Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Great review, EA. I appear to have most of those in your pictured collection but of those on your shortlist I am missing Schuricht, Barenboim and Shipway. Personally, I'd have included VPO/Previn on the shortlist otherwise agree with Thielemann and Stein being there. I know you don't like Karajan's recording but one listen to the horns at 'On the Summit' (the Bruch Violin Concerto theme) is enough to convince me of the reason why this has been chosen as the 'winner' twice on BaL.

I'm intrigued enough by Schuricht and Barenboim to want to investigate. Incidentally, if forced to save one from the flames I'd also choose RPO/Kempe. Kempe was himself an oboist (in the Leipzig Gewandhaus) so little wonder he was 'extremely fussy about his oboists'.
    A few observations on your interesting post:

Schuricht is of course mono only, but has a more transparent sound than many later recordings.
    Barenboim's performance seems to me to be what a Furtwangler recording might have sounded like. Similarly, Shipway is very much in the Barbirolli mode.
    Believe me, I have tried with Karajan, and I do like his interpretation - and his nla DVD filmed in 1983 seems to be the solution, better balanced and with more transparent sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I MUST get to that performance.

Thank you so much for the info.
      Duly booked. I am in your debt.

Comment

Lorin Maazel is conducting the Philharmonia in Zarathustra and the Alpensinfonie in Basingstoke on March 14 and the RFH on March 20.

Browse Philharmonia online concerts and live events in London, across the UK and internationally
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Lorin Maazel is conducting the Philharmonia in Zarathustra and the Alpensinfonie in Basingstoke on March 14 and the RFH on March 20.

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/concerts/date/2014/03
          With all these performances I could face bankruptcy in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
            Blimey, I've just taken a punt on the RPO Kempe, I think....Testament SBT1428 perchance? .Supposed to be a very good recording from any era.
            If anyone is interested £10.99 including delivery direct from Testament. River people wanted £15».
            A big thank you, Soileduk, for this tip. I have just acquired this direct from Testament as you suggest. It is, indeed, superb, although I would take issue with EA's comment, in his otherwise terrific review, that 'the tam-tam crash is spectacular'. It is only just audible in the mix - indeed, I would have missed it if I didn't know it was there and expecting it! Thieleman is the one to deserve the word 'spectacular'.

Comment

I've just been reading about the forthcoming Hallé/BBC Phil performance on Thursday 23rd.

I wish I could be there!!!
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                I've just been reading about the forthcoming Hallé/BBC Phil performance on Thursday 23rd.

I wish I could be there!!!
                Will be on Radio 3 .

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Kempe ... with RPO conducting Ein Heldenleben.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Fantastic! Only just noticed this link!

Terrific stuff. A couple of comments have just gone up:

What a magnificent performance. Who is the solo horn? Is that Tuckwell?

Indeed a wonderful performance but quite different from Strauss, himself. In fact this version is a good 6 minutes slower than the Strauss performance on You Tube.

Carlos Kleiber's stunning live performance with the Wiener Philharmoniker is quite similar to that of Strauss and clocks in at about the same performance time.

I'd like to know the answer to the horn question; and how amazing that there's a recording of C Kleiber in Heldenleben that's never been released...!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUEHH1x0tXY
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
                    A big thank you, Soileduk, for this tip. I have just acquired this direct from Testament as you suggest. It is, indeed, superb, although I would take issue with EA's comment, in his otherwise terrific review, that 'the tam-tam crash is spectacular'. It is only just audible in the mix - indeed, I would have missed it if I didn't know it was there and expecting it! Thieleman is the one to deserve the word 'spectacular'.
                    Glad to be of service, not a genuine "cheap" bargain but a GENUINE bargain nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
                      ... although I would take issue with EA's comment, in his otherwise terrific review, that 'the tam-tam crash is spectacular'. It is only just audible in the mix - indeed, I would have missed it if I didn't know it was there and expecting it! Thieleman is the one to deserve the word 'spectacular'.
                      Perhaps the word "spectacular" is misleading, and I shall reword it. I was referring to the depth of the sound rather than its volume.

Comment

I'm in big, big trouble.

Frau A has asked me how many recordings I have of this work.
                        I said, "Quite a few".
                        "That isn't a proper answer."
                        "Over 50, I think."
                        "You'll never listen to all of them again."

At this point I began to panic. A bit of quick thinking may have saved the day.

"I'm trying to become the number one expert on this work, and I'm reviewing every recordings."

That was a mistake. She then asked:
                        "How many recordings are there?"

Quick thinking again -
                        "I think I've got all those currently available."
                        "Are there likely to be any more?"
                        "Probably a few. It's Strauss's 150th."

I'm not very popular at the moment, so I'm watching the Neeme Jarvi Hague DVD for the very first time.

Comment

Jarvi does rush it.

If you like a brisk performance, the Hague/Jarvi might be to your taste, but I put it in the Welser-Most category - almost.
                          Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-01-14, 19:03.

Comment

I'm not very popular at the moment, so I'm watching the Neeme Jarvi Hague DVD for the very first time.
                            Commiserations Alpie, you were caught off-guard, I can see that.

What instrument does the Foreign Secretary play for Maestro Jarvi, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Fantastic! Only just noticed this link!

Terrific stuff. A couple of comments have just gone up:

What a magnificent performance. Who is the solo horn? Is that Tuckwell?

Indeed a wonderful performance but quite different from Strauss, himself. In fact this version is a good 6 minutes slower than the Strauss performance on You Tube.

Carlos Kleiber's stunning live performance with the Wiener Philharmoniker is quite similar to that of Strauss and clocks in at about the same performance time.

I'd like to know the answer to the horn question; and how amazing that there's a recording of C Kleiber in Heldenleben that's never been released...!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUEHH1x0tXY
                              I missed this Caliban. I am not aware that Barry Tuckwell ever played for the RPO. At the time this was made I believe he was doing great things at the LSO. Could have been a young Geoff Bryant. It not sure otherwise, so not that helpful I fear. Tony or Hornspieler will surely know??

Comment

I'm in big, big trouble.

Frau A has asked me how many recordings I have of this work.
                                I said, "Quite a few".
                                "That isn't a proper answer."
                                "Over 50, I think."
                                "You'll never listen to all of them again."

At this point I began to panic. A bit of quick thinking may have saved the day.

"I'm trying to become the number one expert on this work, and I'm reviewing every recordings."

That was a mistake. She then asked:
                                "How many recordings are there?"

Quick thinking again -
                                "I think I've got all those currently available."
                                "Are there likely to be any more?"
                                "Probably a few. It's Strauss's 150th."

Tell the wife that if she will climb an Alpine Mountain with you you will part with 50% of the recordings, but that if she refuses, you will be forced to continue to enjoy the experience vicariously.

Comment

Working...
                                X