Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
    I know the Wit has many fans, but I, too, find it lacks momentum in a few vital places - most notably, after the big climax in Auf dem Gipfel (just before fig 82 in the score).
    Yes, giving a prematurely worn-out feeling. Poor brass payers!

But I mustn't be too critical. What a work!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I have the glorious technicolor Haitink and the delightful Kempe - enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        You have not bothered looking on amazon.co.uk then? It's there in four different guises including download and SACD.
        You're right: I hadn't! (Not so much "not bothered" as "didn't have the good sense"!) I hadn't realized that FS had featured on so many recordings - I might give the Shos #10 a go, too.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Incidentally, Alpie; did you get the col legno CD? Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Incidentally, Alpie; did you get the col legno CD? Any thoughts?
            Yes, thank you. It's a live recording, but none the worse for that. Fairly brisk without sounding rushed. But really bizarre programme notes with a conversation between Mountain Man and Walking Woman. Someone trying to be "arty", I suspect.

I received the Sao Paulo/Shipway recording testerday. It's actually rather good, and the recording quality is quite superb. I only wish I had access to the SACD layer.

Comment

Comment

Still trying to track down 2 recordings that probably don't exist, but are listed on Wikipedia' These are Marin Alsop and the Baltimore SO, and Choo Hoey and the Singapore SO. Can anyone advise?

I'm awaiting the 50 CD box of Liege PO recordings in order to buy the Bartholomee Alpine Symphony. As it's the only audio only version I don't have, I decided to take the plunge and perhaps be educated by some of the works I may not have heard on the other 49 discs.

Comment

Ignore the previous message. Amazon kept me waiting for weeks before telling me they couldn't locate the Liege box set. So I ordered the Thielemann, Sinopoli and Karajan DVDs instead and I was delighted to find how good HvK sounded when released from DG' sound (ie the "recommended version which I don't like). This Sony BMG release is so much better.

Comment

EA

If you are still interested in the bumper Liege box, try Amazon France where it is (or maybe was) available at a reasonable-ish price

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      EA

If you are still interested in the bumper Liege box, try Amazon France where it is (or maybe was) available at a reasonable-ish price
                      Thanks. I'll investigate.

Comment

Anyone not working tomorrow has an afternoon treat with Bernard Haitink conducting Eine Alpensinfonie,
                        ascent time 3.15.

We should be in for something special if, as so often, his old orchestra brings out the best in the dutch conductor.
                        Last edited by Alison; 04-11-12, 19:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Anyone not working tomorrow has an afternoon treat with Bernard Haitink conducting Eine Alpensinfonie,
                          ascent time 3.15.

We should be in for a treat if, as so often, his old orchestra brings out the best in the dutch conductor.
                          Thanks for the reminder, Alison. I'll be working but recorder will be on. Presumably this is the performance given in the Concertgebouw from last Christmas Day.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that event. Could be more even more special then, plenty of
                            splendid performances in the formbook on that date from years past.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Oh yes, I had forgotten about that event. Could be more even more special then, plenty of
                              splendid performances in the formbook on that date from years past.
                              It can also be seen here: http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1119429
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Wow, what a surprise for a chilly Sunday evening !

Surpassingly beautiful playing in the songs ....

Thanks Pet !

Comment

Working...
                                X