• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 24.04.21 - Stravinsky: Violin concerto in D

As part of R3's Stravinsky Day

9.30am
    Building a Library
    Nigel Simeone joins Andrew to discuss different recordings of Stravinsky's vibrantly sparkling Violin Concerto, ultimately recommending the must-have version to buy, download or stream.

Available versions

Blacher/Mahler Chamber Orchestra/Abbado *
    Chung/LSO/Previn
    Dushkin/Lamoureux CO/Stravinsky *
    Favier/OP de Liège/Perruchon *
    Ferras/OSR/Ansermet
    Frautschi/Philharmonia/Craft
    Gitlis/O des Concerts Colonne/Byrns
    Gourdjia/Deutsche RPO/Nagy
    Gringolts/Sinfónica de Gallica/Slobodeniouk
    Grumiaux/Bavarian RSO/Bour *
    Grumiaux/RCO/Bour
    Grumiaux/NWDRSO/Fricsay *
    Haendel/Czech PO/Ancerl
    Hahn/ASMF/Marriner
    Irnberger/Vienna RSO/Salomon *
    Juillet/Montreal SO/Dutoit *
    Kagan/USSR SSO/Svetlanov *
    Kerr/RCO/Chailly
    Kopatchinskaja/LPO/Jurowski *
    Lin/Philharmonia/Salonen *
    Mordkovich/OSR/N Järvi *
    Mullova/LAPO/Salonen *
    Mutter/Philharmonia/Sacher
    Nebel/Baltic Sea Philharmonic/K Järvi
    D Oistrakh/Lamoureux CO/Haitink
    D Oistrakh/Moscow PO/Kondrashin
    Perlman/CSO/Barenboim
    Perlman/BSO/Ozawa
    Ricci/Hessischen RSO/Dixon
    Rybor/Winterthur SO/Sternberg *
    Schneiderhan/BPO/Ancerl
    Shaham/BBCSO/Robertson
    Skride/BBCNOW/Fischer
    Stanske/SWG RSO/Stravinsky
    Stern/Columbia SO/Stravinsky
    Vengerov/LSO/Rostropovich
    Wang/Philharmonia/Sanderling
    Zehetmair/Northern Sinfonia/Zehetmair
    Zimmermann/Stuttgart RSO/Gelmetti *

(* = download only)

Corrections/additions welcome, as usual.
    Information taken from the Presto website.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 24-04-21, 10:55. Reason: Typo spotted! And another! R3 website info added

Additional material that might be of interest.

1: YouTube version with score available here:

Perlman/BSO/Ozawa

2: Wiki link (information about its conception, composition, first performance, etc, including a display of the so-called 'passport' chord):

3: Other performances not listed above that may be of interest:

Krzysztof Smietana/Philharmonia/Craft

Tossy Spivakovsky/Utah Symphony Orchestra/Maurice Abravanel
    Vanguard/Bach Guild (included in 'The Big Stravinsky Box'; streamable, at least on Deezer)
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-03-21, 13:06. Reason: Typo corrected

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Additional material that might be of interest.

1: YouTube version with score available here:

Perlman/BSO/Ozawa

2: Wiki link (information about its conception, composition, first performance, etc, including a display of the so-called 'passport' chord):

3: Other performances not listed above that may be of interest:

Krzysztof Smietana/Philharmonia/Craft

Tossy Spivakovsky/Utah Symphony Orchestra/Maurice Abravanel
      Vanguard/Bach Guild (included in 'The Big Stravinsky Box'; streamable, at least on Deezer)
      The Music Masters Classics CD with the Krzysztof Smietana/Philharmonia/Craft on it has just been delivered. Disc, booklet, and case, all in excellent condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        The Music Masters Classics CD with the Krzysztof Smietana/Philharmonia/Craft on it has just been delivered. Disc, booklet, and case, all in excellent condition.
        I'll be interested to hear what you make of it (and the couplings): I see other copies are still available at about the price you paid.

PS: Ordered anyway: there was only one reasonably priced copy left; it got good reviews and the couplings are interesting.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-03-21, 14:36. Reason: PS added.

Comment

This should be interesting. I like this piece very much but I haven't yet come across a recording that really ticks all my boxes, particularly the problem that most recordings of violin concertos have, viz. that the violin is too loud relative to the orchestra. Balance issues like this should be solved by performers (and of course composers), not engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I'll be interested to hear what you make of it (and the couplings): I see other copies are still available at about the price you paid.

PS: Ordered anyway: there was only one reasonably priced copy left; it got good reviews and the couplings are interesting.
            Listening to the CD now. There is the occasional weakness in the brass section but, on the whole, Stravinsky's timbral combinations are very well handled. Very different to the Pat Kop recording, of course, of which I am very fond. The Stern/Stravinsky has long been my 'go-to', but as much due to its having been my introduction to the work as anything else. It's fair to say ti was the other works on the MMC CD that tipped the balance in its favour, especially The Flood.

I've now got onto the songs. I do not think you will be disappointed.
            Last edited by Bryn; 24-03-21, 16:21. Reason: Update.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              This should be interesting. I like this piece very much but I haven't yet come across a recording that really ticks all my boxes, particularly the problem that most recordings of violin concertos have, viz. that the violin is too loud relative to the orchestra. Balance issues like this should be solved by performers (and of course composers), not engineers!
              Heard Lutoslawski on Chandos, Saariaho on Ondine or BIS, Skalkottas on BIS? All different perspectives, but balance very natural on those...
              I could adduce many others...it was a problem in the past, but now I don't perceive it nearly as often...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-03-21, 18:03.

Comment

and the good news is that the presenter will be Nigel Simeone.

Comment

There's also an Oistrakh recording with the Berlin Symphony and Sanderling but sadly I can't find any current availability.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                    There's also an Oistrakh recording with the Berlin Symphony and Sanderling but sadly I can't find any current availability.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Heard Lutoslawski on Chandos, Saariaho on Ondine or BIS, Skalkottas on BIS?
                      Now why would I want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Now why would I want to do that?
                        Perhaps to occupy your mind a little more fruitfully than making flippant posts...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Perhaps to occupy your mind a little more fruitfully than making flippant posts...
                          that's me seen off then

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                            and the good news is that the presenter will be Nigel Simeone.

That is indeed good news.

Comment

Seems I have a dozen or so recordings on CDs of this concerto, not all purchased with it specifically I mind. The earliest is the Dshkin/Lamoureux/Stravinsky of 28-29 October 1935. The most recent is that from Pat Kop and Jurowski (which I cannot immediately locate).

Comment

Working...
                              X