon its pretty amazing to knock that lot out from memory, then launch into the Goldbergs as well.

With respect to the piano versus harpsichord debate, I'm happy with either. I've very little time for the argument that Bach's (or anyone else's ) music should only be played on the instruments of their time. Interesting to hear, but not obligatory, in my view. Bach was, by accounts I've read, a virtuoso keyboard player and in demand to show off new instruments. Given the opportunity to try a new organ, would play one of his more showy Preludes and Fugues, to test the power and flexibility of the instrument. I bet if he could have got his hands on a modern piano, he'd have loved it.

There's also the interesting thought that's just occurred to me, that the Goldbergs were written to "divert" (according to my Walcha sleevenotes) an insomniac count. Its not clear if they were meant to send him to sleep, or simply entertain him, but if someone was playing music to me to send me to sleep, I wouldnt want it on the harpsichord, its not a soothing sound.

Comment

Doesnt anyone have a view on Bach's 'Goldberg Variations'? Nothing? Not a squeak about one of the greatest and most divine pieces of music ever written? I only listed a few versions I own, simply because I do. Surely there are qualified musicians out there who might deign to comment on the music itself, not merely my random selection of ancient discs? This is thread about one of the most sublime works in the canon. Nothing ... ? Peter Katin, this would be a worthy item for a real musician, come in and speak. I'm worried, I'll have to go to bed now, but if I get up tomorrow and find no response, I'll be very worried ...

Comment

Available versions:

Harpsichord
        Devine
        Halls
        Auger
        Bonizzoni
        Suzuki
        Ogg
        Zimmermann
        Beauséjour
        Payne
        Staier
        Hantai
        Pinnock
        Landowska
        Egarr
        Leonhardt
        Rousset
        Hantai
        Vinikour
        Dirksen (with organ)
        Pelleg
        Weiss
        Jarrett

Piano
        Solé
        Vassilakis
        Friskin
        Cload
        Chung
        Schirmer
        Crossland
        Pi-hsien
        Pescia
        Propper
        Nikolayeva
        Vladir
        Marsoner
        Issakadze
        Schiff
        Schiff
        Zahharenkova
        Van Bloss
        Tal & Groethuysen
        Lim
        Feltsman
        Gould (multiple versions)
        Hewitt
        Koroliov
        Perahia
        Bacchetti (x 2)
        Jando
        MacGregor
        Angelich
        Pelleg
        Korevaar
        Ohlsson
        Tureck
        Tanski
        Kann
        Janssen

Clavichord
        Steen
        Gát

Organ
        Rost
        Guillou
        Van Tricht
        Sonnentheil
        Barshai
        Lagacé
        Albrecht
        Lagacé
        Vigneron

Other

Schmeding
        Asperen
        Stirmer
        Goldberg Trio Bonn
        Leopold String Trio
        Amat String Trio
        Strauf & Harders (viola da gamba)
        Anzellotti (accordion)
        Patkovic (accordion)
        Finch (harp)
        Blassel (harp)
        Karlheinz Essl-Live Electronics & Orpheus Trio
        Swiss Chamber Soloists
        Sax Allemande (saxophones)
        Homecoming Woodwind Ensemble
        Stadfield
        Schornsheim
        NES Chamber Orchestra, Henry Grossman
        Dimitry Sitkovetsky, Gérard Caussé, Mischa Maisky (string trio)
        Gaede Trio
        Jacques Loussier Trio
        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 15:56.

Comment

I have Schiff's first (Decca) recording. On the rare occasions when I listen to it all through (roll on retirement!) I find it very satisfying, though it seems that Schiff's second recording may be even finer. I don't see myself collecting multiple versions, but then I don't do that generally.

Comment

I have that recording to. I also find itr rather satisfying to listen. I also have Canadian brass(that famous brass quintet), playing it as well. Can we add that one to the list?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

J S Bach Goldberg Variations - Freddy Kampf (piano)

I got this cd yesterday when I bought a copy of the BBC Music Magazine.

I know very little about Bach, but have listened to this cd a number of times and am really enjoying it. Can anyone recommend any other versions of this amazing piece? The cd I have is played by pianist Freddy Kampf.

Thanks!

Comment

Apologies, I accidentally posted this thread twice. If the mods could delete the other thread, please? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Three View Post
                  I got this cd yesterday when I bought a copy of the BBC Music Magazine.

I know very little about Bach, but have listened to this cd a number of times and am really enjoying it. Can anyone recommend any other versions of this amazing piece? The cd I have is played by pianist Freddy Kampf.

Thanks!

Three, I commented earlier on this CD.
                  If you want to go for an excellent milestone recording, try Gould's 1955 version (on Sony).

Comment

It would be fascinating to explore different recordings of the Goldberg.

The 1955 Gould version is very much a milestone, as Roehre has said. It is an 'essential listen' but do bear in mind that Gould has a very individual approach to Bach (love him or hate him).

Out of curiosity I've just looked what is available on Spotify and was surprised by the large number of recordings available there (both on piano and harpsichord), a few of which are: Bob van Asperen, Andras Schiff, Rosalyn Tureck, Glenn Gould, Masaaki Suzuki, Charles Rosen, Andrei Gavrilov, Wanda Landowska, Tatjana Nikolayeva, Maggie Cole. (Though finding them all using Spotify's search function might be ... err ... tricky.)
                    Last edited by johnb; 21-07-11, 13:07.

Comment

you may not have seen this thread, recently started Three

it is a huge field and somewhat daunting!

both the early 1950s gould and his later version are key recordings but there are many others with less idiosyncratic interpretations ....
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

It would be fascinating to explore different recordings of the Goldberg
                        This work is a great favourite of mine - never tire - and I have over 50 versions, mostly piano/harpsichord some live off air. Very few duds -maybe Landowska's 8 litre Bentley harpsichord is bit hard to take though. I have a treasured "Interpretations on Record" programme on tape that set me off all those years ago. Remember Basil Lam?!!?? There must be a BAL in the archive somewhere surely?

Those of you with incurable curiosity might like to try the versions for organ, harp, cembalom, string quartet, string band [arr Sitkovetsky] , accordion [yes, several of them] and jazz quartet.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, and apologies for missing the earlier thread.

Comment

The Goldberg Variations is a favourite of mine too, and I enjoyed the recent concert from Cadogan Hall with Mahan Esfahni, harpsichord. My first version was by Wanda Landowska, when the harpsichord was a bit of a novelty for me. Since then I have acquired the two Glenn Goulds, Angela Hewitt, Andras Schiff, Rosalyn Tureck, all piano, and Teodoro Anzellotti, accordion. I don't have to hear the whole work at one sitting, though I often do, and for that reason I always have a version in the car.

Comment

This seems to be the latest (the first on Eine Alpensinfonie’s list). Anybody heard it?
                              Steven Devine steers well clear of expressive extremes, surveying every detail, but missing the heart of the work, writes Andrew Clements

Did Kirkpatrick record it? I’m rather fond of his Well-tempered Clavier on the clavichord, but even he didn’t insist on playing the Goldberg on clavichord?

And welcome to the Forum, Three.

Comment

Working...
                              X