Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An excellent overview of this piece today. I felt sure ol' Throppers had called it with Queyras/Tharaud but, alas, no. Not sure why he couldn't recommend a period performance and pick a first choice out of the three modern performances he preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      I had for years the Shafran recording, which I loved, but it seems to have gone the way of some old vinyl.

Now I have nothing at all - so roll on Saturday.

I'm secretly hoping that one of the arpeggione recordings does well.
      Here's the first movement of a 'live' Shafran performance verismissimo. But beware - the film and the sound are out of synch

Moscow, live concerto, Gran Hall of the Conservatory 1975, Anton Ginzburg piano

This may be the recording that you used to own?

Comment

Indeed, Thropp,!i rather liked Mischa Maisky and Martha Argerich.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Right! I could see myself happily settling down with about four of them (as opposed to the zero I have in my possession at present!)

Comment

I missed the programme. What was the verdict?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I missed the programme. What was the verdict?
              Wispelwey/Giacometti: http://www.onyxclassics.com/cddetail...umber=ONYX4046 was first choice, though he did like (but not nominate) three modern recordings, include Queyras/Tharaud.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

That was the version that grabbed me most too, to my surprise because even though I love Argerich, I've always steered clear of the flamboyant-looking Mr Maisky. I suppose there's a reason St. Martha is happy to accompany him. The Wispelwey was very good as well.

The playing by Queyras and Tharaud was very good, I thought, but it seemed to me yet another case of top French musicians being let down by their recording engineers (or perhaps their own technical recording preferences) - like the recent-ish complete Fauré chamber music box from Virgin, I found the boxy, reverberant recording a real let-down - makes it a non-starter for me.

Always a treat to hear Mr Philip presenting, and there were some interesting insights into a piece I don't know well - including hearing the shortcomings of the only version I possess, the Rostro-Britten recording. Likewise the wincing intonation of the Bylsma version)
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    Wispelwey/Giacometti: http://www.onyxclassics.com/cddetail...umber=ONYX4046 was first choice, though he did like (but not nominate) three modern recordings, include Queyras/Tharaud.
                    Thropp and Eine Alpensinfonie
                    I think you'll find its the Channel classics disc, Channel - CCS9696. not the Onyx disc

Comment

I rather liked Marc Coppey & Peter Laul - Aeon AECD1095
                      Last edited by soileduk; 06-10-12, 17:33. Reason: Typing error

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                        Thropp and Eine Alpensinfonie
                        I think you'll find its the Channel classics disc, Channel - CCS9696. not the Onyx disc
                        Interesting - there seem to be two discs with the same performers but with different couplings. Does anyone know if the recording of the 'Arpeggione' is the same on both discs?

EDIT - I see on the sleeve notes to the Onyx flagged up in #21 above Peter W refers to 'the opportunity of playing with Paolo G and with the same fortepiano as on their earlier recording of thirteen years previously' - so it wd seem two totally different performances.

This was not made clear at all on BAL - I cannot now remember whether it was the reviewer or the presenter who came next who referred to the couplings or the record company (I think they said coupled with the 'violin' sonatinas - wh wd mean the Channel Classics - but I also seem to remember they said it was on Onyx, the other one.)

The Onyx is the more recent (2009 I think) - wd that have been more likely to have been the one available for review than the 1996 Channel Classics??

EDIT EDIT - have listened again - Andrew McGregor did specify the Channel Classics, with the sonatinas coupling. The couplings on the Onyx look more tempting...
                        Last edited by vinteuil; 06-10-12, 18:37.

Comment

With Andrew McGregor. Including Building a Library: Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, soileduk and vinteuil!

Comment

I understood where the reviewer was coming from but I think he simply seemed to fail to get the emotional depths of the Rostropovich /Britten.

Comment

Thats another recording be worth having Barbirollians.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X