Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saves me money,this has. Give me Previn’s, any day. I have, yes, Previn, Gardner, Brabbins, and Gibson
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by mahlerfan View Post
      Yes, I think I agree.... it's a bit childish
      Yes but the first cut is the deepest and if it was a mono LP probably deeper than later stereo!

But more seriously I think that it may be that the impression and the getting to know a particular interpretation there has to be a significant difference, improvement or maybe a better sounding recording to displace it. The ‘wow’ factor! (I suppose that has double meaning in hifi terminology).

Comment

Originally posted by mahlerfan View Post
        Yes, I think I agree.... it's a bit childish
        Childish, eh? Pretty much sums up a Hurwitz rant. I narcissist of Johnsonian proportions. Still, such shock jocks certainly attract a considerable number of followers.

Comment

It strikes me that much of this discussion actually hinges on the fact that BaL as it now stands is not really fit for purpose.
          Interest on the forum seems to have declined (and there was little last year for our Summer BaLs too).

Maybe over summer this year we could try a different approach, rather like there is each month in Gramophone: Classics reconsidered.

Someone launches a thread, choosing their own favourite classic recording of a (favourite) work, and the discussion then evolves to see if it has stood up to the passage of time. Of course we run the risk of HIPP/non-HIPP, OVPP over big chorus, etc, but with luck we can choose works that avoid such issues, at least to start with!

Comment

I think there are 3 main problems with BBC's BAL as it stands: 1. Programme should be at least 60mins long 2. Far too many recordings to consider these days 3. Andrew McGregor ( excellent on his own but ditch 'twofers'). Maybe the format has had it's day, much as I love the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Someone launches a thread, choosing their own favourite classic recording of a (favourite) work, and the discussion then evolves to see if it has stood up to the passage of time. Of course we run the risk of HIPP/non-HIPP, OVPP over big chorus, etc, but with luck we can choose works that avoid such issues, at least to start with!
              Good idea. I have a suggestion - though I'm not sure if it would be suitable.

Comment

It strikes me that much of this discussion actually hinges on the fact that BaL as it now stands is not really fit for purpose.
                Interest on the forum seems to have declined (and there was little last year for our Summer BaLs too).

Maybe over summer this year we could try a different approach, rather like there is each month in Gramophone: Classics reconsidered.

As much of the current BAL discussion -- & from memory this was sometimes a feature of previous threads as well -- seems to centre on the merits or demerits of a certain American musical critic/commentator, I suggest the hosts consider a new "Hurwitzballs" thread in place of the summer BAL.

Comment

BUT if McG is trying to get ....ahem.....one like T.Service to stay grounded and move on, maybe.............?

Apart from that,. totally agree, ONE voice is the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Childish, eh? Pretty much sums up a Hurwitz rant. I narcissist of Johnsonian proportions. Still, such shock jocks certainly attract a considerable number of followers.
                    .......and some people even concur with some of his assessments almost word for word, it's shocking

Comment

Call the thread - This one’s a cracker - what do YOU think?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Call the thread - This one’s a cracker - what do YOU think?
                        Sounds a great idea!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I have acquired a copy of the composer’s recording. I like it a lot and think it should have received rather more attention than it did in this BAL

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            I have acquired a copy of the composer’s recording. I like it a lot and think it should have received rather more attention than it did in this BAL
                            TS kicked off his survey with an extract of the opening of the first movt, but he and AMcG sidelined it for being 70 yr-old mono, rather ignoring its sterling virtues as a performance -- the Philharmonia of this vintage being more than a match for any of the later bands who recorded it, and WW himself no slouch on the podium. I think I have all bases covered now with the composer's version, LSO/Previn & Bournemouth/Karabits. Incidentally, I acquired my CD copy of the Previn -- supplementing worn-out vinyl -- in a bargain twofer from BMG ( Sir William Walton Collected Works), which includes the Heifetz recording of the violin concerto accompanied by WW, the Cello Concerto with Piatigorsky/BostonSO/Munch, Viola Concerto with Bashmet/LSO/Previn, and the Sinfonia Concertante with Kathryn Stott/RPO/Handley. All top-drawer stuff. I think its unavailable as new at the moment, but for anyone who wants to acquire an essential Walton Collection for a pittance, there are "very good" second-hand copies on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                              TS kicked off his survey with an extract of the opening of the first movt, but he and AMcG sidelined it for being 70 yr-old mono, rather ignoring its sterling virtues as a performance -- the Philharmonia of this vintage being more than a match for any of the later bands who recorded it, and WW himself no slouch on the podium. I think I have all bases covered now with the composer's version, LSO/Previn & Bournemouth/Karabits. Incidentally, I acquired my CD copy of the Previn -- supplementing worn-out vinyl -- in a bargain twofer from BMG ( Sir William Walton Collected Works), which includes the Heifetz recording of the violin concerto accompanied by WW, the Cello Concerto with Piatigorsky/BostonSO/Munch, Viola Concerto with Bashmet/LSO/Previn, and the Sinfonia Concertante with Kathryn Stott/RPO/Handley. All top-drawer stuff. I think its unavailable as new at the moment, but for anyone who wants to acquire an essential Walton Collection for a pittance, there are "very good" second-hand copies on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X