Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got round to listening to this. An exemplary BAL with a good balance between explaining the work (unfamiliar to quite a few I'd guess) and comparing the performances within the 45 minutes available. I thought the difference between the 1908 and 1916 versions was made clear by the excerpts played: the original more astringent and echt Janacek, the latter looking back to the 19th century with more than a hint of Strauss. Janacek was supposed to have liked the reorchestration but given how old he was before he found his voice and his work started to be played I can't imagine him being too negative about any performance.

I could happily have lived with either of the two final possibilities judging by the excepts played. I can imagine the Mackerras edging over Jílek not least because it was the original version even though some of the individual Brno performers sounded absolutely tremendous.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      I believe there's been talk of a DVD release in due course. I do hope so –from a musical point of view it was very fine indeed, whatever reservations I might have about the production.
      The DVD/ Blu Ray of the Covent Garden Jenufa is due to be released on 26 August.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
      X