Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    The Karajan/Decca Die Fledermaus is one of the few recordings by that team that I don’t have. It was a brilliant team.
    Very much worth having .

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      The Previn is good, pity about the laughter track used in the party scene, one woman is particularly irritating.
      She can’t be as annoying as Ivan Rebroff on the Kleiber recording
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Having a ball of her own…

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
          Nothing in the entire history of recorded music is as annoying as Ivan Rebroff on the Kleiber recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            What I find most surprising about all this is that whereas Kleiber wouldn’t sanction his marvellous studio recording of Tristan he was quite happy to give the green light to this travesty of a performance. Rebroff’s tone is stretched beyond its limits by the role, his intonation is approximate and his whole interpretation is comic in completely the wrong way. Turn to Fassbaender for Boskovsky to hear how it should be done. All of which is a great shame because Kleiber’s conducting fizzes and sparkles and the rest of the cast are all excellent, led by Popp and Varady, the latter every inch the vamp as the grand ungarische Graffin in Act 2.
            Last edited by Wolfram; 15-09-22, 12:03.

Comment

I will miss this one (and the following week's BAL) as I will be in Greece. I have never heard this piece in full, just excerpts, but the performances that interest me most are Boskovsky and (pace Ivan Rebroff) Kleiber. I don't know yet whether I'll be catching-up on BBC Sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                The Previn is good, pity about the laughter track used in the party scene, one woman is particularly irritating.
                I must admit it has never bothered me though if I recall rightly Edward Greenfield had kittens about it Gramophone.

Comment

It's a pity that Fledermaus has been victim to various gimmicks that would be inconceivable in a recording of an opera by Britten or Monteverdi. Some works seem similarly unlucky. They used to mess about terribly with Henry Wood's 'Fantasia on British Sea Songs' at the Last Night.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    It's a pity that Fledermaus has been victim to various gimmicks that would be inconceivable in a recording of an opera by Britten or Monteverdi. Some works seem similarly unlucky. They used to mess about terribly with Henry Wood's 'Fantasia on British Sea Songs' at the Last Night.
                    True, though they don’t mess about with the Wood Fantasia so much now. Those extra bits added by Bob Chilcott were cringeworthy, to say the least. However, they do tear off Rule Britannia at the end, substituting it with Sargent’s arrangement of the complete song.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      It's a pity that Fledermaus has been victim to various gimmicks...
                      The problem with an audio only recording of Fledermaus is that some 'gimmicks' are unavoidable if it isn't to fall flat. There is also a good deal of dialogue that moves the plot forward, especially in Act 3, and there you have the drunken gaoler, Frosch, who has to be believable without going completely OTT. Likewise the party in Act 2, which has to sound like a believable party without going way over the top.

In my view, the Boskovsky recording passes all these tests with flying colours and comes across as a very believable production. In addition to all that, you have Gedda, Fischer-Dieskau, Berry, Fassbaender, and Rothenberger all in fine form and you have a winner. The only downside is it's not the Wiener Philharmoniker but the Symphoniker but they play with great flair and sparkle for Boskovsky who knew this music inside out.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Good point petrushka. I suppose my view comes from a lifetime of just listening to the music!

Comment

I have the 1960/Decca/Karajan & will take a lot of persuading to cough up for another, but if there's one reviewer who could pull this off it's our own Makropulos.Boskovsky will be up with the front runners I'd imagine. Nice to see appreciation of Otto Ackerman, who was highly regarded by the Philharmonia players of that era.

Comment

I'll be listening with interest.

I have the earlier Karajan and the Fricsay which is superb but the sound, although amazing for 1949 and better than the Karajan, is still mono. Interesting comparing these versions, Karajan sound rather earthbound after Fricsay whose overture seems slow at the start but it's paced beautifully and from then on, it fizzes with a cast with no weak members. The Adele in both is the fabulous Rita Streich in a role she was born to sing, having said that she was better in 1949, a young voice that ideally fits the maid.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                              I will miss this one (and the following week's BAL) as I will be in Greece. I have never heard this piece in full, just excerpts, but the performances that interest me most are Boskovsky and (pace Ivan Rebroff) Kleiber. I don't know yet whether I'll be catching-up on BBC Sounds.
                              Sadly I find that Boskovsky is download only and Kleiber only available as part of a larger box that would involve a number of duplications of performance. The Harnoncourt is also only in a larger box. The choice for somebody wanting a stand-alone recording on CD is very limited, especially as Presto says that a number are "out of stock at the UK distributor". When will the rercording companies learn?

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                                Sadly I find that Boskovsky is download only and Kleiber only available as part of a larger box that would involve a number of duplications of performance. The Harnoncourt is also only in a larger box. The choice for somebody wanting a stand-alone recording on CD is very limited, especially as Presto says that a number are "out of stock at the UK distributor". When will the rercording companies learn?
                                The Boskovsky is readily available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Strauss-F...al%2C59&sr=1-3

So is Kleiber: https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Strauss-D...ar%2C59&sr=1-2
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X