Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 2.12.23 - Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin

The Miraculous Mandarin, Op. 19, Sz. 73 (BB 82), is a one-act pantomime ballet composed by Béla Bartók between 1918 and 1924, and based on the 1916 story by Melchior Lengyel. Premiered on 27 November 1926 (conducted by Eugen Szenkar at the Cologne Opera, Germany), it caused a scandal and was subsequently banned on moral grounds. Although more successful at its Prague premiere, it was generally performed during the rest of Bartók's life in the form of a concert suite, which preserves about two-thirds of the original pantomime's music.

[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

Full ballet (chorus not credited)

LSO/Abbado [D, PCD]
    Bournemouth SO/Alsop [D, CD]
    CSO/Boulez (DG) [D, CD]
    NYPO/Boulez (Sony) [D]
    RCO/Chailly [D]
    BBCSSO/Dausgaard [D, CD]
    VPO/Dohnanyi [D]
    BBCSO/Dorati [D, PCD]
    Detroit SO/Dorati [D, PCD, CD]
    Montreal SO/Dutoit [D, PCD]
    Budapest Festival Orchestra/Fischer [PCD, D]
    SWRSO/Gielen [CD]
    Melbourne SO/Iwaki [D]
    Philharmonia O/N Jarvi [D, CD]
    BSO/Ozawa [D]
    CBSO/Rattle [D]
    Orchestre Nationale de Lille/Robertson [D, CD]
    Philharmonia O/Salonen [D, CD]
    Budapest PO/Sandor [D]
    Seattle/Schwarz [D]
    Cologne SO/Soliti [D, CD]
    LPO/Welser-Most [D, CD]

Suite

JDP/Boreyko [D, CD]
    Yomiuri Nippon SO/Cambreling [CD]
    CSO/Dorati [D, PCD]
    Hungarian NPO (Hungarian State SO)/Fischer [D, CD]
    Melbourne SO/Gardner [D, SACD]
    LSO/Gergiev [D, CD]
    BIPO/Goetzel [D, CD]
    ORF SO/Horvat [D]
    NHKSO/P Jarvi [D]
    Stuttgart RSO (SWR)/Kempe [D, CD]
    Helsinki PO/Malkki [D, SACD]
    Stuttgart RSO (SWR)/Marriner [D]
    CSO/Martinon [D]
    FNRO/Martinon [CD]
    BPO/Mehta [PCD, D]]
    Kyoto SO/Mund [D]
    Philadelphia O/Ormandy [D, PCD]
    BSO/Ozawa [D, PCD]
    LSO/Pasternak [D, CD]
    NBCSO/Reiner [D, CD]
    NYPO/Robertson [D]
    LAPO/Salonen [D]
    Minnesota O/Skrowaczewski [CD]
    CSO/Solti [D]
    LSO/Solti [D, PCD]
    Kansas CS/Stern [D, CD]

Piano duet Versions not listed
    Trio Versions not listed

Note: Details taken from the Presto site, but they were surprisingly confused; in many instances I have classified merely on the length of the performance.
    As ever, I'm more than happy to be made aware of corrections and additions.

Key

D: Download
    CD: CD (possibly in set)
    PCD: Presto CD
    SACD: SACD
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 07-07-23, 14:24. Reason: Further correction made.

Nice work, Pulci. My first introduction to the piece was Dorati/DSO and I still listen to that recording frequently. I purchased Alsop/Baltimore on Naxos (DVD-Audio)but it doesn’t have anywhere near the pizazz. I also have Boulez/NYP which was reissued on Dutton as SACD and the Martinon/CSO Suite, which is another stunner but I prefer the complete ballet

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Nice work, Pulci. My first introduction to the piece was Dorati/DSO and I still listen to that recording frequently. I purchased Alsop/Baltimore on Naxos (DVD-Audio)but it doesn’t have anywhere near the pizazz. I also have Boulez/NYP which was reissued on Dutton as SACD and the Martinon/CSO Suite, which is another stunner but I prefer the complete ballet
      I picked up the DSO/Dorati in 2017 in a local charity shop for 20p, and was bowled over: probably now my go-to version. It really is so full of energy and vital vigorous playing that it makes your hairs stand on end!

Comment

Dorati but with the BBC Symphony Orchestra for me, bought when I was all of 14 as a Philips mono deletion (in, I suspect, Boots the Chemist). I haven't listened to it for years, although I think that it might be in one of the three Mercury 'Living Presence' boxes. I like the Dohnányi recording - great VPO playing and excellent Decca sonics. Incidentally, the Janos Sandor version listed above with the 'BPO' is of course the Budapest Philharmonic, not the Berlin one.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          Dorati but with the BBC Symphony Orchestra for me, bought when I was all of 14 as a Philips mono deletion (in, I suspect, Boots the Chemist). I haven't listened to it for years, although I think that it might be in one of the three Mercury 'Living Presence' boxes. I like the Dohnányi recording - great VPO playing and excellent Decca sonics. Incidentally, the Janos Sandor version listed above with the 'BPO' is of course the Budapest Philharmonic, not the Berlin one.
          Expanded from BPO; thanks. My fault in abbreviating my list.

Comment

It's always been a mystery to me why Solti never recorded the complete ballet in Chicago or London while the chance was there. The elderly Cologne (mono) recording hardly cuts it. A pity.

My 'go to' recording is either LSO/Abbado or CBSO/Rattle, both top drawer in terms of performance and sound. I also have both Boulez recordings, Chailly, BBCSO/Dorati, BFO/Fischer. None of these are found wanting in any way and the ballet has generally been lucky on disc.

I never listen to the Suite nowadays but either of the Solti should suffice for those wanting it.
            Last edited by Petrushka; 07-07-23, 13:57. Reason: BBCSO not LSO
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Yes Mandarin has done very well on disc over the years, and HAS to be complete for me. I'm currently going through a 'phase' of rather obsessive listening to it, and it varies who comes out 'top'. Both Doratis are excellent, Detroit much better sound but plenty of guts in the BBC one. I've always stood by Abbado/ LSO, which has so much fire and energy, but Fischer/ Budapest is also exceptional and near ideally paced. Also a shout for a recent-ish Dausgaard/ BBC Scottish disc that is in sota sound and has interesting couplings - it's also the complete ballet not the suite as listed on Presto (I think they've mucked up the listing as there's also Suite No.2 on the disc...)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                Yes Mandarin has done very well on disc over the years, and HAS to be complete for me. I'm currently going through a 'phase' of rather obsessive listening to it, and it varies who comes out 'top'. Both Doratis are excellent, Detroit much better sound but plenty of guts in the BBC one. I've always stood by Abbado/ LSO, which has so much fire and energy, but Fischer/ Budapest is also exceptional and near ideally paced. Also a shout for a recent-ish Dausgaard/ BBC Scottish disc that is in sota sound and has interesting couplings - it's also the complete ballet not the suite as listed on Presto (I think they've mucked up the listing as there's also Suite No.2 on the disc...)
                Rob Cowan, in his review in August 2023's Gramophone of the newly released Dorati in Detroit Complete Decca Recordings, says:
                Dorati's Detroit complete Miraculous Mandarin ballet can be a bit unsteady on its feet (try 1'04" into track 2), though the organ in the opening scene makes a gothic din and the chase is exciting rather than manic.
                I'm not sure which track that will be on the incarnation I have, which has subdivisions of the 8 main tracks (for example into [1.1] and [1.2]). I'm not sure either that I want to listen with my stopwatch to hand, as it might put me off this version in future, rather like waiting for the click on a scratched LP.

PS: Dausgaard entry shifted.
                Last edited by Pulcinella; 07-07-23, 14:49. Reason: Duplicated into removed!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Rob Cowan, in his review in August 2023's Gramophone of the newly released Dorati in Detroit Complete Decca Recordings, says:

I'm not sure which track that will be on the incarnation I have, which has subdivisions of the 8 main tracks (for example into into [1.1] and [1.2]). I'm not sure either that I want to listen with my stopwatch to hand, as it might put me off this version in future, rather like waiting for the click on a scratched LP.

PS: Dausgaard entry shifted.
                  Yes I know what you mean...I think I felt a bit underwhelmed by the later Dorati at first (especially after Abbado's opening glissandos and that LSO brass) but I've rather warmed to it over time; bags of detail that can get lost if the pace it too manic, and that organ at the opening is a great hi-fi demo !

Comment

I have never felt the need to get another after LSO/Abbado - its just such a great record.

Comment

Yes I went back to it and it really has it all...

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                        Yes I went back to it [Abbado] and it really has it all...
                        I have been impressed with the Dausgaard, which you recommended; listened to it again yesterday.
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-07-23, 16:53. Reason: Abbado mentioned, for clarity.

Comment

Now that I again have access to the three Mercury boxes, I've been listening again to the Dorati/BBC SO recording (in Box 2) - my introduction to the MM. I think it stands up rather well. I haven't heard the later Detroit SO recording but hearing this again immediately reminded me of why my 14 year old self was so captivated by this masterpiece. The rather close recording (Watford Town Hall) suits the work. OK, so the BBC SO doesn't have the polish of the LSO but I don't think that the music suffers from the occasional rough edge.

Comment

Funnily enough, having gone back to the Abbado, I moved on to the first Dorati again - yes, it has a sort of 'raw' quality which really suits the work. He's marginally faster than the later Detroit, and it's great to hear the BBC brass having a good go...there is a bit of tape hiss on my pressing, but it just shows how much this music was in Dorati's blood (as it were).

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I have been impressed with the Dausgaard, which you recommended; listened to it again yesterday.
                              It's very impressive, and possibly the finest of the 'modern' versions from an audio perspective. Interestingly, I've found myself listening to the Suite No.2 on that disc, which I confess I didn't really know.

Comment

Working...
                              X