Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 15.12.12 - Prokofiev's Piano Sonata No 8

9.05 Building a Library: David Fanning with a personal recommendation for Prokofiev's Piano Sonata No 8 in B flat major

Available versions:-

Dmitri Bashkirov
    Boris Berman
    Severin von Eckardstein
    Sergio Fiorentino
    Boris Giltburg
    Emil Gilels (Olympia)
    Bernd Glemser
    Steven De Groot
    Francois-Frederic Guy
    Ivo Janssen
    Yakov Kasman
    Alexander Korsantia
    Denis Kozhukhin
    Gesa Lucker
    Anne-Marie McDermott
    Oleg Marshev
    Alexeï Nabioulin
    Matti Raekallio
    Sviatoslav Richter DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 4778122 (9CD budget and download) Also available as a download on DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 4497442
    Sviatoslav Richter (5 other versions)
    Gyorgy Sandor
    Grigory Sokolov
    Amir Tebenikhin
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 15:38.

Richter on "Russia discc" or whatever that Russian series was called from the 90s......

Comment

This BaL could well end up like Davis v. Davis in Les Troyens.

Except that it will be Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        This BaL could well end up like Davis v. Davis in Les Troyens.

Except that it will be Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter v. Richter.
        He could be hard to get past, Eine.

Comment

He obviously rates the work extremely highly.

Comment

I seem to have two: Richter on DG from 1962, which I've never much warmed to, and Lazar Berman in a Brilliant box. It's from a live recording, presumably on Russian radio, and seems to me more alive in every way.

Comment

Don't forget that (according to the Schedule) this BaL starts at 9.05 a.m.

Comment

So DG Richter it is.

Comment

I had a canny feeeling it be that would happen, somehow. I will bve buying this!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    So DG Richter it is.
                    I have Richter (rec. 17 April 1961) on the Russian Revelation label no. RV 10094. Oddly, it doesn't give the recording location. A fine performance, for sure, as most of Richter's were. I think I'll just stick to one version of this piece; more would be good, but budget, budget, budget....! Besides which, I am more than happy with it.

Out of interest, does anyone know this recording and how does it compare with his (Richter's) other recordings of this piano masterpiece?

Comment

I have Yefim Bronfman in a 3 CD complete set on Sony's Essential Classics label - is that nla? Shame if so, as I like the set a lot - generally clear, alert, powerful but sensitive performances in pretty good recordings. Haven't listened to no.8 for a while, though, so can't comment on that particularly. I also have Richter (DG 1962, I gather that was the library choice) and Sokolov (a pianist I rate very highly indeed).

Comment

I caught up belatedly with this programme. I found it a revelation as the piece was one I didn't know at all. I thought it was a well-presented survey, some illuminating comparative extracts, and as with all the best BALs it revealed some qualities of an unknown work in a way which made me want to discover and hear more.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I caught up belatedly with this programme. I found it a revelation as the piece was one I didn't know at all. I thought it was a well-presented survey, some illuminating comparative extracts, and as with all the best BALs it revealed some qualities of an unknown work in a way which made me want to discover and hear more.
                          Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I also agree with M'Learned which is more than a bit scary......

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I also agree with M'Learned which is more than a bit scary......
                              Come come, when have we not been in perfect accord?
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X