No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 14.05.22 - Vaughan Williams: Symphony no. 4 in F minor

9.30am
    Mark Lowther joins Andrew to discuss a huge range of recorded performances of the Fourth Symphony of Ralph Vaughan Williams, who was born 150 years ago this autumn. First performed in 1935, its austerity and directness seem to presage the looming horror of World War II.

“Huge" number of available versions :-

BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein *
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Paavo Berglund *
    American Symphony Orchestra, Leon Botstein *
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Adrian Boult *
    New Philharmonia Orchestra, Sir Adrian Boult
    BBC Symphony Orchestra, Martyn Brabbins
    Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Paul Daniel
    BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sir Andrew Davis
    London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (SACD)
    Hallé Orchestra, Sir Mark Elder
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Haitink
    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Vernon Handley *
    London Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox (SACD)
    Oregon Symphony, Carlos Kalmar (SACD)
    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Andrew Manze
    New York Philharmonic, Dimitri Mitropoulos
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Sir Roger Norrington
    London Symphony Orchestra, Antonio Pappano (SACD)
    London Symphony Orchestra, André Previn *
    Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Robert Spano *
    NBC Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski *
    London Symphony Orchestra, Bryden Thomson
    BBC Symphony Orchestra, Ralph Vaughan Williams
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Ryan Wigglesworth

* = download only
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 01-06-22, 11:57.

The thread title is lacking an 's'.

Do streaming versions count?

There is Gennady Rozhdestvensky's set of VW with the USSR Ministry of Culture SO.

Perhaps out of favour right now for other reasons, but it might be of interest. It is on Tidal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      The thread title is lacking an 's'.

Do streaming versions count?

There is Gennady Rozhdestvensky's set of VW with the USSR Ministry of Culture SO.

Perhaps out of favour right now for other reasons, but it might be of interest. It is on Tidal.
      Of interest if for no other reason than it's the only non-UK or non-US orchestra who appear to have recorded the piece.
      Do we know if it even gets played anywhere else?

Berglund, Boult (EMI), Haitink, Handley, and Previn here (in addition to the latest BBC MM cover CD: BBC PO/John Wilson).

(Bryn and cloughie spoke highly of the recent RLPO/Manze version on the What Classical.....thread when I mentioned the BBC MM cover CD version; it's set to be streamed later!)

PS: Bryn has reminded me of an earlier BBC MM CD: BBCSSO/Del Mar
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 26-04-22, 10:57. Reason: BBC MM cover CD version reference added (and then a PS!).

Comment

I acquired Berglund on the strength of the last BaL recommendation, to add to versions by the composer, Previn and Haitink. There are passages in the finale which are very difficult to execute at the prescribed metronome mark. There are three solutions: one (composer) is to take it at the marked speed and never mind the untidy bits; another (Previn) is to take the whole movement below the prescribed tempo; the third (Berglund) is to go at the prescribed speed and slow down for the tricky bits. I still prefer the composer's approach. I'd like to hear Stokowski and Pappano.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          I acquired Berglund on the strength of the last BaL recommendation, to add to versions by the composer, Previn and Haitink. There are passages in the finale which are very difficult to execute at the prescribed metronome mark. There are three solutions: one (composer) is to take it at the marked speed and never mind the untidy bits; another (Previn) is to take the whole movement below the prescribed tempo; the third (Berglund) is to go at the prescribed speed and slow down for the tricky bits. I still prefer the composer's approach. I'd like to hear Stokowski and Pappano.
          Already ! This was only done a few years ago surely ?

Comment

Yes March 2012 .

As far as I can see from the five pages in the forum BAL has only done VW 2 and 9 since 2012 - why No 4 again rather than any of the others ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Yes March 2012 .

As far as I can see from the five pages in the forum BAL has only done VW 2 and 9 since 2012 - why No 4 again rather than any of the others ?
              Oddly, No. 4 had only been done twice in the 54 years before 2012 (Nov 94 when Edward Greenfield chose Previn + March 75: I don’t know which version Hugh Ottaway chose on that occasion) so that makes it even stranger to now cover it twice in 10 years.

As far as I can tell, these were the last dates on which VW symphonies were covered by BaL:

Sea Symphony: 19 May 2007
              London Symphony: 12 November 2016
              Pastoral Symphony: 28 May 2005 (the only occasion it’s ever been covered)
              4: 10 March 2012
              5: 19 April 2003
              6: 19 April 2008
              Sinfonia antartica: never
              8: never!
              9: 8 Feb 2014 (the only occasion it’s ever been covered)

Unbelievable that the 8th, one of his most popular symphonies, has never been covered by the programme - surely that’s a gaping hole in any VW library?

I was also really surprised to see that the The Lark Ascending has only been covered once (in May 91) and the Tallis Fantasia hasn’t been covered since May 2002.

As I’ve said before, I don’t know why the producers don’t take more account of past programmes when deciding what works to include in each series.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Already ! This was only done a few years ago surely ?
                This may be a very personal observation. I like the work but it is my least favorite RVW Symphony after the Sea Symphony. Unlike that piece I do occasionally still listen to the Fourth, but I really listen to all the other Symphonies much more freq. I find that RVW trod the same ground much more effectively in the Sixth, which also has that wonderful last movement. I realize that the Fourth may occupy a spot in the RVW Pantheon similar to the Fourth in the Sibelius cycle, but it’s a work I find myself respecting rattan than loving

Comment

From an email received from a former forum member:

Recorded in 2011 by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra under Peter Oundjian on TSO Live 0311.

Comment

I have Sir Andrew Davis (Teldec/Warner), Vernon Handley (EMI), André Previn (RCA), Bryden Thomson (Chandos). Boult (EMI 1970s recording).
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I enjoy Mark Lowthers library building, quietly old school.

Not heard a word against the newish Pappano.

Comment

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
                        I don’t know why the producers don’t take more account of past programmes when deciding what works to include in each series.
                        Has the G minor Mass (a work I am getting to know having recently bought the StJohn's Choir/ Nethsingha version) ever been covered. I don't have a photographic memory but I have no recollection of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                          Has the G minor Mass (a work I am getting to know having recently bought the StJohn's Choir/ Nethsingha version) ever been covered. I don't have a photographic memory but I have no recollection of it.
                          It has. The Vasari Singers conducted by Jeremy Backhouse was the recommended version.

Comment

Today I listened to the spine tingling 1937 BBCSO conducted by the great man himself (Naxos Historical)
                            Bet it doesn't win though
                            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                              Today I listened to the spine tingling 1937 BBCSO conducted by the great man himself (Naxos Historical)
                              Bet it doesn't win though
                              It will be a travesty if it is not mentioned, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X