X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estelle
    • Nov 2010

Eine Alpensinfonie,
    Are DVD recordings considered for the programme? In any case, for anyone interested, a fine one still exists: a 1991 recording on Arthaus Musik (2006 release) with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Chorus under Sir Colin Davis. The soloists are Hanna Schwarz (Mezzo Soprano), Philip Langridge (Tenor), and Peter Meven (Bass). I found it listed on ArkivMusic.com.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
      Eine Alpensinfonie,
      Are DVD recordings considered for the programme?
      I'm not sure. I recall some DVD versions receiving a passing mention from time to time.

(I'm really quite excited about this BAL. )

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Eine Alpensinfonie

That's a good list to choose from! One omission is the very first recording of the work that I heard, Pierre Monteux with the LSO, Regina Resnik, Andre Turp and David Ward, a Westminster recording available on World Record Club LPs and reissued on a nicely remastered CD set from Universal. A fine performance which still sounds great.
        Yes, I first bought the WRC Monteux recording when I was at school. Shortly afterwards I heard Colin Davis conduct it atr the Festival Hall. I now have Monteux and both Davis LSO versions on CD. Wonderful. I also have the orchestral movements with Giulini and the Chicago SO. They are gloriously played: I wish he had recorded the complete work. He often included the orchestral pieces in concerts.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

BAL just about to start.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Fancey that, JEG!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

I dont know this work at all.

It seems that the JEG selection has silenced the entire MB community.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Perhaps the moment to echo a posting on another thread:

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Perhaps the moment to echo a posting on another thread:
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I thoiught the review was a good one. It certainly helped me in my understanding of the work. A pity that none of the Sir Colin Davis's recordings was chosen.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I thoiught the review was a good one. It certainly helped me in my understanding of the work. A pity that none of the Sir Colin Davis's recordings was chosen.
                      .... altho' he chose JE Gardiner as top dog, he did give Honourable Mentions to Colin Davis [1968 performance] as 'best stereo performance on modern instruments' and also to the Toscanini as 'best historical'...

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                        • Mar 2007

A very decent job by David Nice. I do think that BaL comparisons are more instructive when there are fewer initial recordings to choose from, so we got to hear some contenders several times.

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        A pity that none of the Sir Colin Davis's recordings was chosen.
                        You don't have to go for the one chosen by the reviewer, though, bbm.

I bought the Gardiner set from the US last year and I can understand why it was selected; Berlioz benefits from the clearer textures of period instruments and the work is extremely 'complete', so much so that you can programme three different versions - the standard version, the original version and JEG's preferred version!
                        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

Post 5 Eine Alpensinfonie

There is a Maazel/VPO version. Its on Decca LP SXL 6800 and is billed as "orchestral excerpts": it also features the Vienna State Opera Chorus, but omits the solo vocal parts. I dont know if it ever got to CD, its not listed in the 2010 Penguin Guide. It was recorded in 1972 in the Sofiensaal by a team headed by the famous Kenneth Wilkinson.

As well as Maazel, I've got Giulini with the Chicago SO doing the orchestral music. I also have two complete recordings each on 2 LPs: Davis and the LSO and Chorus with Patricia Kearn, Robert Tear and John Shirley-Quirk, and Munch with the Boston SO and the wonderfully named Harvard Glee Club combining forces with the Radcliffe Choral Society, and three soloists I've never otherwise heard of, Margaret Roggero, Leslie Chabay and Yi Kwei Sze (that's not my fingers slipping, that really is how he's spelled). Anyone know anything about them?

If I had to cut back to just one, I'd be perfectly content with the Davis version.

Comment

• Estelle
                            • Nov 2010

I thought David Nice rather rushed through his final recommendations. He actually recommended three recordings: the first of three Colin Davis recordings, made in 1968 with the LSO, which is the recording mentioned above in Message 27; the 1947/8 Toscanini with the NBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus; and the 1995 John Eliot Gardiner with the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique and the Monteverdi Choir.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Is this the first time the recommended version is not officially available to buy, having been deleted? At the time of the broadcast, it wasn't even available as a download, though it may be in the coming week.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Is this the first time the recommended version is not officially available to buy, having been deleted? At the time of the broadcast, it wasn't even available as a download, though it may be in the coming week.
                                Hi Alpy,
                                Davis's older R & J is still available but as part of a bigger box set:

This is the UK Amazon ad which does not list the works.

The US Amazon lists what is available.

bws, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                X