No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 29.09.12 Janacek's 2 string quartets

09:30 Building a Library

Ivan Hewett with a personal recommendation of recordings of Janacek's 2 string quartets

Available recordings of the two quartets:-
    Alban Berg Quartett
    Dante Quartet
    Hagen Quartet
    Janáček Quartet
    Leipzig String Quartet
    Mandelring Quartet
    Martinu Quartet
    Medici String Quartet
    New Helsinki Quartet
    Orpheus Quartet
    Panocha Quartet
    Pavel Haas Quartet
    Quatuor Diotima
    Raphael Quartet
    Schoenberg Quartet
    Skampa Quartet
    Vlach Quartet Prague

No 1 only:-

Australian Chamber Orchestra, Richard Tognetti (arr. for string orchestra
    Casal Quartet
    Henschel Quartett
    Janáček Chamber Orchestra (arr. for string orchestra)
    Schulhoff Quartet
    Smetana Quartet
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 16:03.

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    09:30 Building a Library

Ivan Hewett with a personal recommendation of recordings of Janacek's 2 string quartets
    I really enjoy both of these quartets. I have no 1 on an old Heliador LP, played by the Janacek Quartet and the other on an old cassette. I must record the programme

The cassette is of the Takacs Quartet.
    Last edited by salymap; 22-09-12, 11:49.

Comment

Excellent. Peter Paul Nash's choice on 15th January 2000 was the Panocha Quartet (SUPRAPHON SU 0215-2) recorded in 1995.

Have the Ebène Quartet recorded them?
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Visiting Prague a few years ago, CDs were so cheap that I treated myself to a suitcase-full (plus a new suitcase), which included half a dozen versions of Janacek's SQs (incl. the excellent Panocha, mentioned above). It's such powerful stuff that I don't think I've yet heard a performance, recorded or live, which has failed to impress. Much looking forward to this BaL.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
          It's such powerful stuff that I don't think I've yet heard a performance, recorded or live, which has failed to impress.

Much looking forward to this BaL.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I completely agree with the wave of enthusiasm for these pieces - they are true wonders of the quartet repertoire - but I would urge anyone who has not yet heard them 'live' to do so as a matter of urgency. I've always come away from a concert performance totally shaken by what I've heard. Great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I completely agree with the wave of enthusiasm for these pieces - they are true wonders of the quartet repertoire - but I would urge anyone who has not yet heard them 'live' to do so as a matter of urgency. I've always come away from a concert performance totally shaken by what I've heard. Great stuff

... and welcome back, ammy: hope the holiday was utterly enjoyable!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Update: I've added a list of available recordings in #1.

Comment

Do any, besides the Quatuor Diotima, use the new Barenreiter urtext score, or include a reconstruction of the version of number 2 with a viola d'amore part?

Oh, and regarding the Smetena Quartet, there is this:

for Number 2.

Comment

Thanks again for your complete listing Alpen - that is always so useful. Don't know how you can do it so quickly!

Yes - two excellent SQs; I only have the New Helsinki which I enjoy immensely
                    Last edited by visualnickmos; 23-09-12, 12:42.

Comment

That answers my question about the Ebènes. It's a surprisingly small list. No Pavel Haas either?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I am somewhat surprised to find the Talich Quartet's recording currently out of the catalogue.

Comment

... Many thanks for this.

I don't know whether the Gabrieli qtt is still available - their 1977 recording of both quartets was included in the decca 5 CD box of Janáček chamber music & orchestral works.

Comment

There may be other versions in the large, multiple CD boxes.

Comment

Ref #1

The Smetana Quartet have recorded the Second Quartet, available on Testament SBT1075.

In addition, their other recording of both quartets, from 1955, on Supraphon, is available on a CD or download from Pristine (PACM046).

Comment

Working...
                              X