Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 21.04.12 - Prokofiev's Symphony no. 5

9.30 Building a Library: Geoffrey Norris with a personal recommendation from recordings of Prokofiev's Symphony no. 5.

Available versions:

São Paulo Symphony Orchestra, Marin Alsop
    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ansermet
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Ashkenazy
    Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Philharmonia Orchestra, Rudolf Barshai
    New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein
    Münchner Philharmoniker, Sergiu Celibidache
    Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma della RAI, Sergiu Celibidache
    State Academic Symphony Orchestra of the USSR, Mark Ermler
    London Symphony Orchestra, Valery Gergiev
    Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, Stephen Gunzenhauser
    Orchestre National de Paris, Jascha Horenstein
    Paris Philharmonic Orchestra, Jascha Horenstein
    Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra, Mariss Jansons
    Cincinnati Symphony, Paavo Jarvi
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi
    Russian National Orchestra, Vladimir Jurowski
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan
    Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra, Theodore Kuchar
    Boston Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf
    Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Yoel Levi
    Orchestre de Ia Société des Concerts du Conservatoire, Jean Martinon
    National Orchestra of the ORTF, Jean Martinon
    New York Philharmonic, Kurt Masur
    Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Dimitri Mitropoulos
    Wiener Philharmoniker, Dimitri Mitropoulos
    Berlin Philharmonic, Seiji Ozawa
    London Symphony Orchestra, Andre Previn
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Simon Rattle
    Orchestre National de France, Mstislav Rostropovich
    Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra, Gennadi Rozhdestvensky
    Moscow State Symphony Orchestra, Gennady Rozhdestvensky
    Novosibirsk Academic Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Sanderling
    London Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Schippers
    Vienna Symphony Orchestra, George Szell
    St Petersburg Philharmonic, Yuri Temirkanov
    Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Klaus Tennstedt
    National Youth Orchestra, Yan Pascal Tortelier
    London Symphony Orchestra, Walter Weller

Nikita Mndoyants (piano)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 16:04. Reason: addition

EA, these lists usually turn up something interesting and sent me to scan the shelves. I have several of those listed and in addition, on vinyl and presumably not currently available:

Philadelphia O., Ormandy (on mono in American Columbia and stereo on UK Philips)
    Cleveland O., Maazel on Decca
    Moscow Radio S. O., Rozhdestvensky (on Russian Melodiya, reissued in the UK by HMV in their Melodiya series)
    LSO, Previn on HMV

Two questions.

1. My LP says Weller conducts the LSO, not the LPO. Are you sure it was the LPO? Or maybe he recorded it twice? My copy was issued in 1977.

2. Do you (or does anyone) know if there was a tie-up between American Columbia and UK Philips? It must be the same recording issued on two different labels, the sleeve notes are almost identical with just a few words changed, presumbably to reflect the division of our two nations by a common language.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      Two questions.

1. My LP says Weller conducts the LSO, not the LPO. Are you sure it was the LPO? Or maybe he recorded it twice? My copy was issued in 1977.
      You are quite right. I'll amend the list.

2. Do you (or does anyone) know if there was a tie-up between American Columbia and UK Philips? It must be the same recording issued on two different labels, the sleeve notes are almost identical with just a few words changed, presumbably to reflect the division of our two nations by a common language.
      There was such a tie-up in the 1960s. Many CBS recordings were available on Philips at that time

Comment

Also available from ArchivMusic are Boston SO/Koussevitsky, Cologne Gürzenich Orch/Kitayenko, Minneapolis SO/Dorati, Chicago SO/Levine, Phila delphia/Muti, RSO Rome/Rodzinski, and St Louis SO/Slatkin. Americans seem to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          Also available from ArchivMusic are Boston SO/Koussevitsky, Cologne Gürzenich Orch/Kitayenko, Minneapolis SO/Dorati, Chicago SO/Levine, Phila delphia/Muti, RSO Rome/Rodzinski, and St Louis SO/Slatkin. Americans seem to like it.
          As is the hitherto unmentioned Cleveland/Szell, one of my favourite versions.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            As is the hitherto unmentioned Cleveland/Szell, one of my favourite versions.
            Me too!

Have you ever noticed the telephone going off in the scherzo?!

For me, this symphony has the greatest ending of any work I know. (Certainly the most exciting).

Comment

Koussevitsky , Karajan and the live Rozhdestvensky are enough for me .

Comment

Rattle is magnificent - get the original CD issue (great sound & artwork) if you can; then Szell and Ansermet. Karajan too, but it's not quite the go-to reference it once was - the sound is a little synthetic, not as fresh, acoustically, as those others.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Rattle is magnificent - get the original CD issue (great sound & artwork) if you can; then Szell and Ansermet. Karajan too, but it's not quite the go-to reference it once was - the sound is a little synthetic, not as fresh, acoustically, as those others.
                  I'll take your word for it re. the Rattle. Just ordered a used 'good condition' copy of the 1993 issue from the amazon.co.uk marketplace. I note that the sole customer review for one of the reissue versions relegates the recording to the 1 star zone, "Those with hearing disability would accept this EMI recording".

Comment

Dont be so condisending about people's disabilites Bryn!!!

Looks like this will be rather a good BaL.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I have Karajan/BPO and Mravinsky/LeningradPO (not currently available?): two contrasted views of the work that together give a magnificent overview of this great work. I shall enjoy listening to hear if there are any others that I might be tempted by. (Going by recent BaLs, probably the ones dismissed after a single extract!)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I'll take your word for it re. the Rattle. Just ordered a used 'good condition' copy of the 1993 issue from the amazon.co.uk marketplace. I note that the sole customer review for one of the reissue versions relegates the recording to the 1 star zone, "Those with hearing disability would accept this EMI recording".
                        That re-issue is the same mastering as the original disc but in different packaging.

Comment

There used to be a Horenstein Prokofiev 5 on the Vox label with the Concerts Colonne Orchestra. I always thought this was a pseudonymic orchestra but a quick check on Wiki says it still exists with Laurent Petitgirard as conductor. It was my introduction to this great symphony.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this one. I have Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. To date it is all I've found I need. I am not so knowledgeable on Prokofiev symphonies. So am looking forward to the BAL next Saturday.

John

Comment

I think I am correct in saying that Geoffrey Norris did a BaL on Prokofiev 5 in something like 1979 when his chosen recommendation was LSO/Weller.

On my shelves I can see Weller, Karajan, Rattle and Ashkenazy in an under-rated version with the Concertgebouw which sounds superb.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X