Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    To be honest, there are many I've listened to only once. However, Thielemann's 3rd recording (and second Blu-ray) is just out - this time with the Dresden Staatskapelle.
    Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

I assume you are meaning the Blu-ray featuring An Alpine Symphony with Christian Thielemann and the Staatskapelle Dresden with Anja Harteros singing the 4 Last Songs plus Malven with the wonderful Wolfgang Rihm's Ernster Gesang on C Major?

Comment

Strong views have been expressed about the Karajan recording on DG that won the BaL trophy. The recorded sound - balance and opaqueness - and some less than BPO-standard playing, make this a no-no for me, but this re-released DVD version is a different matter. In my opinion, this is a much stronger recommendation.

Comment

Strong views have been expressed about the Karajan recording on DG that won the BaL trophy. The recorded sound - balance and opaqueness - and some less than BPO-standard playing, make this a no-no for me, but this re-released DVD version is a different matter. In my opinion, this is a much stronger recommendation.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88697232229
        I bought the videotape (remember them?) when it came out and that was superb so looking forward to getting the DVD.

The sound on the CD issue in the Karajan 1980s box shows a marked improvement on the original CD issue and has clearly been re-mastered to its advantage. In my view it now sounds superb. I will be playing this CD for the centenary on Oct 28.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I bought the videotape (remember them?) when it came out and that was superb so looking forward to getting the DVD.

The sound on the CD issue in the Karajan 1980s box shows a marked improvement on the original CD issue and has clearly been re-mastered to its advantage. In my view it now sounds superb. I will be playing this CD for the centenary on Oct 28.
          I bought the first Karajan CD issue, which had very poor sound, though HvK and DF-D were both very enthusiastic about it. Following the BaL review in 2011, I bought a remastered version, but still found it quite oppressive. I wonder whether this new one is a third attempt to get it "right"?

Comment

In my opinion, this is a much stronger recommendation.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88697232229
            Have you actually managed to listen to any of it? I cannot see that they give an opportunity for a preview.

Mind you, what a price... Three DVDs for under twelve quid!
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Have you actually managed to listen to any of it? I cannot see that they give an opportunity for a preview.

Mind you, what a price... Three DVDs for under twelve quid!
              I've had an earlier release of it for some time.

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but yesterday was the centenary of the work's premiere.

Comment

I hope you dressed up for the occasion

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    I hope you dressed up for the occasion
                    You've given me an idea for a tie.

Comment

You've given me an idea for a tie.
                      Will it match the lederhosen ?

Comment

Yes indeed, as I mention on the 'What are You Listening to Now' thread last night. I mentally bookmarked the date years ago and celebrated by playing the BPO/Karajan recording. Didn't dress specially for the occasion though!
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          I mentally bookmarked the date years ago and celebrated by playing the BPO/Karajan recording.
                          I confess I didn't remember until the following day. But I don't think I'd have listened to that version (84th/86).

Comment

I've been asked to give a short talk on this work on Easter Monday, with sufficient time to play a 5 minute excerpt. I opted for the Ausklang, but couldn't decide upon which version, even after reading my own reviews of various recordings. Despite my serious reservations about the Karajan, I had to concede that his was one of the best "Ausklangs". In the end, the shortlist included Karajan, Ozawa, Barenboim, LAPO/Mehta, RPO/Kempe, Shipway and VPO/Previn. I would have settled for Previn, but the CD doesn't have separate tracks - only index points, effectively ruling this out for the talk.

So it's Ozawa. I never expected that!

Comment

Another recording recently released is by the Goteborgs Symfoniker, conducted by Kent Nagano, whose earlier DVD is rather fine, in spite of some antics by the camera team (like spinning the orchestra upside down during the thunderstorm). This one is also available on vinyl, which may appeal to some, but choosing that option seems a bit silly in view of the work being 50 minutes of continuous music.

Recently I acquired a download only recording of a 1966 live performance with the American Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leon Botstein. The sound is very clear, but it sounds very much like the CBS recordings of that period. The immediacy is achieved by reducing the dynamic range - the kind of sound Bose and Frau A like.

Comment

How did your Easter talk go, Alpie?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X