• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 7.04.12 - Bach's St Matthew Passion

9.30 Building a Library: Jeremy Summerly with a personal recommendation from recordings of Bach's St Matthew Passion.

Available Versions:

Dunedin Consort & Players, John Butt
    Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Thomanerchor Leipzig & Thomanerchor Leipzig, Riccardo Chailly
    Brandenburg Consort, King's College & Jesus College Choirs, Stephen Cleobury
    Eric Ericson Chamber Choir, Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble, Eric Ericson
    Wiener Singakademie, Wiener Sangerknaben, Wiener Philharmoniker, Wilhelm Furtwängler
    Monteverdi Choir, London Oratory Junior Choir, English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner
    KlangVerwaltung Orchestra, Chorgemeinschaft Neubeuern, Enoch zu Guttenberg
    Neubeurer Chorgemeinschaft, Tölzer Sängerknaben, Bach Collegium München, Enoch zu Guttenberg
    Concentus Musicus Wien, Arnold Schoenberg Choir & Wiener Sängerknaben, Nikolaus Harnoncourt
    Cantate Domino Schola Cantorum, Collegium Vocale & Collegium Vocale Orchestra, Philippe Herreweghe
    Bach Choir, Jacques Orchestra, Jacques
    Vienna Singverein, Herbert von Karajan
    Wiener Singverein, Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin & Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan
    Bruno Kittel Choir, Berlin Philharmonic, Bruno Kittel
    Philharmonia Choir & Orchestra, Otto Klemperer
    The Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir & Boys Choir of the Sacraments Choir, Breda, Ton Koopman
    La petite Band, Kuijken
    Runfunk-¬Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Großer Chor des Berliner Rundfunks, Children's Choir of St. Hedwig's Cathedral, Fritz Lehmann
    La Petite Bande, Tolzer Knabenchor, Gustav Leonhardt
    Gabrieli Consort, Paul McCreesh
    La Grande Ecurie & La Chambre du Roy, Jean-Claude Malgoire
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Thomanerchor Leipzig, Dresdner Kreuzchor, Rudolf Mauersberger
    Rheinische Kantorei, Das Kleine Konzert, Hermann Max
    Dresden Chamber Choir, Cologne Chamber Orchestra & Cologne Cathedral Boys’ Choir, Helmut Müller-Brühl
    Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra., Karl Munchinger
    Chor und Sinfonieorcheter des Hessischen Rundfunks, Günther Ramin
    Münchener Bach-Orchester, Karl Richter
    Gächinger Kantorei, Bach Collegium Stuttgart, Helmuth Rilling
    Jeunesses Musicales Choir, Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra, Budapest, Frigyes Sándor
    Hugues Cuénod (Evangelist), Magda Lászlò (soprano), Hilde Rössel-Majdan (contralto), Petre Munteanu (tenor), Richard Standen (bass - Judas/Pilate), Eberhard Wächter (bass - Peter/First Priest),Hermann Scherchen
    Ex Cathedra Choir & Baroque Orchestra, Jeffrey Skidmore
    Wandsworth School Boys’ Choir, London Bach Society, Steinitz Bach Players, Paul Steinitz
    Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki
    The Netherlands Bach Society with Kampen Boys Choir, Jos van Veldhoven
    Bach Choir, Sir David Willcocks
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 19:58.
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

A couple to add, that I have on my shelves and which I think are still available:
    Mengelberg, Concertgebouw et al on Naxos Historical
    Harnoncourt's first recording, which is included in the Bach monster box that Warner/Teldec has just reissued
    Brüggen, Orchestra of the 18th century et al, Philips - still available as a download
    Oberfrank, Hungarian Festival Chorus et al, on Naxos
    Solti, Chicago SO, on Decca, still available on amazon.co.uk

There are three recordings (!) by Pieter Leusink, all three issued on Amsterdam Classics. I don't know if any of them are still available.

and three others that are not:
    Jochum with Giebel, Höffgen, Haefliger, Berry et al, was on a bargain Philips German reissue, used copies still around on amazon.de
    Vaughan Williams on Pearl - no longer available apart from amazon Marketplace sellers (£26 or so for a new copy - worth every penny)
    Spering, Das neue Orchester et al, Naive - very interesting as it's Mendelssohn's version

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

I can recall two BALs on this work. A nice reflection of changing fashion. In the first, Karl Richter was out, John Eliot Gardiner was in (that's why I have his version!). In the second, JEG was out, Richter back in favour. If I were to buy another (I also have Harnoncourt), it would be Richter or Karajan I think, but it will be interesting to see where the winds of change will take us this time.

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        I can recall two BALs on this work. A nice reflection of changing fashion. In the first, Karl Richter was out, John Eliot Gardiner was in (that's why I have his version!). In the second, JEG was out, Richter back in favour. If I were to buy another (I also have Harnoncourt), it would be Richter or Karajan I think, but it will be interesting to see where the winds of change will take us this time.
        Yes, that'll be intriguing - especially as Jeremy Summerly usually has interesting and intelligent things to say. For myself, among the "old-fashioned" ones, I still find Münchinger's Decca set pretty impressive in its way - it's one of the best things he did (at least I tend to think so). But among historically-informed versions, there's a huge choice these days. Mine wouldn't be for JEG, to be honest, but I do often return to Harnoncourt's first recording (not so keen on his later efforts). McCreesh is fascinating, and I very much like Herreweghe's approach in his Harmonia Mundi set even if the soloists are more of an acquired taste.

Oh - and I'd never want to be without Mengelberg either - an incredibly moving performance - however anachronistic it may be.
        Last edited by makropulos; 30-03-12, 18:45. Reason: needed to add a bit

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Munchinger's version received rave reviews on its first release, partly becasue of the vividness of recorded sound. However, listening on headphones in the opening chorus shows just how artificial the recording setup was - cold-nose stereo reminiscent of Decca Phase 4.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I wish I had got hold of the first Harnoncourt version when issued on CD...it is now difficult to find or too expensive. I hope Warner will re-issue it again soon. The DHM Leonhardt version is good - if you don't mind the singing of René Jacobs.

Comment

• ostuni
              • Nov 2010

I still vividly remember when Harnoncourt 1 came out, and was broadcast on R3 (70/71?). I recorded it, listened to it over & over again - it converted me into an out & out HIPster...

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                I still vividly remember when Harnoncourt 1 came out, and was broadcast on R3 (70/71?). I recorded it, listened to it over & over again - it converted me into an out & out HIPster...
                Well said, ostuni - I heard it just as I went up to university (1973) and it had exactly same effect on me.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                  It had that effect on me, but it didn't last. I still have the LPs.
                  Rilling's is a good compromise version.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                    • Nov 2010

The only version I have played recently is the Klemperer one: illuminating as always, but probably not the one to have if you only want one. I also have the Munchinger version and two others not on the list and presumably not currently available:

Bernstein and the NYPO
                    Gonnenwein and the Consortium Musicum

Not sure I'm up to the challenge of doing comparisons, four versions of this work one after the other is an awful lot of Bach. My recollection, though, is that the Munchinger version is very fine, and there's a great line up of soloists: Pears, Prey, Ameling, Hoffgen, Wunderlich, Krause, Blankenberg. Never otherwise heard of Blankenberg, but the rest were top stuff in their day.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I am rather fond of the JEG as I am of many early authentic recordings. Then again I realise that apart from that i don't have any other recordings of the piece - whilst I seem to have plenty of the B Minor Mass

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I realise that apart from that i don't have any other recordings of the piece - whilst I seem to have plenty of the B Minor Mass
                        Same here, Barbs. To my surprise I only have one SMP (as opposed to SM-P, you understand - as I'm sure she'll be only-to-ready to confirm!): the Cleobury, which I picked up in Leeds HMV store back in the days when they had 1) A "Classical" section; 2) CDs. Very good it is, too (and only a fiver); but I was sure I also had the McCreesh! Perhaps that's another Thread?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• John Skelton

I have Kuijken's ovpp recording (La Petite Bande) which works for me (much more convincingly than McCreesh's, which I parted company with: I got no sense of the singers as an ensemble). Also Leonhardt & Brüggen's recordings.

(There's a new Kuijken ovpp Johannes-Passion out next month).

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                            I have Kuijken's ovpp recording (La Petite Bande) which works for me (much more convincingly than McCreesh's, which I parted company with: I got no sense of the singers as an ensemble). Also Leonhardt & Brüggen's recordings.

(There's a new Kuijken ovpp Johannes-Passion out next month).
                            Thanks for the information about that - I've never heard Kuijken's (first) recording and clearly must do so. And I'm very eager to try his new one.

Comment

• JFLL
                              • Jan 2011

I see that Gardiner is reported in yesterday's Times as saying:

'On Easter Monday next year we're going to do a Bach Marathon at the Albert Hall. Radio 3 will broadcast every note, and Raymond Gubbay is involved in promoting it. It will start at ten in the morning with me conducting the St John Passion, and end late at night with me conducting the B Minor Mass. In between there will be all sorts of things: the Goldberg Variations, concertos, organ music. I think it will be a wonderful celebration.'

Oh no, I hear voices wailing, not another R3 'celebration'! But just a day of Bach with JEG & co. will be tolerable, nay enyoyable, as far as I'm concerned, as long as there's not too much witter. The 'story' in the Times was about how private funding will enable JEG and the Monteverdi Choir to record Bach's Ascension cantatas to fill the hole in his SDG/DG Bach Cantata Pilgrimage series. Apparently they were performed in Salisbury Cathedral in 2000 as part of the pilgrimage, but some cleric refused them permission to record. Good news for me, as I've got the rest of the set. The Ascension Day concert will be at St Giles Cripplegate in London on 10 May (info at www.monteverdi.co.uk)

Comment

Working...
                              X