• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... sigh. Oh dear, still some work to do with the not-quite-Calibrated, I see.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

... sigh. Oh dear, still some work to do with the not-quite-Calibrated, I see.
      And yet...

The Norrington (Stuttgart) was indeed lovely

Comment

• Anna

I missed this BAL, will have to catch on iplayer. Is the Krips with 39 you are referring to this one?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I missed this BAL, will have to catch on iplayer. Is the Krips with 39 you are referring to this one?
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonies-3...4502025&sr=1-4

Yes Anna, that's the very one I have I assume it's simply been re-badged with DECCA and included, as is, in the box vinsanto's bought.

If you can pick up that disc for £3 something used, I would earnestly recommend it!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            [the box vinsanto's bought.

]
            the 6 CD box of Krips Mozart symphonies 21-41 (labelled by amazon "symphonies 31-41")
            - this I purchased from amazon last week for £19.99; sadly, they now price it at £32-76

Comment

• Anna

Yes Anna, that's the very one I have If you can pick up that disc for £3 something used, I would earnestly recommend it!
              No sooner said than done, with postage total is a smidge under a fiver, thanks for recommendation

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

No sooner said than done, with postage total is a smidge under a fiver, thanks for recommendation
                Ooo! Do tell all when you've listened! (When you hear the opening of No 39, think of your devoted old Caliban... )

Comment

• Anna

Ooo! Do tell all when you've listened! (When you hear the opening of No 39, think of your devoted old Caliban... )
                  Devoted? You? Old? I shall have to take Counsel's opinion on that You'll be inviting me to meet the Aged Parent next! I will report back.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Devoted? You? Old? I shall have to take Counsel's opinion on that You'll be inviting me to meet the Aged Parent next! I will report back.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

[QUOTE All these documents and others are collected in Neal Zaslaw's excellent book Mozart's Symphonies: Context, Performance Practice, Reception, OUP, 1989. Truly a magnificent and highly readable work of Musical scholarship.[/QUOTE]

Zaslaw also provided all the marvellous, extensive notes in each of Hogwood's boxes in his Mozart cycle. Were they all retained for the new budget box reissue, I wonder? It would be sad if not.

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Many many thanks, Ferneyhoughgeliebte, for your detailed and informative response to my question.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          Many many thanks, Ferneyhoughgeliebte, for your detailed and informative response to my question.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Pabmusic Post no 94

Thank you for your interesting and informative response to my question about pulse.

The Grove search also takes one to this sentence in the article (by Noel Goodwin) on Eugen Jochum: 'His notably spacious, romantic approach to Bruckner, with liberal tempo variations within movements, was tempered by a keen feeling for underlying pulse.' This is the kind of usage I've previously come across and I take it refers to a broader concept of, say, a whole movement in Bruckner, not dissimilar to references (in posts following yours) to Sibelius. Should I infer that there can be a single underlying pulse to, say, the whole of the slow movement of Bruckner 8?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Not sure i liked the Norrington all that much . The Boult is a recording of which I am very fond and it sounded very well in comparison. It is a mark of the magificence of the Pastoral with which it is coupled that it sounds a bit of an anticlimax on the CD .I must listen to it on its own .

I still like Mackerras and the early Klemperer .

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                                All these documents and others are collected in Neal Zaslaw's excellent book Mozart's Symphonies: Context, Performance Practice, Reception, OUP, 1989. Truly a magnificent and highly readable work of Musical scholarship.
                                Zaslaw also provided all the marvellous, extensive notes in each of Hogwood's boxes in his Mozart cycle. Were they all retained for the new budget box reissue, I wonder? It would be sad if not.
                                Tell me more about this "new budget box reissue". The most recent I can seem to find via Google, etc. is the 1997 issue. That has/had 22 pages of notes by Zaslaw, plus a concordance, etc.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 15-04-12, 21:55. Reason: Quotes adjusted.

Comment

Working...
                                X