Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Alpie: We're still waiting for your assessment of the BBC MM CD.
    I only bought it yesterday, and it's still wrapped in cellophane.

I'm a bit nervous about expressing an opinion, now that I appear to have become viewed as an authority on performances of the work. Remember, I don't have a particularly high opinion of the Karajan, so perhaps I should be booed out of court.

Comment

Each to their own Alpie I didn't like the BaL choice of the Janacek, but others did!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Alpie: We're still waiting for your assessment of the BBC MM CD.
        Today I was driving home (from the tip) and switched on Radio 3. I was pleasantly surprised to hear most of a fine performance of Eine Alpensinfonie, but I was listening "blind". The more I listened, the more I thought "simply superb". It was only at the end that I discovered it was the performance featured on the BBC Music Magazine CD (STILL in its cellophane wrapper). I didn't hear the opening minutes, but most conductors do a fine job there. When I do listen to the CD, I suspect it will make its way into the top tier, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Today I was driving home (from the tip) and switched on Radio 3. I was pleasantly surprised to hear most of a fine performance of Eine Alpensinfonie, but I was listening "blind". The more I listened, the more I thought "simply superb". It was only at the end that I discovered it was the performance featured on the BBC Music Magazine CD (STILL in its cellophane wrapper). I didn't hear the opening minutes, but most conductors do a fine job there. When I do listen to the CD, I suspect it will make its way into the top tier, but we'll see.
          It'll be interesting to have your learned thoughts on second listening....

Comment

Perhaps one for Pedants's Paradise, but I noticed this in October's BBC Music Magazine:

R STRAUSS An Alpine Symphony
            Saito Kinen Orchestra/Daniel Harding

'I was blown away the first time I went to the Salzburg Festival. I had to sit right at the back and I had a view of an enormous orchestra. I was fascinated by all the unusual instruments in the Alpine Symphony, such as alphorns and cowbells.'

I suspect the writer, Dame Vivien Duffield, wasn't paying enough attention, and got her alphorn idea from Gerard Huffnung.

Comment

She ought to be Heckeled!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                She ought to be Heckeled!
                I see that Hugo Shirley has covered this in Gramphone very recently for their Collection feature . The Late Karajan won .

Comment

Is there an early Karajan?

Comment

Is there an early Karajan?
                    The "Sunrise" section?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

No idea EA- he recorded some other Richard Strauss more than once so I was covering my back in case there was a 1956 Decca or the like I had not heard of .

Did you read the article ? If so did his views tally with your own otherwise ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I didn't see it. Indeed, I wasn't aware of it. But it's unlikely we'd ever agree, as Karajan's CD recording is one I wouldn't recommend, because of some poor tuning, oppressive recording and an off-stage band that is much too close. His DVD version is much better. Maybe that's the "late" one.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I've managed to get hold of a copy at last. I was surprised at just how much I was in agreement with Hugo Shirley.
                          I have a much higher opinion of the Schuricht, but agree about the considerable merits of Knappertsbusch, the weakness of Konwitschny. Moving to the stereo era, he shares my admiration for RPO/Kempe & Conertgebouw/Haitink, and the dullness of Mehta and Andrew Davis. I think more highly than Mr Shirley of the Barenboim and Ozawa, but we agree on the three Thielemann recordings and São Paulo/Shipway. As for the top choice - Karajan - I still can't go along with a version so tastelessly balanced, but I seem to be in the minority.

Comment

I've managed to get hold of a copy at last. I was surprised at just how much I was in agreement with Hugo Shirley.
                            I have a much higher opinion of the Schuricht, but agree about the considerable merits of Knappertsbusch, the weakness of Konwitschny. Moving to the stereo era, he shares my admiration for RPO/Kempe & Conertgebouw/Haitink, and the dullness of Mehta and Andrew Davis. I think more highly than Mr Shirley of the Barenboim and Ozawa, but we agree on the three Thielemann recordings and São Paulo/Shipway. As for the top choice - Karajan - I still can't go along with a version so tastelessly balanced, but I seem to be in the minority.
                            For the same reason, may I join you in your minority?

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              For the same reason, may I join you in your minority?

Comment

I am impressed by this BBCMM recording with the BBcSO and Bychkov - very well played and a real sense of the adventure of the piece about it .

Comment

Working...
                                X