Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
    I prefer women's voices in most of the lieder and I was surprised how little I liked the clips of DF-D, they seemed to self conscious and mannered.

Mike
    I agree about the women's voices - whereas there are a number of CDs of female singers I would like to buy there are no male ones that immediately come to mind.

Comment

I heard some of the chosen CD (Jonas Kaufmann (tenor), Helmut Deutsch (piano) HARMONIA MUNDI HMC901879) on Monday morning & was rather taken - so much so that I'll probably buy it. I have some of them sung by women, & it will be interesting to have a male voice as an alternative.

Comment

[QUOTE=Karafan;232577]
        Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        When I googled for complete sets, up came DFD with Moore (which I won't be buying)/QUOTE]

... is there a good book of Richard Strauss lieder translations available? I seem to have drawn a blank on that one, unless his main output is covering in a more over-reaching title perhaps?

Thanks

Karafan
        Kara, the only place that I can imagine a complete set of Strauss texts/translations would be in DFD's LP box (which as you know I don't have).

A reasonably good selection is in The Book of Lieder by Richard Stokes (Faber, 2005). 48 of them (in a book of 700 pages). Indispensible!

Comment

[QUOTE=Karafan;232577]
          Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          When I googled for complete sets, up came DFD with Moore (which I won't be buying)/QUOTE]

A 3 CD set of FiDi and Moore is the only one I can see Verismissimo, and is exorbitant on the 2nd hand market (though I could swear that AMcG mentioned a SINGLE CD of FiDi in Strauss not having been available since the early 1990s but being re-issued next August...?) Anyone shed any light there?

Secondly, is there a good book of Richard Strauss lieder translations available? I seem to have drawn a blank on that one, unless his main output is covering in a more over-reaching title perhaps?

Thanks

Karafan
          Following my comments above, I also had a look around, but did not get very far. This 6 CD box with Moore would be candidate, also available elsewhere, but I'm not sure if I want 6 Cds of F-D doing Strauss, especially if it's a bit expensive.

I also don't know a book. My German is good enough not to need a translation and any texts I want to look up can usually be found here

Comment

Thanks Gurnemanz, I have ordered the Stokes book!
            "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
            X