Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if EA already knows about this one but, in trawling through the CD Japan website, this popped up:

Jakub Hrusa (conductor), Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra,R.Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie,CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

and, if you can countenance the idea of an arrangement for band (BBM might like this one),

Kanagawa University Symphonic Band,Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie Op.64,CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Not sure if EA already knows about this one but, in trawling through the CD Japan website, this popped up:

Jakub Hrusa (conductor), Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra,R.Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie,CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

and, if you can countenance the idea of an arrangement for band (BBM might like this one),

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CACG-219
      Many thanks, HD. I've ordered it (not the wind band versions)

Comment

The recording arrived from Japan this morning - and then I discovered a "new" Naxos download of another Japanese recording dating from 1966, so that's two new versions in one day.

Next one is the VPO/Knappertsbusch from HMV Japan. The Japanese are doing a grand job at present.
        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 12-10-14, 02:22.

Comment

I've been look through some old photographs of my school days. This is the edge of a photo taken in my sixth form study in 1968. Note the LP - bottom right.

Comment

There's a new Thielemann DVD/Blu-ray recording with the Staatskapelle Dresden. It will be interesting to compare this with same conductor's two VPO recordings.

Thielemann joins Karl Bohm and Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos in having now recorded the work commercially on three occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              There's a new Thielemann DVD/Blu-ray recording with the Staatskapelle Dresden. It will be interesting to compare this with same conductor's two VPO recordings.

Thielemann joins Karl Bohm and Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos in having now recorded the work commercially on three occasions.
              I wasn't aware that Karl Böhm had recorded it three times. I'm aware of the Dresden recording on DG and the one on the Audite label. What's the third?
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                I wasn't aware that Karl Böhm had recorded it three times. I'm aware of the Dresden recording on DG and the one on the Audite label. What's the third?
                This one is still being investigated. Wikipedia suggests a 1939 recording with the Berlin Radio SO, and there was some discussion earlier about this - still inconclusive, but pointing to the likelihood of being correct.

EDIT: No, it wasn't in this thread, but in a PM. I quote the non-personal info:

Sometimes, things are in front of our nose and we can't see them. I had downloaded a file including the Strauss recordings of DRA from their website in 2010 and had forgotten about it. The 1939 Boehm Alpensinfonie is included there. Orchester des Deutschlandsenders Berlin , 1939 , it says. RRG-Aufnahme. Duration : 48: 43 . There is a DRA reference number too : DRA 193 - 1535 . Mind you, sometimes there were mistakes in the DRA. Let's hope this isn't the case.

Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 27-01-15, 09:57.

Comment

Alpie: Poème Symphonique for 100-plus Alpensinfonies

Alpie, I have often wondered what on earth you do with your multitudinous recordings of EA. Even in retirement do you have enough time for them all?

However Ligeti has inspired me. May I suggest you place a CD player for each CD on a stage and play them simultaneously.

(But only do it once please... )
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    ... May I suggest you place a CD player for each CD on a stage and play them simultaneously. ...
                    Zinc/Carbon cell powered, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Alpie, I have often wondered what on earth you do with your multitudinous recordings of EA. Even in retirement do you have enough time for them all?
                      To be honest, there are many I've listened to only once. However, Thielemann's 3rd recording (and second Blu-ray) is just out - this time with the Dresden Staatskapelle.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        To be honest, there are many I've listened to only once. However, Thielemann's 3rd recording (and second Blu-ray) is just out - this time with the Dresden Staatskapelle.
                        Will you be getting this one as well??
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Will you be getting this one as well??
                          Is the Pope a Catholic?

(Don't answer that!)
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CACG-219
                            You knew I'd succumb in the end, didn't you HD? The good people at CD Japan took their time, but ensured I got a copy. I suspect there was just one run of pressings, and that supplies have almost run out.

I never thought I'd like a wind band arrangement, not because I'm a purist, but because despite being a lover of brass bands, I find concert bands rather screechy. (Sorry if I offend anybody.)

I was pleasantly surprised on hearing the Kanagawa University Symphonic Band's performance - live, with a few (mercifully) rather glaring errors. I haven't been able to find out who made the arrangement, but it would be difficult to do a better job. Only in the Ausklang/Epilogue did I feel let down. The first part of this section is for wind instruments only, and the string entry that follows is surely one of the most magical moments in all music. But here it cannot happen, and it was a great regret.

Comment

My tongue was ever so slightly stuck in my cheek when I posted the details of that version but I'm glad that you did succumb (one can never have enough recordings of Eine Alpensinfonie, really). I'm supposed to be going to Japan in September, post-another trip to Hong Kong. As I can envisage a visit/visits to emporia flogging CDs, I shall look out for suitably obscure versions which might never have seen the light of day here.

Comment

Why, oh why, do I have to believe that if it says it on Wikipedia, it must be true? I'm still trying to track down a recording of this work by Choo Hoey and the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. Checking on CH's discography, there's no reference to it. And yet...

Comment

Working...
                                X