Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Almost certainly the performance given at last year's Proms on August 28. I was in the Arena for it and it's a cracking performance.
    Brilliant!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The second time the work has been a BBC MM cover disc, the first being BBC Welsh/Jansons.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The second time the work has been a BBC MM cover disc, the first being BBC Welsh/Jansons.
        - one of the very earliest issues, IIRC, in a "slimline" case?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I’ve got that first CD in the slim case, as ferney says.

I think I must have thrown the magazine, though.

What do you think of the performance and recording?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I’ve got that first CD in the slim case, as ferney says.

I think I must have thrown the magazine, though.

What do you think of the performance and recording?
            Snap! I throw the magazines out each year.
            Alpie's post #366 put it in the third tier!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Being in "Alpie's third tier" isn't terrible. It's just that in my humble judgement, more than half of the recordings are better. Now, the fourth tier - that's quite a different matter.

Comment

Who are we to argue, he’s heard a few in his time

Comment

Yes, the July 2017 BBC MM cover CD is indeed the 28 August 2016 Proms performance.
                  Just arrived in this morning's post!

Comment

Yes, the July 2017 BBC MM cover CD is indeed the 28 August 2016 Proms performance.
                    Just arrived in this morning's post!
                    This morning WH Smith were still flogging the previous months BBC Music Magazine on its shelves the one with Mark Elder on the front cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      This morning WH Smith were still flogging the previous months BBC Music Magazine on its shelves the one with Mark Elder on the front cover.
                      Subscriber copies usually arrive a few days before general release; not only that, they are cheaper (especially if you use Tesco Clubcard tokens!).

Comment

Subscriber copies usually arrive a few days before general release; not only that, they are cheaper (especially if you use Tesco Clubcard tokens!).
                        Even cheaper if a friend gift subscribes for you! I had a frustrating experience with the subscriber outfit that dealt with my friend's request but eventually all got sorted.

My copy has arrived too (seems early this month) and especially looking forward to playing this disc as I was in the arena that night.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Even cheaper if a friend gift subscribes for you! I had a frustrating experience with the subscriber outfit that dealt with my friend's request but eventually all got sorted.

My copy has arrived too (seems early this month) and especially looking forward to playing this disc as I was in the arena that night.
                          Let us know how it shapes up with your memories of the evening, Pet.
                          I wonder which tier Alpie will put it in.
                          Btw: hope he's OK; next week's BaL listing has not appeared yet.

Comment

Incidentally , I listened to the Shipway recording on BIS again the other day . It is outstanding in my opinion . Really a great shame that he died a couple of years ago in a car crash . It seemed a difficult man had mellowed in his old age and BIS in particular was prepared to give him opportunities .

His Mahler 5 that appeared on the Ring label with the RPO is also an exceptional recording.

Comment

I'm a bit hesitant to buy my 92nd version on this work, as it's on DVD/Blu-ray in a Box set that includes the complete Beethoven symphonies, performed by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra and Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos.

But needs must. . .

Comment

I'm a bit hesitant to buy my 92nd version on this work, as it's on DVD/Blu-ray in a Box set that includes the complete Beethoven symphonies, performed by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra and Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos.

But needs must. . .
                                Alpie: We're still waiting for your assessment of the BBC MM CD.

Comment

Working...
                                X