• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Hmm. I hope you're laughing at the second sentence and not the first.
    Of course he was, Bollie.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I am still captivated by the Haitink performance on Newton Classics . It has such shape for what can be a sprawling piece .

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I am still captivated by the Haitink performance on Newton Classics . It has such shape for what can be a sprawling piece .
        Truly vintage Concertgebouw playing too.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
          Strauss has been pulling me into his orbit recently. I was curious about the Alpine Symphony and plumped for this live recording:

Orchestra of the Tyrolean Festival/Gustav Kuhn on Col Legno.

Not having the stamina to trawl through this thread (it's been a long week), I hope the members won't mind if I ask them if they know this release. Sonnenuntergang, Ausklang and Nacht seem magical to me, especially in the context of a live recording; the ensuing applause sounds heartfelt.

By the way, my discovery of this wonderful Strauss work is largely due to Eine Alpensinfonie's presence on these boards. I think myself lucky he didn't call himself "Bolero".

He is also lucky that he didn't name himself after any compositions by Eric Satie. "There Pieces In The Shape Of A Pear" would be such a pain to type.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

From time to time, I skim through various online lists of recordings in the vain hope that someone has re-released long deleted recordings such as the very first Bohm, the Singapore SO/choo Hoey and the Baltimore SO/Alsop.

The frustration is not their lack of availablity - with such a rich array of other recordings available, whover would complain?

It's the mentaiity of Amazon, who sell their downloads of the work in separate tracks, randomly mixed up with other dowloaded mixed up recordings. It's quite ridiculous, as no sane person is ever going to buy a single track of this work. It merely snarls up the list. Fortunately the CD versions are listed near the beginning.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

From time to time, I skim through various online lists of recordings in the vain hope that someone has re-released long deleted recordings such as the very first Bohm, the Singapore SO/choo Hoey and the Baltimore SO/Alsop.

The frustration is not their lack of availablity - with such a rich array of other recordings available, whover would complain?

It's the mentaiity of Amazon, who sell their downloads of the work in separate tracks, randomly mixed up with other dowloaded mixed up recordings. It's quite ridiculous, as no sane person is ever going to buy a single track of this work. It merely snarls up the list. Fortunately the CD versions are listed near the beginning.
              EA if you scroll up the page and click the department link to classical music - MP3s disappear leaving only tangible formats.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Thanks. I'll try that.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

The complete collection.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

This is truly impressive! I see you have the 'impossible to find' Ozawa included.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

[SIZE=5]The complete collection.
                      ... some of us, whose spouses deem them to have just the teensiest bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder, wd have been a little bit shy of being so self-revealing

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

A (mountain) range of Alpensinfonies.
                        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          This is truly impressive! I see you have the 'impossible to find' Ozawa included.
                          Just in case you are tempted to go for this, it's available at a much cheaper price in a 38 CD box of Ozawa performnaces. (You'd think they'd let you off the £1.26.)

Incidentally I don't rate this performance particularly highly. If it were the only one, maybe, but there are so many good ones to choose from.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Marvellous. Not what Strauss had in mind but several of them go for the view of the Matterhorn from Zermatt for the cover - as does EA for his avatar - such a beautiful mountain, it's not hard to see how it has exercised such a hold on the imaginations of a century of mountaineers - the churchyard in Zermatt full of the graves of twenty-something Englishmen who perished in the attempt. I've walked, er, past it, on the last stage of our Tour of Monte Rosa.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Marvellous. Not what Strauss had in mind but several of them go for the view of the Matterhorn from Zermatt for the cover - as does EA for his avatar - such a beautiful mountain, it's not hard to see how it has exercised such a hold on the imaginations of a century of mountaineers ....
                              It's an even better Avatar than you probably think, Richard.
                              It's the sleeve of an LP of the Alpensinfonie, performed by the Royal Philharmonic/Kempe on RCA LSC2923

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

That's the one, seen at the top of post 263.

Comment

Working...
                                X