Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 8.07.23 - Stravinsky: Petrushka

Petrushka was the second ballet Stravinsky wrote for Diaghilev's Ballets Russes in 1911, and it has been dazzling audiences ever since. Jonathan Cross leads the way through a vast range of approaches before settling on the ultimate recording to buy, download or stream.

Available versions:

London Symphony Orchestra/Claudio Abbado
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Karel Ancerl
    Suisse Romande Orchestra/Ernest Ansermet
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein
    Israel Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein
    American Symphony Orchestra/Leon Botstein
    Cleveland Orchestra/Pierre Boulez
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Pierre Boulez
    Moscow Conservatory Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Boulez
    Orchestre de Paris/Semyon Bychkov
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Riccardo Chailly
    Philharmonia Orchestra/Robert Craft
    Sinfonie Orchester Basel/Dennis Russell Davies
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Sir Colin Davis
    Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra/Antal Dorati
    Minnesota Symphony Orchestra/Antal Dorati
    Detroit Symphony Orchestra/Antal Dorati
    Wiener Philharmoniker/Christoph von Dohnanyi
    Montreal Symphony Orchestra/Charles Dutoit
    London Symphony Orchestra/Charles Dutoit
    USSR TV and Radio Large Symphony Orchestra/Vladimir Fedoseyev
    Budapest Festival Orchestra/Ivan Fischer
    BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Thierry Fischer
    Deutsches Sinfonie Orchester/ Ferenc Fricsay
    RIAS Symphony Orchestra, Berlin/Ferenc Fricsay
    London Symphony Orchestra/Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos
    Orchestre National de France/Danieli Gatti
    Maryinski Orchestra/Valery Gergiev
    New York Philharmonic Ochestra/Alan Gilbert
    London Philharmonic Orchestra/Bernard Haitink
    Berliner Philharmoniker/Bernard Haitink
    Philharmonia Orchestra/Eliahu Inbal
    Melbourne Symphony Orchestra/Hiroyuki Iwaki
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Maris Jansons
    Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Maris Jansons
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Maris Jansons
    Suisse Romande Orchestra/Neeme Jarvi
    London Philharmonic Orchestra/Vladimir Jurowski
    New Philharmonia Orchestra/Otto Klemperer
    Czech Philharmonic Ochestra/Zdenek Kosler
    New Philharmonia Orchestra/Erich Leinsdorf
    Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra/Andrew Litton
    Orchestre National Bordeaux Aquitaine/Alain Lombard
    Wiener Philharmoniker, Lorin Maazel
    London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Charles Mackerras
    Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra/Nikolai Malko
    Philharmonia Orchestra/Igor Markevich
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Dimitri Mitropoulos
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Zubin Mehta
    Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra/Zubin Mehta
    Orquesta Sinfónica Del Principado De Asturias/Rossen Milanov
    Berliner Philhamoniker/Pierre Monteux
    Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris/Pierre Monteux
    Boston Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux
    Boston Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux (DVD)
    French National Orchestra/Pierre Monteux
    Seattle Symphony Orchestra/Ludovic Morlot
    Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra/Yevgeny Mravinsky
    Philadelphia Orchestra/Riccardo Muti
    Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy
    Boston Symphony Orchestra/Seiji Ozawa
    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Vassily Petrenko
    Belgian Radio and Television Philharmonic Orchestra/Alexander Rahbari
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra/Sir Simon Rattle
    London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Simon Rattle
    Berliner Philharmoniker/Sir Simon Rattle
    Sydney Symphony Orchestra/David Robertson
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Hans Rosbaud
    Les Siecles/François-Xavier Roth
    London Symphony Orchestra/Gennadi Rozhdestvensky
    Philharmonia Orchestra/Esa-Pekka Salonen
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Hermann Scherchen
    Seattle Symphony Orchestra/Gerard Schwarz
    Paris Philharmonic Orchestra/Lalo Schifrin
    Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Sir Georg Solti
    Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre/Pavel Sorokin (ballet DVD)
    Philadelphia Orchestra/Leopold Stokowski
    Columbia Symphony Orchestra/Igor Stravinsky
    Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France/Evgeny Svetlanov
    London Philharmonic Orchestra/Klaus Tennstedt
    Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra/Yan Pascal Tortelier
    NBC Symphony Orchestra/Arturo Toscanini
    Baltimore Symphony Orchestra/David Zinman
    Last edited by Petrushka; 08-07-23, 13:38.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

I rather wish I hadn't accepted this challenge once I noticed the number of available versions but after several days it's here!

I've decided not to include any 'Petrushka Suite' recordings because I doubt if it will figure in the BaL programme and, surprisingly, there are so many versions I'd still be dong the list at Christmas. The same applies to the Three Pieces for piano. I've also decided against including any transcriptions (the four hands version for piano and others for organ and accordions) on the grounds that the sheer number available will make the listing much too long and would take forever to do.

The decision not to split the list between available versions of the 1911 and 1947 scores is a bit more problematic and one I regret so apologise if anyone wanted it. Many recordings do say which one is used but some don't. Sometimes it's even difficult to tell if it's the complete ballet or the suite that's been recorded! In one case (the Mackerras) it's difficult to tell which orchestra is playing - perhaps someone can clear that one up. Sorry but it's already taken me several days and I'm in awe of EA doing this every week!

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I rather wish I hadn't accepted this challenge once I noticed the number of available versions but after several days it's here!

I've decided not to include any 'Petrushka Suite' recordings because I doubt if it will figure in the BaL programme and, surprisingly, there are so many versions I'd still be dong the list at Christmas. The same applies to the Three Pieces for piano. I've also decided against including any transcriptions (the four hands version for piano and others for organ and accordions) on the grounds that the sheer number available will make the listing much too long and would take forever to do.

The decision not to split the list between available versions of the 1911 and 1947 scores is a bit more problematic and one I regret so apologise if anyone wanted it. Many recordings do say which one is used but some don't. Sometimes it's even difficult to tell if it's the complete ballet or the suite that's been recorded! In one case (the Mackerras) it's difficult to tell which orchestra is playing - perhaps someone can clear that one up. Sorry but it's already taken me several days and I'm in awe of EA doing this every week!
      Heartiest congratulations: I did wonder if Alpie might delegate this to you!

I certainly agree about it being difficult to distinguish between 1911 and 1947 versions from Presto's listings (and from the CD liner notes themselves in some cases).
      But I was able to identify these, so here's the start of a breakdown for those that are interested.
      Happy to add others if other members have recordings that are identified/identifiable as one or the other (and it's considered generally worth doing).
      This is not in any way a criticism or undermining of our member Petrushka's sterling efforts.

Suisse Romande Orchestra/Ernest Ansermet
      London Symphony Orchestra/Charles Dutoit
      Montreal Symphony Orchestra/Charles Dutoit
      Suisse Romande Orchestra/Neeme Jarvi
      Wiener Philharmoniker, Lorin Maazel
      Boston Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux
      Philadelphia Orchestra/Leopold Stokowski

London Symphony Orchestra/Claudio Abbado (mislabelled as 1911, according to Wiki)
      Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Karel Ancerl
      New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein
      Philharmonia Orchestra/Robert Craft
      Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Sir Colin Davis
      Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra/Antal Dorati
      Boston Symphony Orchestra/Seiji Ozawa (1970 and 1999)
      London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Simon Rattle
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 30-06-23, 11:14. Reason: Updated with information from Wiki article and other posts.

Comment

The Mackerras is with the LSO and it's the 1911 version so added to that list!

Comment

One simplification: Ansermet claimed that he never performed the revised versions of any IS ballets, so he is unlikely to have recorded it.
          One complication: Ansermet recorded it three times, twice in mono (LPO,OSR) once in stereo (OSR), and they were all available a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            The Mackerras is with the LSO and it's the 1911 version so added to that list!

https://www.discogs.com/release/7521...rsion-Complete
            Duly amended, thanks.

I also wondered whether the two Fricsay recordings listed are, in fact, one and the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Heartiest congratulations: I did wonder if Alpie might delegate this to you!

I certainly agree about it being difficult to distinguish between 1911 and 1947 versions from Presto's listings (and from the CD liner notes themselves in some cases).
              But I was able to identify these, so here's the start of a breakdown for those that are interested.
              Happy to add others if other members have recordings that are identified/identifiable as one or the other (and it's considered generally worth doing).
              This is not in any way a criticism or undermining of our member Petrushka's sterling efforts.

Just to highlight the problem. Stravinsky's own recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra has variously been attributed to 1911, 1947, as neither or an amalgam of both!

Comment

Just to highlight the problem. Stravinsky's own recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra has variously been attributed to 1911, 1947, as neither or an amalgam of both!
                Yes: pinches of salt required.
                I should probably be able to spot the difference(s) myself, though I have only a 1947 score.
                The big Sony Stravinsky box documentation lists it as 1947.

The Wiki article gives the different instrumentations of the two versions and also lists some notable recordings (with version, including a note of a misattribution!); I'll update the version list from it later, but with a 'Reader beware' warning!

Comment

Duly amended, thanks.

I also wondered whether the two Fricsay recordings listed are, in fact, one and the same?
                  Yes - The Rundfunk in Amerikanischen Sector (RIAS) Orchestra has morphed over the years into the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester. An addition to the list (if still available) is Sylvain Cambreling with the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg (now, from memory, merged with the Stuttgart-based SWR orchestra). I have the CD but, although I can't be 100% certain without a listen, 95% certain it's the 1911 version. Coupled with Debussy Prélude à l'Aprés-midi ... and my favourite version (in slightly truncated form) of the Florent Schmitt 'Tragédie de Salomé'. And churlish of me not to record my deep admiration of Petrushka for his herculean efforts.
                  Last edited by HighlandDougie; 27-06-23, 18:33.

Comment

Not seeing a recording on the list conducted by MTT I searched around on Qobuz to see if there is one, and no there isn't. But he must have recorded it surely. Nor do they list one by Michael Gielen. So which was the recording I listened to a couple of months ago that I really liked??? Damn.

Comment

I've just ordered a copy of the 1911 score: Dover Edition (much cheaper than B&H).

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                        Not seeing a recording on the list conducted by MTT I searched around on Qobuz to see if there is one, and no there isn't. But he must have recorded it surely. Nor do they list one by Michael Gielen. So which was the recording I listened to a couple of months ago that I really liked??? Damn.
                        Try this: https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/5...C3%80-La-Russe

No Gielen though - did he conduct it?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                          MTT did record it but it's out of the catalogue at the moment but there is this:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejsGZJQrmc)

I can find no sign of a Gielen recording.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            No Gielen though - did he conduct it?
                            His released Stravinsky recordings are mostly of much later works, apart from Zvezdoliki, but surely he must have conducted the three most famous ballets at some point. I still haven't worked out which (possibly quite recent) recording of Pet I found myself liking recently. Maybe it was Roth.

Comment

A few of each on my shelves:

There may be others lurking, coupled with things earlier in the A-Z run or in conductor boxes; either way, I'm not on the lookout for any more unless they turn up as Oxfam unmissables.

Comment

Working...
                              X