Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Campoli/Navarro /Barbirolli is an underrrated gem.
    This was the first recording I owned as a kid, on Pye I think. I haven’t heard it for years; I lost the two cd set of Barbirolli recordings that it appeared on ages ago. I hope it isn’t just nostalgia - it probably is - but no recording since has ever managed to recapture the joy of listening that old Barbirolli recording. Although, like others above, I quite like Weithaus with Manze, Repin and Mork, and Shaham and Wang. There are a lot of others that get so bogged down that sometimes I wonder why I ever liked this concerto so much when I was younger. I am looking forward to this one this morning.

Comment

No reaction again. Perhaps it’s the start time.

Comment

Interesting comments but overall very disappointing with so few versions considered. Only 2 versions since 1970, what was wrong with all the others? Yes the early versions are interesting but the advantages of modern recording should have allowed more versions to be considered and we should know why they weren't.

A minor point but the Oistrakh/Rostopovitch version conducted by 'the elderly George Szell'. He died at 73, what would Mehta, Zinman, Muti, Barenboim, Gardiner, Andrew Davis, Chung, Herreweghe, Krivine and many others make of that let alone Blomstedt.
        Last edited by mikealdren; 01-10-22, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Or the fact that it was, as MA says, "disappointing". It had the faint air of a couple of blokes, down the pub. I have the recommended recording somewhere in a box in the eaves - and I've never liked the Heifetz/Piatigorsky very much. Not a vintage edition of BaL.

Comment

He inspired me to go and listen immediately to the chosen performance - the Capucons. Excellent choice, I think. I got bogged down with the two performances I have, but didn't with the Capucons. I found it a little slow/indulgent at the beginning (which is why I dismissed it in my pre-programme sampling!) But I accepted that it might be more indulgent, and less vehement, than some and quickly began to appreciate it - great idea starting the review with the slow movement, the Capucons so beautiful there that you are prepared to put up with a little indulgence to get there! And it's only a little. The first movement, after the first few minutes, gets going, with a good balance between the soloists and orchestra. This is certainly one I could live with as a library choice, though would want to listen to some of those "golden age" performances as supplements.

I thought keeping down to eight performances was a good idea - gave him the chance to go into the works he really liked in some depth.

A very good BAL, I thought.

Comment

Perhaps it’s the start time.
              I just can’t get used to the new time for BaL.

Best time was 9.05 with John Lade and a pot of Earl Grey.
              Then ok at 9.30 for ages.
              Now, by 10.30 we’re up and about…

I prefer to listen live, and have done since studying for O-levels (though now it’s with Orange Pekoe).

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                He inspired me to go and listen immediately to the chosen performance - the Capucons. Excellent choice, I think. I got bogged down with the two performances I have, but didn't with the Capucons. I found it a little slow/indulgent at the beginning (which is why I dismissed it in my pre-programme sampling!) But I accepted that it might be more indulgent, and less vehement, than some and quickly began to appreciate it - great idea starting the review with the slow movement, the Capucons so beautiful there that you are prepared to put up with a little indulgence to get there! And it's only a little. The first movement, after the first few minutes, gets going, with a good balance between the soloists and orchestra. This is certainly one I could live with as a library choice, though would want to listen to some of those "golden age" performances as supplements.

I thought keeping down to eight performances was a good idea - gave him the chance to go into the works he really liked in some depth.

A very good BAL, I thought.
                Steady on Mal: I felt it just deserved a ‘good’ rating.
                What did I like?
                The three categories : historic (baseline), golden age (development) and recent ( where we are in technology, research and playng).
                The identification of similar vibrati rates from the soloists as a virtue,
                Decent length of samples.
                Sensible recommends: one Golden, the other relatively new.
                Andrew exercised self-control.
                What dismayed me:
                Only 8 Selected from a large field.
                Manzé and partners were praised and then disappeared from view.
                The new starting time.

All three of my CDs are from the Golden Era. Given my ever deteriorating ears, I judged that I need not rush to buy the brothers Capuçon.

Comment

Or the fact that it was, as MA says, "disappointing". It had the faint air of a couple of blokes, down the pub. I have the recommended recording somewhere in a box in the eaves - and I've never liked the Heifetz/Piatigorsky very much. Not a vintage edition of BaL.
                  I was totally confused this morning. I used to have an excuse for getting up late...but the limit has been exceeded now. Yes I know there's catch-up, but there are better things to catch up on. My list of 'must listen' programmes on R3 is diminishing.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    I was totally confused this morning. I used to have an excuse for getting up late...but the limit has been exceeded now. Yes I know there's catch-up, but there are better things to catch up on. My list of 'must listen' programmes on R3 is diminishing.
                    I wonder if listening figures suggest a big drop off after BAL ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I wonder if listening figures suggest a big drop off after BAL ?
                      I’ve adapted already. Gone is the cup of tea in bed at 9.30 just in time for BaL to start. Instead now I get up and go out and do some shopping at the market back in time to listen at 10.30 on the Hi-Fi, which sonically is light years better than our bed side radio. It’s an I’ll wind that blows nobody any good as the saying goes.

I have to confess that I heard the Galliera except and thought this is great, it’s got fire and guts and passion; and then they trashed it, binned it off completely. What do I know? Nothing, obviously.

Comment

Oh dear, I'm always seeming to have to react with "Disappointing" to recent BALs. Was Roger Parker the right choice of reviewer as it appears he didn't really think much to the piece? For me there was too much of the 'historic' choices and not enough of modern versions, which I should imagine is where most listeners interest would lie. I've had a number of LP versions in my library since my teens so I was interested in modern choices, especially since I recently had the task of 'rescueing' and preparing/mastering for CD release an amateur off-air recording of the 'Double' (along with the Beethoven 'Triple') from a 1973 BBC broadcast from Aldeburg, with Parikian, Bengtsson and the ECO under Del Mar - George Malcolm joining them for the Beethoven. As others have said, it's somewhat a favourite of mine, and I have absolutely no problems with early cadenzas and the generous length of the first movement, though the violin does generally seem to play 2nd fiddle (haha) to the cello. Only a few of the many available recordings got a brief mention and that was it! I'm really none the wiser of what to go out and buy, excepting the winner of course.

Comment

Not a great BAL IMVVHO but I have always liked the piece and was pleased my favourite Heifetz/Piatigorsky did so well …

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
                            I have to confess that I heard the Galliera except and thought this is great, it’s got fire and guts and passion; and then they trashed it, binned it off completely. What do I know? Nothing, obviously.
                            I also liked that clip. Maybe they were being kind in highlighting the best bit? The orchestra was wonderful in this clip. But they said, overall, Oistrakh and Fournier were much better in other recordings.

I also rather liked the Bell/Iserlis clip from the slow movement, but that CD was quickly dismissed as well, without an example of things going wrong...

Maybe the programme should be longer? And harsher?

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              Oistrakh and Fournier were much better in other recordings.

Maybe the programme should be longer?
                              Which? And YES! (I continue to suggest this).
                              Last edited by Lordgeous; 02-10-22, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
                                I’ve adapted already. Gone is the cup of tea in bed at 9.30 just in time for BaL to start. Instead now I get up and go out and do some shopping at the market back in time to listen at 10.30 on the Hi-Fi, which sonically is light years better than our bed side radio. It’s an I’ll wind that blows nobody any good as the saying goes.

You are right they are wrong.

It’s a legendary recording the criticism of the vintage Philharmonia more than odd and
                                Oistrakh/Fournier are superb especially in the slow movement . Although the Capucons won the Gramophone collection last year the Galliera was the runner up legendary choice and in her original highly complimentary review of the Capucons Harriet Smith referred to them as being still unsurpassed in the slow movement.

One recording I was surprised of modern versions to be missing was the excellent Fischer/Muller-Scott/Kreizberg.
                                Last edited by Barbirollians; 01-10-22, 23:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X