Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 22.12.12 - Rossini's La Cenerentola

9.30 a.m. Richard Osborne's personal recommendation for Rossini's opera on the Cinderella story.

Available versions,

Orchestra e Coro del Teatro all Scala, Claudio Abbado
    Orchestra e Coro del Teatro all Scala, Claudio Abbado – DVD
    Scottish Opera Chorus, LSO, Claudio Abbado
    Scottish Opera Chorus, LSO, Claudio Abbado – DVD
    Metropolitan Opera Orchestra & Chorus, Maurizio Balo
    Houston Grand Opera, Bruno Campanella - DVD
    Chorus & Orchestra of Teatro Comunale di Bologna, Riccardo Chailly
    VPO, Vienna State Opera Chorus, Riccardo Chailly - DVD
    Chor Des Westdeutschenrundfunks, Gabriele Ferro
    Glyndebourne Festival Orchestra & Chorus, Vittoria Gui
    Teatro Carlo Felice, Renato Palumbo (conductor) - DVD
    LPO & Glyndebourne Chorus, Vladimir Jurowski – Blu ray/DVD
    Orchestra & Chorus Fondazione Petruzzelli, Bari, Evelino Pido - DVD
    Munchner Rundfunkorchester, Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Carlo Rizzi
    Royal Opera House Chorus & Orchestra, Carlo Rizzi
    Orchestra & Chorus of the Gran Teatre del Liceu, Patrick Summers DVD
    Prague Chamber Choir & SWR Radio Orchestra Kaiserslautern, Alberto Zedda
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 15:39.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'll be listening. I love Rossini's work, though Cenerentola isn't by any means my favourite of his operas. Good to see Richard Osborne in the judge's seat, too. It's unusual to have almost as many versions on DVD as on CD.

Comment

Baltsa, Araiza, Raimondi; ASMF/ Neville Marriner (Philips) is one to be added to EA's list.
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I love the the current Glyndebourne production, produced by Peter Hall (conducted on DVD by Jurowski). This is a wonderful and rather serious production of my favourite among Rossini's comic operas, in which the characters are real people rather than ciphers.

Comment

I would never have expected that many complete recordings of this Rossini being available. Really surprised - but it IS a lovely opera.

Comment

I have dug out the video I have of Houston Grand Opera under Bruno Campanella. It has Cecilia Bartoli as Cinders.

I've never seen it through - too stagy, I recall. But I'll give it another go.

If it had been sound only, I'd definitely not have had that problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                    Baltsa, Araiza, Raimondi; ASMF/ Neville Marriner (Philips) is one to be added to EA's list.
                    I would have added it, but it appears not be be generally available.

Comment

I have the CD's of the Houston Grand Opera production. As I am a rabid fan of Bartoli, it is my favorite. Have been thinking of getting the DVD.

John

Comment

Rather a 'narrative' than a 'comparative' BAL but always good to listen to RO's sage tones.

Sadly the music is so far away from anything I would listen to for pleasure that it was all rather academic, for me.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Rather a 'narrative' than a 'comparative' BAL but always good to listen to RO's sage tones.

Sadly the music is so far away from anything I would listen to for pleasure that it was all rather academic, for me.
                          I've never been to, or listened to, a Rossini opera, but listened to this programme because it was RO.
                          What a treat! I loved the way he brought you to appreciate the finer moments, and the humane qualities, of the work. Whole thing left me with a wonderful warm feeling inside. If I had any money, I'd buy the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                          X