Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    I've just been reading about the forthcoming Hallé/BBC Phil performance on Thursday 23rd.

I wish I could be there!!!
    Week rearranged and ticket purchased!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Mind you I'll be Billy no-mates again...
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

That sensational Kempe Ein Heldenleben must date from 28/8/1974 as it is clearly a Prom ( ah I see it is from an ICA Classics DVD ). I cannot wait to hear the Kleiber .

This is a work that Kempe Dresden recording opened my ears to and I have not felt the need to get others apart from Barbirolli's - his tender and delightful BBC Legend performance which I think is better than his studio account ( good as that is ) .

This is looking like an essential buy though .

Comment

Saints above that You Tube led me to this - also on that DVD . The recorded sound is hissy and the audience a bit bronchial but what a performance of the New World Symphony absolutely edge of the seat thrilling - no wonder Kempe's death after an operation in Zurich in 1976 was such a body blow for the BBC SO .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqN8tMF2_jA

Comment

Agreed, a brilliant performance.

A 1975 prom apparently. Note the absolutely adequate and totally non-intrusive camera work...
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Agreed, a brilliant performance.

A 1975 prom apparently. Note the absolutely adequate and totally non-intrusive camera work...
              I remember watching that live on a boiling hot Friday evening. Wonderful Prom.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Also available on BBC Legends apparently the Dvorak 9 .

I remember the 1975 cricket World Cup Final just and that I recall being a very hot day in a hot summer .

Comment

Over time, I have been hunting down the last three recordings of the far from complete Wikipedia list of this work. I knew the Baltimore/Alsop recording had existed as there was a picture of the CD cover on the conductor's website along with sample tracks, which made it all the more frustrating. However I have found this
                  In 1913, Richard Strauss composed a musical hike into the Alps. Conductor Marin Alsop guides her audience, and her Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, up to the summit of Strauss' monumental "Alpine Symphony," and back down again.

and the whole performance is there. Quite a good one too, the sound being good in the first half, but with some excessive compression in the second half. But what the heck? It's free!

Just the Singapore/Choo Hoey and 1930s Bohm to find... If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Now a new version:
                    R. Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie. BR Klassik: 900124. Buy CD or download online. Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Franz Welser-Möst

Franz Welser-Möst's earlier recording of the work is among the most rushed. It does a fine conductor no credit. I hope he has slowed down a bit, though not to the extent of Maazel.

Comment

The new FW-M version arrived a few days ago. iMO it's a better performance than his earlier one, but the summit music is still taken at a hectic pace, which isn't to my taste.

Today I discover the possible existence of no fewer than three version pf the work I knew nothing about:

1. A 1995 performance by Svetlanov and the Het Residentue Orkest
                      2. A 1952 performance by Knappertsbusch and the VPO
                      3. A 2012 performance by Tanaka and the Waseda SO Tokyo

No 2 is one I would love to hear.

Comment

Just bought the LSOLIVE/Haitink recording!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

EA

Have you listened to

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That 1952 VPO/Kna performance is also available as Altus 074:

Obscurely Japanese but available, I would think, from HMV Japan??

Comment

HD, you are a wonder.

Comment

EA

Very happy to be of use. If radio recordings of concert performances are allowed to feature in your Alpensinfonie immersion, I much enjoyed this performance:

Comment

The Sao Paulo Shipway is indeed very fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X